Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Blogging from Islii

BiLaaL   

MMA, thanks for the pics and insight. I spent sometime there mid last year. Amidst the boom is a stark poverty which is hard to put into words. During my time there, i came across Somali elders (80+ years) begging on the sidewalks. Given the prideful nature of our people, one can only conclude that severe poverty coupled with lack of familial support forced these elders to beg on the streets. These elders would not have imagined that their former state of being independent, proud Somalis earning their livelihoods on Somali soil - would one of day turn to a state of begging on the streets of Islii alongside poverty-stricken Kenyans.

On the bright side, the kind of business ventures devised by Somalis and taking place in Islii are so ingenious, complex and simple all in one - that it would put the most complex case studies/models of the world's premier business schools to shame.

Thanks for the updates. Keep safe.

Hallo MMA!

Nice pics and info. Thanks. By the way where is the Nomad palace hotel located? Along Pumwani road ama? And is it owned by the same family that owns Nomad palace of Garissa?

Malika   

nuune, haye - step into my office, bring the quotes and charts with you..lol

Bilaal - indeed, seeing elders and children begging was hard to observe.

Malika, Islii la'aan waa abaar. Runtii, I don't think I would have stayed this long each time I visit at any other part of Nayroobi, and yes, that includes high-end residential estates and blocks of Lavington, Westlands and Hillgam.

Nuunka, maya, maqaayadaan waxee ku taalaa 12ka, waxee ku dhagantahay meesha basaska Gaarisa ka baxaan, gaar agaan e-coach iyo g-coach kuwaas. Agagaarkaas dhan hadda Kilimanjaro la dhahaa.

Libaax, waxaas waa iska sheeko maryooleey. Dadka hadda wax dhisanaayo waa dad isku dardarsado lacagaha, buying flat apartments in design and paying half in pre-construction and the other half post-construction. Depending of the location and prime floor, the flats cost about between $49,000 to $55,000.

Saak, ileen ninkaas Marx uu ahaa. Muxu kugu maagay ninkaan cusub islahaaba. Even Marx hadduu yahay xataa waxba kama galabsan ee ma'ogidiis. Perhaps his banning inaa ka qeybqaatay amuu mooday.

Wyre, goormaa Islii ka tagtay?

Bilaal, adaa mudan, walaaloow. Waana ogaha, waana la socdaa dhibka heysto dadkeena. Dal burburay dadkiisana wuu la burburaa, taas isweydiin maleh. Believe me, though, waxa hadda jiro wax ka daran inay jiri lahayd ka cabsi qabay maadaama dad dhan soo wada qaxay nahnay. Waana ogahay elders aad ka hadleysid, waxeena badankooda fadhiistaan in front of Gaarisa Looj. Laakiin intaa arkay waa dhif dhif.

Waana runtaa ganacsiga inta ka socdo ganacsi wuu dhaafay. Nowadays Shiinees hunguri kasoo galay in Islii, oo jidadka ku arkeysaa. They are opening jumlo stores, directly importing their cheap wares into Islii. No middle people needed. Inay suuqa ka saaraan rabaan Soomaalida filaa.

Separatist, waa u maleyaa, koley dadka dego Gaarisa qof kamid ah leh hoteelka Nomad Palace saa u maqlay. I didn't know mid ay isku magac yihiin in uu Gaarisa ku yaalo.

And yes, it is located on Pumwani Rd., just across from Islii Mall/Andalus Hotel.

058.gif058.gif Malika's 'charts and quotes.'

islii.jpg

Home in Islii. We live on the first floor, the two windows on the left. It is located in the centre of Islii.

Those dukaamo on the main floor space. Guess how much they cost just to have its keys in order to rent? Between $23,000 to $25,000. Yep, there is no typo, that is $25,000. Just to have the keys and the monthly rent -- which is an extra $350 -- does not include. And no, it is not deposit. shocked-smiley-9474.gif?

