Sign in to follow this  
Afro

Somalis, A NATION WITHOUT HEROs.

When Siyaad Bare (allah haa u naxariisto) came into power, the whole Somali nation flocked to the streets and rejoiced; why would they do that? The reason was that the previous governments were corrupt; there was absolutely no form of equality, as many of you would like to believe. There were no rebellions in Somalia before 1987: were a group (thee SSDF) of men who all hailed from the clan that lives in northeastern Somalia, and who believed that it was their divine right to be the only leaders in Somalia, and could not except the fact that a man who hails from a different clan be in power, attempted a coup right after the Og*den War -which was a war to liberate our fellow Somalis from the Ethiopian empire, and its disrespectful of you to utter the word “useless†in the same sentence, when so many men have lost their live in the hope of uniting all of Somalia- with the help of our foe Ethiopia; the country we had recently fought. Their plan was foiled, and the treasonous were executed. As for the second rebels, the SNM, their rebellion was ignited by the ban of Khat and their envy of the flourishment of Mogadishu, and as of yet I have no idea what else could have motivated them to rebel, care to explain (try not to be so “obvious†this time) smile.gif Just as the previous rebels they went to Ethiopia for help, and they had to be dismantled because they were bring corruption; while in the process few innocent people died, just as in all wars. Siyaad Bare (allah haa u naxariisto) cared for his people, he was nationalist; just as dhubad pointed out, he had no homes, tell me of a president that has no home that he bought; he always put the interest of the masses before his self-interest, and I believe that your are blind to the goodness of Siyaad Bare (allah haa u naxariisto) because of clan hatred.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Pure blood:

When Siyaad Bare (allah haa u naxariisto) came into power, the whole Somali nation flocked to the streets and rejoiced; why would they do that? The reason was that the previous governments were corrupt; there was absolutely no form of equality, as many of you would like to believe. There were no rebellions in Somalia before 1987: were a group (thee SSDF) of men who all hailed from the clan that lives in northeastern Somalia, and who
believed
that it was their divine right to be the
only
leaders in Somalia, and could not except the fact that a man who hails from a different clan be in power, attempted a coup right after the Og*den War -which was a war to liberate our fellow Somalis from the Ethiopian empire, and its disrespectful of you to utter the word “useless†in the same sentence, when so many men have lost their live in the hope of uniting all of Somalia- with the help of our foe Ethiopia; the country we had recently fought. Their plan was foiled, and the treasonous were executed. As for the second rebels, the SNM, their rebellion was ignited by the ban of Khat and their envy of the flourishment of Mogadishu, and as of yet I have no idea what else could have motivated them to rebel, care to explain (try not to be so “obvious†this time)
smile.gif
Just as the previous rebels they went to Ethiopia for help, and they had to be dismantled because they were bring corruption; while in the process few innocent people died, just as in all wars. Siyaad Bare (allah haa u naxariisto) cared for his people, he was nationalist; just as dhubad pointed out, he had no homes, tell me of a president that has no home that he bought; he always put the interest of the masses before his self-interest, and I believe that your are blind to the goodness of Siyaad Bare (allah haa u naxariisto) because of clan hatred.

The clan based sickness affecting Somalia is personified above. The line of thinking goes like: everyone else is wrong, I/my clan is right; anyone who suffered and their suffering doesn't matter.

At the end of the day - the best way to sum up Siad Barre's rule is - what was the end result? The collapsed state we see today. I guess you are happy with that. :rolleyes:

First of all my comment is not specific to this case because I'm proudly ignorant of somali politics and want to stay that way.

But PLEASE stop wit the stup!d trend of 'let's not be judgemental...let's all hold hands and sing about world peace' blah blah blah crap. Please lord, if I want to hear that vomit inducing, overused and misunderstood statement I would go watch Oprah or Dr. Phi. True, it's not good to speak ill of the dead, in fact it's prohibited. But evil people are evil regardless of the state of their body/soul. If someone is an evil prick...then death won't change that. Stop sugarcoating the vileness under the pretext of 'ohhhhhhhh...let's be all nice...let Allah judge. *hurls* I always tend to think those kind of people are either very simple minded or have an ulterior motive (again not relating to Mr. Barre, my family has thankfully never talked to me about politics or clans, ever...but I'm so sick of that pathetic little phrase.)

Evil is evil and u should call it that whether that person is dead or not. Stop being such hypocritical punks. Your just supposed to refrain from bad mouthing dead people who can't defend themselves for the heck of it. BUT HEY. DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. I DON'T WANT YOU FINGERPOINTING ME IN AQHIRA, BLAMING ME FOR UR DAMBI. :D

In other news, today was my last day of exams. YES! Praise the Lord. What a soul sucking week. Gotto take my nap now.

Tata icon_razz.gif

Castro   

Siyaad Barre was a decent man. He was also the twice-removed-great-uncle of my third cousin. To all of you haters out there who suffered his (intentional) cruelty and brutality, tough luck. You just didn't belong to the right clan and there ain't a damn thing we can do for you. To those who belonged to his clan but still got stiffed by our great leader, tough luck as well. You can submit your cries in the form of a river. But to all those who miss him (as I do) and the good life he provided us, I say rejoice for we are soon to be with him again. In Hell, Allah willing.

Some people are energetic when discussing clan-related topics. Somalia is sadly one of the few places in the world that still holds on to this barbaric notion (tribalism) that rest of the world has abandoned over a 1000 years ago. Siyaad Barre is dead and saying he is evil will not change anything. May the wounds heal and may the paranoia and bitterness disappear for forever. Ameen.

