Sign in to follow this  
J.Lee

Compliments

Johnny B   

loooooooooooooool

No they´re not contradictory, actually many brothers find hijabs so hot they loose control to Satan who takes over their thoughts and makes the eyes behind the "hijab" talk to them,like brother Thinker

now beat that! icon_razz.gif

Blessed   

^Those brothers are tarts dee :D I don't like the fox and crow drill so shaydaan influenced admiration doesn't count.

The hijaab is elegant, sophisticated and beautiful - way beyond hot.

Take note for future use ;) Now, kir.

Pi   

Most people who get compliments are sore reciepients of praise. They just dont know how to accept a compliment. Modesty often backfires just like over-confidence does. Dont make the person who complimented you walk off with his or her tail between their legs. If the person says your good looking or that your smart, dont tell them that you're not (superficial modesty). Dont comment too much on thier compliment. Just thank them. That simple. Accepting compliments is one of the keys to success. Ask Carnegie. :D

Mida kale, though there are several incidents which sparked this hatred if you will, most of it stems from being singled out: I'm not one of those people that wish to blend in to the silent crowd but neither do I wish to be noticed; I would sit loudly you see in such a crowd laakiinse I abhor attention garnered due to my genetic design (that is if it's not of the mental kind) especially my outer appearance.

Here is an idea Jimcalee; Stop hanging out with UGLY people :D

Anyway,my dear sister,in the words of one Pharell & Snoop D. Double G: There's something about you....

Ohhh-ohh-oh-ohhh-ohhh... (Oh-hooo!)

Yeahhh, yeahh, yeah, yeahhhh... (Ehh... oh yeah, there's something about

you...)

[Chorus 2X's]

Beautiful, I just want you to know (Oh-hooo!)

You're my[THE] favorite girl... (Ehh... oh yeah, there's something about you...)

Originally posted by Jimca Lee:

A compliment given in regard to looks never appeals to me and this is something I have noticed for quite awhile now. I literally cringe whenever some feels inclined to share their appreciation of my looks...

Dr. Freud notes the patient's defense mechanism: denial. The ineffable denial of the self-evident affable nature of compliments.

And links it to possible cause/s:

...though there are several
incidents
which sparked this hatred if you will, most of it stems from being singled out...

There were 'incidents' of which we are deprived of any knowledge. Meandering through the patient's longwinded psychobabble, this interesting passage caught the distinguished Doc's eye:

You see, I hold this vision of myself as being like and looking like any other female on this planet and compliments threaten that view in the sense that it is given due to difference and in direct correlation with the varying degrees of beauty glimpsed [on your outer shell] by the naked eye: an eye which I wish was blind most of the time.

Hanging on reality by strand of hair! Very bizzare self-perceptions that says oodles about the patients mental state.

But Dr. Freud must carry on his meticulous psychoanalysis.

Compliments are sort of like an invasion, a defiling of my women's body
: since in order to give a compliment one must of have been looking and seeing (without permission)...

Ten fold increase in concern over the extent of patient grasp on reality. Dr. Freud is deeply unsettled.

How do you (yes, you) feel about getting [or giving if that is your thing] compliments from [and to]strangers?

My feelings isn't much different from the next guy. I either thank the person for the compliment and/or return the compliment in kind. But then I'm Dr. Freud and you got issues!

Ibtisam   

hhm, i agree with jimca Lee, its strange, but i hate it when people say "you look nice, or why are you dressed up, or that colour suits you, or your hair looks nice" it annoys me mor than anything, and i try and change the subject as fast as possible "you don't look too bad your self, anyway today...."

i think it is just uncomfortable. and by the way, i don't mind if the person happens to be female, or married or over 40 or white :D anyone outside of that category. i get ready to ruuuuuuuun

Ibtisam   

more like the pretty/ good looking people, leave people speechless, until they open their mouth, and you notice its just a pretty face and nothing else to it. :D:D

don't worry about me, i'm just hating, turning green with jealousy / envy ;)

Interesting. It took me a long time to accept compliments in a socially acceptabel way. Suffice to say I had issues. Now I just say, thank you, that's very kind. It's not quite an acceptance yet, more an acknowledgement.

I reckon once u start lapping up positive comments, u should be open to negative ones too. If u have an ugly eye and someone says so, is that any less relevant an observation than having your beautiful nose commented upon?

Rowda   

"People with average looks and intellect recieve compliments; those who are beautiful & smart leave one speechless."

loool,I remember one of my girls complaining about some somali wedding we went and no one hit on her that night not even a simple compliment. Sure she is 5.8in, has a body to kill for and smile like a Mona Lisa but the fact that she was bitter about was really funny not to mention it was six of us. I still give her hard time about how shallow she sounded eventhough that is futher from the truth.

Most women loooooooove compliments, its only human nature but it must be suitable time when one initiates a compliment and it has to come from farah iskudhacaya hadii kale waa wakhti lumis or even insulting at times nooh?? :D

I don’t mind being at the receiving end, complements are flattering until they turn into an excuse for sexual assault redface.gif . If a certain stranger suddenly has the urge to let me in on his admiration of my beauty, I politely say thank you and hurry away unless the certain stranger in question is a total stud then things take different shape. But when the compliment becomes an assault it goes something like this.

