Sign in to follow this  
Afro

Somalis, A NATION WITHOUT HEROs.

Jaylaani   

Why Somalis always have the need to insert religion into the equation every time a social discussion that can create Controversy is initiated.

I know we’re Muslims and our beautiful religion and our prophet (SCW) is the ultimate equalizer but c’mon y’all, this topic is about Somalis and their so-called “HEROESâ€

Back to the topic,

How dare you talk about Af wayne and Mandela in the same thread?

Mandela sacrificed 27 yrs of his life for these n.iggers in South Africa.

On the other hand, Siyad Barre’s legacy is the current civil war of Somalia and the mass graves in Somaliland.

The saddest part of this topic is that all your so- call heroes are “politicians†and warlords. I think that is an epidemic in Somali society. A circle that must be broken.

Why not recognized some of these individuals as your hero among others.

Musse Galaal. (The man who wrote the Somali language)

Gahayr (the only Somali scientist who translated Biology and chemistry books from English to Somali. He was so influential, the national University was named after him)

The youth group of SYL and SNL.

Abdilahi Suldan Tima Cade. The only individual who educated the average Somali people about the colonial system through POETRY.

Khalaf   

I agree with hodman, what do u know IB that we don't know?

SO DO YOU HAVE A HERO, AND PLS TELL US WHO IT IS?

Somali hero…..I don’t know…..I would say any of the men who fought the imperialist kufar Europeans…..paid their life with it…..and won independence for our nation. They are all heroes. And Aideed and his suckers trashed that nation. :mad:

.....it is not necessarily a good things, not from my perspectives, because if it was not for him, Somalis would've still been using Arabic, and i would be having an easy life.

IB we have our own culture and language of our forefathers, we share religion with the Arabs.....thats it....we have our own identity.

whats up with you and arabs?

You are looking for a Somali Hero?

Open your eyes and look around. The average Somali is more of a hero than any political/religious figure you could come up with. Those who have survived the traumatic atrocities of the war and who went on to prosper are heroes.

The women and girls who were practically eaten up and destroyed in African Refugee camps, but who lived through it and carried on with their lives are heroes.

Those who died protecting their families are heroes.

Those and more are my heroes.

Maybe you should broaden your criteria of what makes a hero. A 'unifying' figure is far too vague.

J.Lee   

^Preach Chile.

Afwayne? Wow. War wax off and wax on.

Whatever deeds that man did, evil or virtuous may they be he'll be answerable. After all alle gacantiisa ayuu ku jidhaa but you are still amongst the living: still alive to correct your misdeeds. Start now and repent for disrespecting the dead.

Garaan was ethiopian :confused: lol Okay. Now, I have read it all. Care to cite your source walaal?

Soomaali waxba iskuma quuraan. Kaliya waxee fiiriyaan yuu yahay, not muxuu u qabtay Soomaalida.

Aniga caawa Xaawo Taako aan dhahaa. Yaa eed ka qabo? I am sure dad Soomaali ayaa jiro oo dhihi doono she was a 'provocateur,' thus bordering 'terrorist.'

Modesty   

Yes, Siyad Barre was a hero in my book. He was the only man with the courage and strength to unite a nation of clannish rivaleries. He gave money to clans that felt were outnumbered, he built the great road that connects Puntland and kunfurta...and many people in that area told me without that road they don't even know how they would manage to live. Today, there is no such man that can do half of what Siyad Barre did for Somalia, when he was in power we were a people with pride, and we somewhat had respect in the international community. Today, even if Abdulahi Yusuf is the president, although I admit he is a strong leader, I don't think he can unite the country as better as Siyad Barre did. Allah ha uu naxaristo.

ScarFace   

Originally posted by ibtisam:

Maybe you were happy, healthy and eating well, but there are many who will disagree with you.

Well Iby I didnt have the pleasure of growing up in somalia at time......just like you am more fish an chips but with better somali :D .......but if i could turn back the clock i would definitely want to be in somalia between 1960-1980 when the country was actually something.......

not every leader is perfect.....the only problem was he sat on the chair far too long...but thats africans for you

-Lily-   

I think it all depends on what you take as a hero. No one would deny that S’Barre did a lot for Somalia as a country, he made the region develop etc etc. We are not downplaying his political achievement. However, a hero is a person with integrity & much humanity. I doubt those things can be said about any political leader.

I have to go with Ahura’s line of thinking. My hero is my grandmother who at the beginning of the war saved 15 young local guys from getting killed just because they were from the wrong tribe. They stayed on her roof for a week, then she walked with them in the middle of the night for miles and miles to take them to an area where their people lived. I don’t think she was the only one, there must be hundreds of other Somalis like her and they are our true heroes.

Afro   

Yes the prophet PBUH is a our hero and the greatest ever to come out, but he is not only a hero for somalis, but for the whole humanity "We sent you mercy to human kind" quranic quote.

But we are descusing here local hero, I mean somalian heroes who were born and bread in somalia, Do we have any????? that is the $64 thousand question.

What about less known heroes, such as the 10 wadaado who were murdered by uncle Siyaad because they defined his beleives, surely they were heroes.

facklexm   

If any Somali is going to hell, the first one is going be, Siyad Barre. The guy was a dictator who only cared about his clan, and you are calling him a Somali hero?

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Modesty:

Yes, Siyad Barre was a hero in my book. He was the only man with the courage and strength to unite a nation of clannish rivaleries. He gave money to clans that felt were outnumbered, he built the great road that connects Puntland and kunfurta...and many people in that area told me without that road they don't even know how they would manage to live. Today, there is no such man that can do half of what Siyad Barre did for Somalia, when he was in power we were a people with pride, and we somewhat had respect in the international community. Today, even if Abdulahi Yusuf is the president, although I admit he is a strong leader, I don't think he can unite the country as better as Siyad Barre did. Allah ha uu naxaristo.

This is appalling - It would be wrong to say he did nothing positive - but his overall record is horrible and resulted in the civil war and ultimate collapse of Somalia. How you can mention hero and Barre in the same sentence is beyond incomprehensible.

naema   

i would say Siyad Barre is my somali hero the guy did alot of things and i cant believe some of u r being haters... besides i dont get when the rule of this site no insulting others... how come pple called Siyad Barre names he is dead... also is hurting a lot pple 2 see that family member who is dead is being insult everyday in saomaliaonline... shame on u guys....