Sign in to follow this  
Viking

Women 'get blame for being raped'

x_quizit   

Liban, u just proved my point...they are sick individuals who would rape a dog if they could, hence the debate that dress has anything to do with it goes out the window! Child, woman, cockroach, it doesn't matter WHO but what matters is why?

Viking, again u didn't answer my q, lets remove alcohol and dress, IN A MUSLIM COUNTRY WHAT WOULD BE THE REASON MEN WOULD RAPE? U see, its the same reason universally, b/c to say that in the west its about dress, and in the east, they are sick, is to split hairs...like castro said, rape is rape anywhere and doesn't need a different definition depending on what society you are in. Dominance, power, control.

As far as the poll u quoted, just b/c those ppl believe a woman shares the blame doesn't mean its right! Polls have also been done stating that islam is an evil religion, should we believe that just b/c some ppl hold those facts to be true to them? It's an opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

In terms of precautions, i agree, never a good idea to drink to oblivion, always be aware of ur surroundings, but at the end of the day, u seem to boil rapes down to those occuring only in those circumstances when they really are a minute part, what about the majority that happen in bright daylight? those that occur within family members(wouldn't believe how many but no one knows the true facts b/c they are unreported and the stigma always is on the woman).

Viking   

X,

We are still talking in a parallel manner and if not careful, we'll be running in circles. A rapist is a rapist is a rapist, whether he rapes out of love, hatred, domination, humiliation or just for fun! Whether the rapist is a Hindu, a Somali or an Aztek, he is a rapist! But a woman who flirts with strangers, drinks excessively, dresses provocatively and walks dark alleys by herself late at night is putting herself in danger. You don't disagree that women should take precautions, these precautions may keep her safe but they don't reform the mind of a serial rapist.

Castro   

^ Atheer Hagar, drop this drunken alley, and not so funny, gag of yours.

Rape: The crime of rape (or "first-degree sexual assault" in some states) generally refers to non-consensual sexual intercourse that is committed by physical force, threat of injury, or other duress. A lack of consent can include the victim's inability to say "no" to intercourse, due to the effects of drugs or alcohol. Rape can occur when the offender and victim have a pre-existing relationship (sometimes called "date rape"), or even when the offender is the victim's spouse.

Even when there is no ability to say no, it's still rape. Lying flat on a gurney in a deep coma, it's rape. Wearing niqaab, it's rape. In a bikini, it's rape. And none of it has a woman's fault. Not 0.5% or even 0.00001%. It is entirely the fault of the rapist. Entirely. Completely. Fully. Exclusively. Unequivocally. Absolutely.

x_quizit   

Viking, exactly, precautions MAY keep them safe for the time being,(not a 100% guarantee) but as u said it urself, they do not reform the mind of a rapist. So what now? Again, answer my question, what makes them rape when factors such as dress or alcohol are removed? let's move on to that question pls instead of reiterating the same views.

Cara.   

But a woman who flirts with strangers, drinks excessively, dresses provocatively and walks dark alleys by herself late at night is putting herself in danger.

But the majority of rapes occur at home, and most women know the rapist (yes, even in the West most victims are not drunk sl*ts in dark alleys). You are simply re-iterating a myth that most rapes are in dark alleys. They are not. We are not arguing that a woman should not exercise caution, just that in most cases a woman is in a situation where she feels safe.

Baashi   

I think we all agree with these two points:

1. Rape is a crime.

2. Victim should not be blamed for being raped.

Is there any disagreement with these two points? No? Moving on...

Now it is in the women's interest to lookout for themselves and avoid all the scenarios that might instigate or induce potential rapists out there to prey on them. We treat our assets with much care; right? We don't neglect our belongings. We make sure it is safe and secure. We do that not because we excuse thieves or justify their acts but we want to deny potential thieves the opportunity to rob us. The same philosophy applies to women safety and wellbeing.

hadey ku yeesho yeel, hadeey ku diido diid!

jak jakatam jakam jakam dhac` Waryaaa!

soomaliaonline maa xoog la keenay hada?

mukoo xaalada waa dhanaantahay.

bes waryaa!

x_quizit   

When men are raped

Men who are raped comprise 5-10% of all reported cases, but studies have shown that 90-95% of male survivors do no report sexual assaults.