Couple of months ago, I was at a store shopping when I heard the unmistakable Faarax voice, “WOW who is that angel� I knew I shouldn’t have turned around but I did :( . The middle-aged guy with the accent was staring at me, eyes popping out and mouth wide open. What happened next was so unexpected and unheard of, it makes me shiver redface.gif .

The stranger: stares nerviously and says: gabaryahey, your eyes, Oh and your lips. Oh that body, gorgeous! You know what I want to do you? Waad I himi kicisey. With the biggest acent, “ I want to roll on the mud with you. Oh..Umm dat body…if you were my wife waan ku huwan lahaa. U look soo good. Um.. ah,, your sooooo sexy. Mac mac!

Me: with my eyes bulging out and my mouth so dry you think I've been drinking salted water, excuse me?

Stranger: what, why I cant tell you how hott and sexy you are?

Me: war isku xishoo, excuse me?

Stranger: your sooo hot, I want to buy you a gift, ummm… God.. Oh girl you should be a model.

Me: Fcuk off you jerk

The stranger : waa kaa saa. You cant complement on a somal girl.

I walked away from the store in tears. I swear I've never felt so violated. And when I came outside he was informing others of how rude I was :mad:

-----------------------------------------------

Get Up!Up Even the best fall down sometimes

A compliment given in regard to looks never appeals to me and this is something I have noticed for quite awhile now. I literally cringe whenever some feels inclined to share their appreciation of my looks, to a point that I find myself either giving them a bland smile or ignoring them rather than saying thank you, and it's not that I'm uncomfortable with how I look but the fact that they appreciate it enough to share it which irks me.

Abaayo macaan, your words remind me of that vain woman in the childrens story "mirror mirror, who is the fairest of them all" or atleast SHE enjoyed compliments. Vain, utterly vain.

Hate, cringing, abhor and emotional are quite serious words for a mere compliment!

Accepting compliments graciously is not a talent which many are blessed with. However, with forethought and practice, we can all learn to receive and give compliments.

I'm not one of those people that wish to blend in to the silent crowd but neither do I wish to be noticed; I would sit loudly you see in such a crowd laakiinse I abhor attention garnered due to my genetic design (that is if it's not of the mental kind) especially my outer appearance.

The idea of being "one of the crowd" is comforting and warm im sure. To stand out, for many is like being out there in the open where its cold and you are exposed! Although, i find it odd that some one will single you out from a crowd just to compliment you on your "genetic design".

There are many reason why people find it difficult to accept "amaan". Perhaps they feel unworthy, they are not used to them or you just find the "amaan" insincere. What ever the reason, its best to discount all these suspicions and negative emotions and take compliments at face value. Instead of fumbling, a simple thank you will let both of you off the hook.

Persians have the most clever way of accepting a compliment. For example if you compliment someone on nice clothes they are wearing, they answer "Thank you, its your eyes that are beautiful for seeing the goodness in this". That way they are acknowledging the compliment, thanking the person and subtly sending accross the message that the complimenter is astute for recognising that a particular style or colour looks good on them , instead of being rude or negative which destroys the good feelings the complimenter was attempting to engender.

So abaayo macaan, next time some one compliments you, just smile graciously, say thank you and move on... ;)

Zafir   

Here is my dilemma ladies.

A compliment to a Somali gal from a Somali guy doesn’t hold the same water as compliment from a foreigner. Why is that? Somehow I suppose you gals hold a presumption, that we are after something or we’re perverts when we dish out compliments about ya’ll beauty.

True Story

1999 San Diego, California my friend and me were waiting for a bus at the bus stop, when this Somali gal came and was also waiting for the bus. There was this black dude (African American) that was standing there, we was just staring at this gal for few minutes and then decided talk to her. Here’s what he said to her

African American dude: Dayyymm, baby you look fine as hell, look at the size of your back, uummh uumh your legs in em jeans. Baby I just couldn't walk away with out telling you look beautiful.

Somali Gal: Giggles (like a five year old) thank you, you’re so sweet.

The African American dude thinking he done it, he made the Mack move and she will came chasing, walks away (Obviously he didn't know much about Somali gals)

Me and my friend heard the entire exchange, so I asked my friend if i were to say all that the African American said, what do you think she might say? He said, “I don't know. But dude, don't.†So I got up and approached her.

Me: Yarta, abaayo Jir mac ah aa kugu yaalo, dib dey, xabad dey, lugo faras aa ku saaran. abooyo macaan qalin biire maa laguu sameeyey?

Somali gal: Kaniis, aabahaa @@@, maxaa ii maleeysay, waxaan anshax laheen aa tahay.

Yaabka ma ila aregteen, gacan eeba gaartay. hada walaalayaaloow maxaa ka qaldan sheekadaan.

Ani maa waalan? Idinka ii sheega dadoow.

:D