Gabbal   

The current situation is a direct result of the Siyaad’s bad rule, which has been reproduced, time and time again.

Ibtisam you are saying you are not tribalistic in your assesment of Siyaad? Sis, in all honesty, the Ethiopian state and the Somali state both had back-to-back attempts to overthrow the ruling government in the late 80's, early 90's. Both rebellions succeeded and both Siyad Barre and Menguste Haile Mariam were overthrown. Both were autocratic and ran dictatorships, yet, even though some would allege the Ethiopian peoples were more polarized and oppressed then the Somalis, the Ethiopian state exists today while the Somali state doesnt. No one credits Haile Mariam for the continuity of the Ethiopian state so why should one blame Siyad Barre for the continuity of the Somali civil war when he has absaloutely nothing to do with it? :confused:

But what about Axmed Gurey, well Axmed Gurey was not a somalian, he was an Ethiopian muslim who came to Zeylac to fight against the ethiopian crusaiders.

Why don't you tell as how you got hold of the midwife that helped bring Gurey into this world that gave you such a definite fact my friend?

Abaadir   

The question asked was whether Somalia has heroes? Many chose Siyad Barre to be their hero. That is a legitimate answer to me. Now …We know that Siyad did a lot of good things for Somalia. He is not also blameless for bad things happened during his rule. If election is held in Somalia today, Siyad Barre would win it landslide. If you can read and write Somali language Siyad Barre has influenced you more than any other public figure. So he could be your hero

I believe that Somalia has many heros. To name a few,

Sayid Maxamed Abdulle Hassan

Maxamed Siyaad Barre

13 S.Y.L founders

Ahmed Gurey and more

Ab

RedSea   

Assalamu Calaykum

Atheer Castro welcome back sir, we have missed your presence here in SOL badly. Tell me sir have you been on vacation or what? if so where? --Borame perhaps.

thanks in advance.

Assalamu Calaykum.

Afro   

This is the list of the most influencial somalis in the last century and before, but is any of them a uniting non deviding hero who we can all look up to him/her.

1) Axmed Gurey (freedom fighter against the ethiopians)

2) Sayid Max'ed (freedom fighter against the British colony)

3) Xaawo Taako (first somali female freedom fighter)

4) The 13 SYL founders (intelectual freedom fighters against the italian rule)

5) Adan Abdulle Osman (First president of somalia)

6) A/Rashid Ali Sharmake (Second president of somalia).

7) Max'ed Siyaad Barre (First military president ruled from 1969-91)

8) A/lahi suldan tima cade (the great poet who predicted the mess we are in today)

9) Sh Max'ed Macalin ( one of the greatest sheikh in somalia, was very influencial in his days)

10) Sh Adan Sh.Abhulahi ali ( the great tafseer reader, used to be broadcasted on radio)

11) Sh. Omar farooq, great sheikh with hure admiration and followers.

12) Sh Yusuf Al kowneyn, The man who transilated the arabiq alphabet (Hingaad) into somali.

13) Geheyr (The man who transilated lots of scientific definitions into somali) the national university was named after him.

14) Max'ed Ibrahim Igal, (First primeminister of somalia, and first president of indepedent somaliland).

15) Yusuf garaad Omar ( the head of BBC somali section) very influencial some people even call him the unarmed warlord.

16) Hadraawi (great poet, and peace activist).

17) Ma'ud cise sangub ( great poet, and song writer).

18) Suldan hurre (peace activist shot dead in puntland 2002).

19) Keinaan, ( very popular peace rapper).

20) Abdi Bile Abdi ( first somalian world champion sportsman, and sadly the last).

This is some of the most influencial somalis I can remember, they are from almost every part of life and also every corner of the country. If you can't find your clansman from the list, please don't be angry at me, just add him on the list and tell us why is he/she there.

nemo   

Originally posted by Afro:

If you can't find your clansman from the list, please don't be angry at me, just add him on the list and tell us why is he/she there.

LOOOL that truely deserves a gold logie :D:D

Ibtisam   

If you can't find your clansman from the list, please don't be angry at me, just add him on the list and tell us why is he/she there.

i can't find mine :mad: :mad:

he is called ABDI ABDI MOHAMMED, he is from cave town :D:D

nemo   

Well where can I start? This is so pathetic that we are arguing about Siyad Barre. If he is hero or not? Well let me break it to you folks that he is died and no matter if he was a hero or not, he is not with us. Nor help us with are current situation. I can see most people are arguing for clan wise so I won’t join you guys us I have no idea what clan Siyad Barre is from. This does not matter to me as my judgement does not influence me with such thing. This reasoning alone “clan†is WHY for a long time Somalia is going to be without a leader. As you see we the youth are the future leaders of Somalia and if we are basing are judgements on clan. Sorry to say that Somalia will not have a president anytime soon. Maybe next generation or two, where people’s judgements towards political does not influence what clan someone is. It’s sad to think that I will not be in Somalia to rise my children in my home country because as a nation we have not changed are idiotic thinking for all these years. The only reasoning we Somalis are still in a non-Muslim country is this thinking my clan is better than yours. What a childish thinking I say. So to make a long conservation short Somali needs a president that fellows the Islamic laws and does not discriminate any other clan and brings the nation as one Muslim nation. Then truly that guy will get my vote.