Male rape survivors experience a similiar range and intensity of trauma as female survivors. However, there are some important differences in how men deal with surviving a sexual assault:

Male survivors tend to question their sexual orientation. A wide range of physiological responses are normal, including panic, arousal, fear or pain. None of these responses mean that a male rape survivor is or is not gay because of his expeiences.

Many men feel intensified homophobia after an assault, believing that rape and sex are related. Rape is an act of violence and control, not of sexual gratification.

Most men are never taught to live with the fear of their own vulnerability. For this reason, they may experience a heightened degree of shock, surprise or disbelief.

Some men will feel less masculine after being rape. There is tremendous social pressure for men to be "manly" and since rape is believed to be something that only happens to women, or is something that happens to people who are weak, it is normal for male survivors to interpret their experiences in this way.

Stigma around male rape is often so severe that a survivor is likely to deal with his experience in total isolation.

http://multiculturalcenter.osu.edu/repp/page.asp?ID=83

So if appearance and location/alcohol have something to do with women being raped, how can we explain why men are raped as well? Would we use the same excuses, or can we finally put aside the dress debate and really talk about the WHY. Have the men also done something to provoke rape? should they also not walk alone at night? wear burkas? Again, i'll say it t'ill im blue in the face, its an issue of control and no amount of planning can stop a would be predator. If we don't deal with their sickness, many more men/women and children will have to deal with this gross violation and we'll still be debating on what the victim was wearing.

Originally posted by Baashi:

I think we all agree with these two points:

1. Rape is a crime.

2. Victim should not be blamed for being raped.

Is there any disagreement with these two points? No? Moving on...

lol nice!

X quizit..Walaah..I was thinking about saying what about all the raped males? altho I didnt go as far as questioning one's sexuality and all.

But if a guy is raped by a girl. could he blamed that he let it happen? since it is unlikely that she was stronger than him? it is more likely that she will resort to blackmail or threaten him, no? (Remember Prophet Yusuf's Story!)

Surely you can't blame the guy cos of how well dressed he was or how ridiculously good looking he is! (i.e a ZooLander look alike with him magnum look)

I think Ngonge already mentioned this. it is all about morals and where no morals are in play then it comes down to whether someone can get away with it or not!!!

how many would-be rapist had received kicks on the groins or lost of sight for certain hours!! coz where they thought they can over power the would-be victim he unwillingly became the victim...

Ooh well that is me jumping on the bandwagon and insisting of repeating what others have said!! :D:D

isn't that what this whole thread is about?

Cheers

Viking   

Originally posted by x_quizit:

Viking...So what now? Again, answer my question, what makes them rape when factors such as dress or alcohol are removed? let's move on to that question pls instead of reiterating the same views.

What makes them rape? Opportunity, opportunity, opportunity! Home alone, no sharci which means no reporting, flirting, following strangers back to their place or yours, working late, walking home late by yourself, anarchy during wars etc etc. As I said before, the rapist doesn't need a reason, he needs an opportunity to committ the crime.

Originally posted by Callypso:

quote:But a woman who flirts with strangers, drinks excessively, dresses provocatively and walks dark alleys by herself late at night is putting herself in danger.

But the majority of rapes occur at home, and most women know the rapist (yes, even in the West most victims are not drunk sl*ts in dark alleys). You are simply re-iterating a myth that most rapes are in dark alleys. They are not. We are not arguing that a woman should not exercise caution, just that in most cases a woman is in a situation where she feels safe.
Callypso,

Myth or no myth, I was not claiming most rapes happen in dark alleys, it was a mere example to demonstrate that caution must be taken. But you seem to be a bit too clogged to get the drift.