Sign in to follow this  
Viking

Women 'get blame for being raped'

Castro   

^ Absolutely not. Not under any circumstance. If the ultimate goal is to procreate, I've enough charm, good looks and wit to entice any (ok, some) woman to have kids with me (though I'm now done having kids). I would not resort to rape for any reason.

Baashi   

^ :D Even if she is so inviting so provacative and showers u with kisses going all over u half-naked in the privacy of her room making u all worked up and aroused :D ...but last minute when going gets lovely and Castro reaches the point of no return she makes a u-turn and says NO PLZ STOP! In this situation, r u claiming that u would not be a human?

Disclaimer: I'm not in any way or form condoning rape or making exceptions. I understand NO means NO as they advertise it in college dorms.

Baluug   

I gotta jump in with my $0.02 here. We've covered the alcohol part, so everyone knows alcohol is a no-no(geez, I guess that's why it's XARAAM, eh!!).

As for appearances, it is by no means an excuse to rape a woman, but it does play a part. There is a reason why Allah SWT has instructed women to wear hijab and that is so they may be recognized as "free respectable women and not be molested" as the English translation says. A man is more likely to be aroused by a woman wearing next to nothing and not by the woman who is covered from head to toe. There's something about a covered woman that just screams out "Don't touch me".

Sheherazade's case is a rare one in which the guy was just a f**king id*iot who likes bother Muslims, most likely because of some ill-conceived notion that we're all blood-thirsty nutcases.(Sheh, you live in Toronto, don't you? Just draw out a sketch of what this guy looks like and I'll gladly make the plane trip down to beat the sh*t out of him and drag him to your doorstep to apologize :D )

Castro   

Originally posted by Baashi:

Even if she is so inviting so provacative and showers u with kisses going all over u half-naked in the privacy of her room making u all worked up and aroused
:D

If that happens, then failures have occured on many levels. I can't possibly be caught in a situation like that. Unless I actively campaign for it, of course. That is unlikely at this stage in my life. Highly unlikely.

x_quizit   

The issue here isn't someone's dress/location/what they had to drink,etc. Let's narrow the discussion to rapes in so called muslim countries, and let's take out alcohol.

Rape is as prevalent in those places as it is in so called "gaalo" countries, so what excuse can we use now? The woman's hijab had too much glitter on it? Also for those who wear modest clothing and no hijab, does that mean they ask for it? and should they be partly to blame for not covering their hair but covering their body?

Like Castro/raxma were stating, no women ever looks to be raped or asks for it, i don't care if she's walking around butt naked, the main issue is the man's need to assert control and dominance over the female and the best way to show who's the boss is to overpower her with their brute strength and take away what dignity the woman had by partaking of her charms w/o her consent.

It's highly dangerous/irresponsible to lay the blame, even a 10th of it on the female because that means, the animal/perpetrator, is that much less off the hook for his transgression. Rape is psychological warfare and for some to reduce it to inconsequentional stuff such as dress, takes the focus off the offender and places the guilt squarely on the victim, ie women-the convenient scapegoats since the dawn of time. Rest assured, that offender will rape again, whether the victim is 14 or 84. (ex, read in the paper recently that an 84 yr old woman was raped, so were her false teeth and flashy cane to blame?) Some may say its rare, but it isn't, what all those have in common, from 12-elderly, is that all the victims were perceived weak/vulnerable, therefore the rapist feels like they can take advantage at those who may not be able to fight back.

Viking-I see where you are going with the hijab and how that can act as a deterrent, but sadly that's not always the case, so what now? How will u console those women who were fully dressed, what will u tell them caused the rape? U see, its never the victim's fault, its always the rapists, the sooner we get that, the sooner we may help to prevent those men from raping in the future by coming up with feasable solutions and dealing with their control issues rather than pointing the finger at the woman.

Putting the blame on the woman victimizes her all over again, not only is she raped by the offender, but by the justice system/society as well. And we wonder why most rape cases aren't reported. :rolleyes:

Putting the blame on the woman victimizes her all over again, not only is she raped by the offender, but by the justice system/society as well. And we wonder why most rape cases aren't reported.

^^

You are 100% right. She shouldnt be blamed for being a rape victim.

The issue is(Reasonably speaking)being careful & dressing responsibly. The key is to having a positive outlook on the prevantative measures to be taken to curb rape. It should not be about The man,as any man who rapes is definetly pyschotic and deserves his balls roasted on a grill & serve it to the dogs,prefferebly with a tortilla bread.

As well as adressing dress codes,it also comes down to attitudes. "I am not gonna do this becoz its my right" among many other things,aint gonna cut it. Your local police,Rape awareness organizations, & neighborhood watches always advice women not to walk alone, not to walk alone in the dark/alleys ,to protect themselves with mase(sp) & many other methods to reduce the chances of rape.

Its better to be safe than sorry they say. If indeed its prooven(And it has been to some extent) that dressing provacatively has lead to rapes,why in the world would any woman question it?

If the argument is simply about it being wrong,then it is a simple one; Of course it is,but if we are to adress on how to reduce rape cases down to minimum numbers, i say We should explore every concievable prevantative measure.