Laakiin aad ugu socdaan dadka leh. Qaarkood Reer Mareykan share ku lehba.

nuune   

^^Yes, the Nomad Palace hotel is owned by the guys at the same hotel of Nomad Palace Garissa, I had the pleasure of meeting them last year, their business module is what amazed me, they have identified several places to launch new hotels in the coming years, and that includes inside Somalia(Puntland & Somaliland), they know the risks and the product market, with all that, they are reluctant, after all, they are building a brand name, that is Nomad Palace Hotels.

Laakin $25,000 dollars a year for a key is too much sxb, inside Amal Mall miyaa oo u dhaw 6th street ka soo hor jeedo, you can get the key for $5,000 dollars sxb, you also pay monthly payments of $200 dollars, the dukaamo are for dhar and their space maybe little, but that is how all the dukaamo are.

For anyone who needs a key for less money, I have the connections

lol@Malika's charts, illeen sheekadu hadey charts ka bilabato the forecast is success smileys.gif

The Zack   

$25,ooo? Meesha nimanku maxey ku gadaan tolow. It must be more than mere groceries and bacadle in the place. There is gotta some profit meeshaas.

nuune   

^^ Zack, very simple sxb, small profit on every quantity does the trick, for example, having 500 shirts in your store(each one costs you say 300 shilling($4 or $5 dollars), and you want to sell them about 1,000 shilling($12 dollars) each, that may make the average person run away and look elsewhere for cheaper shirt to buy, so in your case, if you are smart, you can sell the shirts at a price of 500-600 shilling($6 or $7 dollars), and you will see all your 50 shirts gone in just a small period of time, even half a day or hours.

So, these guys they don't care if they sell it in cheaper price as long the stock is cleared quickly, imagine 500 shirts that you sell in 6 or 7 dollars in one go or two, so it is better than waiting to sell them for 12 dollars and they fill your store forever.

You get the drift, the less profit, the more quantity, the huge turnout.

and the rent doesn't matter, 25 thousand dollars a year, divide it the stock you will have, say you have a quantity of 10,000 mixture of clothes and electronics, divide your rent using the stocks you have, and you won't worry about paying rent or how higher it is.

The Zack   

Nuune, gartay gartay. Even though it is bit confusing, that definitely makes sense now. You sound like you have tried this business before :D.

Che LOOL@student budgets. Dhakhuul waaxid, go and enjoy real vacation in real hotels ninyahow.

nuune   

^^ smileys.gifZack, no I have not tried that, but have good xog-ogaal of how things work down there, haye you want join me and Malika, welcome sxb

lool@dakhuul, waa run, Che waa ardey, laakin anaa u sheegayo budget hotels, if you ever come to Nairobi, try, baraka hotel, towfiiq hotel, hamdaan hotel, kariim hote, you will sleep less than 500 shilling a night, that is around 4 or 6 dollars a night, if you want a budget food, I can tell you few places if you want, qaad places, the best place if you want, and best places to buy from it smileys.gif

^LooooooL@Nuune...no qaad places. You are going for the full experience. What are the amenities in these hotels and how far are they from downturn?

What would you recommend for Garissa?

The Zack   

Che, I am sure you will find a decent hotel in Nairobi if you are willing to pay about $100 a night. I would pay that for a vacation that is couple of weeks long. Anything longer than that aint vacation any more, it is more like winning the lottery and not working any more.

Nuune LOL I would join you guys if my friend Ali didn't disappoint me six months ago. He saved about $80K in several years from his full time job and went to Nairobi. His intentions were to start some sort of business in that city. When Ali was there for a week and rested well, he decided to start looking for some kind of idea on the businesses that were booming at the time. Before he started dealing with the "big business" owners Ali decided to meet his aunt who owns sandaqad yar oo dahable and other stuff ay ku gaddo. He asked her how much her sandaqad was worth and how the business in Eastleigh is. Guess what, she told him that "business isn't that good these days". She also told him that she had about $110K in cash and about $30k in Dahab and alaabo kale. Ali was shocked and flew back to the US next day.