Sign in to follow this  
J.Lee

Compliments

Yeniceri   

Me: Yarta, abaayo Jir mac ah aa kugu yaalo,
dib dey, xabad dey, lugo faras
aa ku saaran. abooyo macaan qalin biire maa laguu sameeyey?

Somali gal: Kaniis, aabahaa @@@, maxaa ii maleeysay, waxaan anshax laheen aa tahay.

ahah I couldn't help but laugh dude! So, you're basically saying that, with some Somali chickas, foreigners have a better chance of scoring the penalty than us fellow Somali males? :confused:

Good thing that we have unlimited access to the Reserve Squad - all those chickas back home.

LoooooL..Zafir..may be u have chosen the wrong words..hehe...or she doesn't like to be compared to an animal..hehe. :D:D

Waxay ahayd inaat tiraahdo

" Qunyar socodka iyo laafyahaan ku raacoo.."

Mise inaad la soo boodo

"dhuubooy dhilaneey, dhex yareey hab aan ku siiyee shafka i saar" :D

Cheers

^ lol

no i know what you mean girls i hate getting complements, i mean, man some girls are on hormone overdrive, its like their brain is swimming in feremones, their constantly coming up to me and are like ' aboowe this, wallal that, saaxiib blah'. Its like just so irretating, you just want them to roll their tongues back up into their mouths.

J.Lee   

^ :D

LOL@Zafir

I think it's more shocking (disgusting really) to hear that type of a comment from a Somali guy-one who shares and knows of your customs-than it's to hear it from a foreigner who doesn't. (I don't understand the giggling though)

Born Friday: what is so vain about being uncomfortable with getting compliments especially those based on your appearance? Why must you thank them, why is that even an expected behavior :confused:

Kii waxaa kuula yimaada; yur dheh :D .

But if it’s from your fellow females, and it’s also a genuine appreciation of your natural beauty, then to thank them is a matter of a good comportment, I think.

Ragga toodu waa ha lagaa sheego.

Jimca Lee, being uncomfortable with accepting compliments is not vain at all...but

I literally cringe whenever some feels inclined to share their appreciation of my looks, to a point that I find myself either giving them a bland smile or ignoring them rather than saying thank you

that is vain. Its just how its worded.

And you must thank them because its polite!

Jimca Lee its OK to be slightly uncomfortable with praises, believe it or not a lot of people dont handle compliments well and in their discomfort make both parties feel awkward. But if you take the drama out of it, you will see its a lovely gesture and a simple thank you could become an automatic answer with some practice.

Haneefah   

I feel you sis! It's anything BUT flattering, and quite degrading if you ask me (assuming of course you're referring to males here)...to me, even those who look beyond the 1st gaze would make me extremely uncomfortable let alone hadal lagugu tuuro. While it's quite unlikely for a modest muslimah who's covered from head to toe to get complementing remarks on appearance from total strangers (the beauty of hijab, alhamdulilah), I wouldn't spare them a 2nd thought/look if it did ever take place.

However, what I personally happen to find quite bothersome is compliments coming from those whom you actually know (ie Muslim male acquaintances), and although they may mean it well and it may just be their way of showing utmost respect and admiration (while some have completely different intentions) , it's still lacking in Islamic etiquette and I make sure I let them know. Nevertheless, I consider it an awakening call for it shows that I might've slipped a bit and revealed a bit more than I should have.

From females, I'm quite indifferent, of course I would still show appreciation and reciprocate (sincerely) smile.gif

Foxy   

by Yanciri

ahah I couldn't help but laugh dude! So, you're basically saying that, with some Somali chickas, foreigners have a better chance of scoring the penalty than us fellow Somali males?

^^

Good thing that we have unlimited access to the Reserve Squad - all those chickas back home.

Let's face it guys...It's a jungle out there for complimenting both genders, in the dating world..

Also, their fear of rejection, lack of confidence, shyness, And for those men who actually do go on beyond the first base/dates, many of them never even get to first base with women :D may be U need to work on certain skills.