Just remember you do not have control over pyschotic people, But you have control over where you go, what you do at the places you go & certainly what you wear at some of the places you go to.

Cara.   

^That was pretty exquisite, Rosie.

For those who still give some credence to the idea that the woman is partly to blame, answer the question I asked Seeker: Serbian soldiers gang-raped Muslim women who presumably were far more conservatively dressed than their own women. How much blame would you ascribe to the women? I mean only some of the Muslim women got raped, so the ones that did must have been doing something wrong that the others avoided, right?

Here in the US, rape and other violent crimes has been on the downswing lately.

Not really. Half of all rapes go unreported according to other studies done. Also, I hardly doubt its decreasing, but I would believe it is decreasing because more women arent reporting it.

Johnny B   

It felt like if some here implied that most of us who lack a vertical smile are nothing , but potential rapists who´re deprived of the right moment.

Anyone else who felt pointed at?

Here's what I think:

Rape is a CRIME

If you were a short skirt and a tank top and drunker than a frat boy and raped, a crime has been committed against you.

Even if you are walking around naked (say at a nude beach), it is still HIS fault because HE decided to COMMIT the crime. The responsibility falls on the man, for basically controlling himself and observing the law.

I think pointing the finger back at women who have the backbone to voice crimes committed against them is the reason why so many more rapes go unreported. So in essence, alot more RAPISTS are roaming this earth RAPING other women because they are not behind bars.

As for the hijab factor, I wish they did studies on rape in the muslim world. The issue of rape is a TABOO and about the only ones reported are those committed by total strangers..what about those raped by their FAMILY? How does the Hijab argument work then?

I really despise the "women should cover up so as to NOT turn on men and therefore get raped by them"...

-----

Excuse the grammatical errors :-D long day!

"women should cover up so as to NOT turn on men and therefore get raped by them"...

^^

Absolutely postively in no way should the woman be blamed. If this is solely about Wrong vs Right, The Spin should stop right here. As there is no argument For this. But if its about what contributes to(Factors) rape & debating about wether dressing provacatively is one of the Many factors that leads to rape,then we have a debate.

The larger question is: Is there a chance(Even a 2% chance) that Dressing in a certain way contributes to rape?

Originally posted by Faarax Brown:

But if its about what contributes to(Factors) rape & debating about wether dressing provacatively is one of the Many factors that leads to rape,then we have a debate.

The larger question is:
Is there a chance(Even a 2% chance) that Dressing in a certain way contributes to rape?

Who beats that? I called it priceless! Good job, Faarax-Jaalle! :D

Originally posted by Faarax Brown:

The larger question is: Is there a chance(Even a 2% chance) that Dressing in a certain way contributes to rape?

Please explain how it would contribute to rape?

Ok, so she was wearing a mini-skirt. This turned a pervert on, and when he had the opportunity, he raped her.

Now, does this same man take advantage of a modestly dressed woman if he had an opportunity to rape her?

I think it lies on the potential of a man/woman to become a rapist if the opportunity presented itself, rather than wearing revealing clothes.

Tuujiye   

By DA...

I really despise the "women should cover up so as to NOT turn on men and therefore get raped by them"...

WHY?.......why don't you explain why you despise that?..... Like it or not they are sick horny men out there. Some get turned on by the clothing and the body of the women and some by the looks and her friendliness. Not all men are the same of course. If a woman is covered like how the Qur'aan teaches us, she shouldn't have any worries attracting some sick men. The clothing that allah teaches the women, is clothing against the sheydaan and sick men are the work of sheydaan so as a result, they will stay aways from you.

I will give you and examples...... go to aroos or ruwayad or even the mall. Look at men who are there to look at women. Dress up well covered and walk around, see how many men look at you; and dress like a sl@t and walk around and see how many men look at you or come up to you.. Is a clear fact why crazy stuff happens to women who show off their body and sweet talk men.

In my first year in University, I took an elective class in Sociology. I had a female professor. The first day of class she dressed up like niqaami.. A muslim practicing women. Covered from head to toe with a “shuko†and “jalbaad†. All the kids in the theater class were look at her in a funny way she taught that day in class dressed like that.

The second day in class she came in with the shortest skirt I have ever seen in my life. If she bends down, I could swear her underwear was showing and a top so tight on her that her chest was about to break thru the shirt..kkkk.. anyways, she asked us why we were shocked and looking at her in a such a way?.. We couldn’t answer. She said what I wanted to see is how you judged me. What did you guys think of me from the first day? That I was muslim and a practicing muslim? What makes you guys think that if a muslim dresses up like that, is a practicing one?, and what do you guys think of me now? That I’m a sl@t? why can’t I be a good hard working religious woman who happens to dress like this?..lol… Anyways the point that she was making is that, the mind of the human being is very easy to fool; and the first sight we see on things is what helps us to make a judgment on everday life things. So therefore if a woman dresses in a way that attracts a sick man’s eyes and turns him on, is her fault because the human brain and self makes you do crazy thing.

Wareer Badanaa!!!!