· The exact sure-fire words that really work on a women to break the ice

· as far as Zafir’s comments are concerned, he innocently mentioned the exchange between the two re her attention. One must learn languages of the turn offs of a women....the like of him or his mate using an out dated language...could be one or may be just bieng out of tune. icon_razz.gif

There is no Smooth Technique" that turns women attention on to some dude ...Don't try to be a sports hero like god knows what Thierry Henry or Beckham.. Then again If any fella looked liked it had their celebrity status looks than any women would court them! Back to matter at hand. Common Conversational Mistakes, How to Be sure and compliment a woman's place. its not about do it with a hint of experience but rather more with a flow of confidence .. & Please put Time and Effort to it, if one lacks creative efforts, and normally spits sh!ts when ever a pretty women happens to be in the same street then he is doomed for complete shambles …….

As For Yanciri’s comment, Mate U have some issues. If Your only way out of your misery of ever complimenting a Somali women in the west , is as that negative as its of marking her a second class citizen just to fume your Ego, and your partial way of scoring a chick in somewhere back home, must be the fact that you know for sure that the poor soul wont have the ability to sample the product you tend to offer, unlike You, may be you have some insecurities, one wonders why Somali male as you run to Somalia as an alternative choice…ding dong…bell rings…..uncertainty of being manly man runs to mind more to often than usual!!!! Just a random thought!!!! Lord help Your kind

cheers

Mowgli   

I hate them I hate them I hate them!

But ppl seemed to notice my uncomfortableness (is that a word?) and then comment even further making me cringe even more...so at the end of the day...always best to say thank you with a smile

Yeniceri   

Originally posted by Foxy:

As For Yanciri’s comment, Mate U have some issues...may be you have some insecurities, one wonders why Somali male as you run to Somalia as an alternative choice…

Who said I'll "run" to Somalia? I said its a good thing that we have access to the Reserve Squad, in case the nacnacda badan of here falls short of one's expectations. So where do you get this "run to Somalia" crap from? I ain't seen Somalia since I ran the hell away from that place in '91.

And secondly, if a dude chooses to fly back home and get married, its somehow seen as an "insecurity"? Whatever happened to personal choice?

I keep an open door policy in regards to the Reserve Squad. If that makes me insecure, so be it. After all, that's your opinion, but with me, my opinion reigns supreme.

Some woman(Arab)told my best friend whilst we were feasting in our lunch break

"You look sooooo Somali!"

We just stared at her like

*Best John Maccah impression*

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS! :confused:

Tis was a strange lunch break walle....

Anyway it's not the actual fact that a person is complimenting me that weirds me out it's what leaves that apparently somewhat 'generous' thinking space in between their ears that I just feel like stamping my foot in their &*%

Merely stopping someone dead in their tracks by schreeching they are 'tall',or 'OMG you have curly hair!' or 'straight hair' is NOT a compliment to all those freakoids out there who assume so.Its a waste of time and it's called stating freakin' the obvious!

~EXHALES!!!~ :D

Zafir   

L O Z

LoooooL..Zafir..may be u have chosen the wrong words..hehe...or she doesn't like to be compared to an animal..hehe.

Ooo maxaa ka qurux badan FARAS? waa xaywaan aad u qiimo leh. :D

Jimca lee

think it's more shocking (disgusting really) to hear that type of a comment from a Somali guy-one who shares and knows of your customs-than it's to hear it from a foreigner who doesn't. (I don't understand the giggling though

What's shcocking(disgusting) about a somali brother telling a somali sister, she looks beautifull. Are you saying we shouldn't compliment ya'll?

Posted by Zafir

African American dude: Dayyymm, baby you look fine as hell, look at the size of your back, uummh uumh your legs in em jeans. Baby I just couldn't walk away with out telling you look beautiful.

Somali Gal: Giggles (like a five year old) thank you, you’re so sweet.

The African American dude thinking he done it, he made the Mack move and she will came chasing, walks away (Obviously he didn't know much about Somali gals)

Me and my friend heard the entire exchange, so I asked my friend if i were to say all that the African American said, what do you think she might say? He said, “I don't know. But dude, don't.†So I got up and approached her.

Me: Yarta, abaayo Jir mac ah aa kugu yaalo, dib dey, xabad dey, lugo faras aa ku saaran. abooyo macaan qalin biire maa laguu sameeyey?

Somali gal: Kaniis, aabahaa @@@, maxaa ii maleeysay, waxaan anshax laheen aa tahay.

Yaabka ma ila aregteen, gacan eeba gaartay. hada walaalayaaloow maxaa ka qaldan sheekadaan.

Ani maa waalan? Idinka ii sheega dadoow.

LoooooooooooooL....LooooooooL.

adigaa waaaaalan..Taloow miyaad marqaan saneed :D:D