Xaaji Xunjuf

Fawzia Yusuf Haji Adam challenges Kenya's Raila Odinga for African Union's top job

Fawzia Yusuf Haji Adam challenges Kenya's Raila Odinga for African Union's top job

FacebookFacebook messengerTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInTelegramEmail

Thursday February 29, 2024

Fawzia Yusuf Haji Adam celebrates after being re-elected as a federal Member of Parliament in Somalia, December 19, 2021. 

Mogadishu (HOL) - Former Somali Foreign Minister Fawzia Yusuf Haji Adam has announced her run for the African Union Commission (AUC) Chairperson role, setting up a notable contest against Kenya's former Prime Minister Raila Odinga. Adam could be the first Somali to occupy this significant position if elected for the term spanning 2025 to 2028.

Breaking new ground as Somalia's initial female Foreign Minister and Deputy Prime Minister from November 2012 to January 2014, Adam has a history of pioneering achievements. Her tenure was distinguished by diplomatic victories, such as forging major international alliances and promoting Somalia's global standing. Her leadership was crucial in peace-building efforts and re-establishing Somalia's global connections.

advertisements

Adam also plays a vital role in Somali politics as a current member of parliament and leader of the National Democratic Alliance party.

Supported by Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud and Prime Minister Hamza Abdi Barre, Adam's campaign is driven by her commitment to Pan-African unity, sustainable growth, and gender equality. Her comprehensive seven-point plan demonstrates a solid dedication to elevating Africa's influence globally and tackling essential issues like climate change, peace, and security.

Her competitor, Raila Odinga, known for his long-standing influence in Kenyan politics, has secured support from various East African leaders and has served as the AU High Representative for Infrastructure. Odinga's well-established candidacy highlights the intense competition of this election.

Adam expressed her motivations and goals in an interview with Daily Nation: "I have a deep passion for Africa and a strong desire to contribute to the continent's development and progress. By running for the chairperson of the AU, I aim to strengthen the bonds between African countries and work towards a more united and integrated continent.

yeah she sure is qualified and deserves it also she worked hard to get where she is , i remember when she started her own TV station i helped fundraise for her

Illyria   

Good luck to her.

2 hours ago, Xaaji Xunjuf said:

yeah she sure is qualified and deserves it also she worked hard to get where she is , i remember when she started her own TV station i helped fundraise for her

With seed monies she had stolen, and eventually got robbed more than once in Hargeysa.I usually do not like to speak ill of Somali ladies, but will make an exception this one time. She'll only serve herself.

• Thanks 1

galbeedi   

That kind of character should not be sitting at the AU position because I don’t trust her. She might appear  good on paper at the moment, but if her uncle Cirro takes over from Muuse  Mideeye, any thing could happen. 

9 hours ago, Illyria said:

Good luck to her.

With seed monies she had stolen, and eventually got robbed more than once in Hargeysa.I usually do not like to speak ill of Somali ladies, but will make an exception this one time. She'll only serve herself.

thats here say there is no evidence she actually stole any sort of money

Illyria   
3 hours ago, galbeedi said:

That kind of character should not be sitting at the AU position because I don’t trust her. She might appear  good on paper at the moment, but if her uncle Cirro takes over from Muuse  Mideeye, any thing could happen. 

She is merely coasting by the names of her late father (a good man who came well before his time), and husband (former Sr military officer). Nothing more. I could say more about her dreadful public record when she was made Foreign Minister, but enough of her.

2 hours ago, Xaaji Xunjuf said:

thats here say there is no evidence she actually stole any sort of money

More than hearsay, as the gentleman involved shared the facts of the case in person (not that everything he says is the sole truth without hearing her version).

Arafaat   

She is quite popular and respected in Mogadishu, and it would be quite good for the standing of Somali’s is they filled top positions like that.

Somalia and Kenya vie for African Union leadership in upcoming 2025 Elections

Sunday March 17, 2024

Mogadishu (HOL) — Somalia and Kenya are poised for a significant showdown in the upcoming African Union Council Committee elections, which are slated for February 2025. In these elections, they will compete for the organization's top learship positions.

advertisements

The nations are competing for top leadership positions, with Somalia's Fawsiya Yusuf Haji Aden and Kenya's Raila Odinga representing their respective countries. This competition underscores the growing influence and stakes within the African Union.

The leadership contest was a primary focus at the 22nd meeting of the Executive Council of the African Union, hosted at the headquarters in Addis Ababa. Notable attendees included Abdullahi Mohamed Warfa, the Federal Government of Somalia's Ambassador to Ethiopia, reflecting the high-level engagement and interest in the election outcomes.

During the meeting, Mohamed Salem Ould, Mauritania's Foreign Affairs Minister and Chair of the African Union Executive Committee, detailed the preparations for the forthcoming election. His comprehensive report shed light on the procedural aspects and the significance of selecting the Union's next top officials.

In a pivotal address, Ambassador Warfa articulated the Somali government's aspirations and commitment to the African Union's leadership and goals. His speech highlighted Somalia's readiness to participate actively in the Union's initiatives, signalling a proactive stance in regional politics.

The upcoming elections, pivotal for setting the African Union's direction for the next four years, underscore the strategic importance of the leadership roles. With Somalia and Kenya at the forefront, the electoral outcome is expected to significantly influence the African Union's future initiatives and priorities.

well maybe  because raile odinga is a firm believer in the quest of statehood of Somaliland and they believe he will adress the SL issue in the African union so it isnt odd to support him.

having said that i do also believe fawzia is also a believer in Somaliland deep inside i cant believe with my mind that she a daughter of hargeisa wants Mogadishu to rule Hargeisa see in her mind sees the two as different , so i dont think she would be a bad pick . she made allot of remakrs that indicate this even during the times she was the Foreign Minsiter of the Bunker 

and she is also waxay shaqaaliisay allot of her people at the Foreign ministry of the bunker and took allot of Money so i think she is there for her self and nobody else she wants to make a career  i believe she also believes in the Aqoonsi of Somaliland. even more when Ciiro becomes president end of this year

Somalia forms committee to support Fawzia Yusuf Adam’s AU chairperson candidacy

Monday March 25, 2024

FILE PHOTO -  Fawzia Yusuf Adam

Mogadishu (HOL) - Somalia formed an eight-member committee on Saturday to prepare for the African Union Commission (AUC) election campaign. The committee,  led by Prime Minister Hamza Abdi Barre, will support Fawzia Yusuf Adam's candidacy. It includes high-ranking officials such as Daud Aweis, Bihi Egeh, Abdirisak Omar Mohamed, Abdisalam Abdi Ali, Ali Omar, and Abdullahi Ahmed Jama. Jama and Alasow will serve as special envoys focusing on international relations and support for the election campaign.

"The two envoys are in charge of the relationship between the governments of the need for support while carrying out the duties assigned to the Election Campaign Committee for the Chairperson of the African Union Commission," the PM said in a statement.

The committee's primary goal is to garner support from other African nations for Somalia's nominee. In February, Somalia nominated Fawzia Yusuf Adam, a pioneer in Somali politics and the nation's first female Foreign Minister, to contend against Kenya's Raila Odinga for the AUC Chairperson role. Adam, known for her significant contributions, presented a detailed seven-point agenda to enhance Africa's global stance and address critical issues like climate change, peace, and security.

Her opponent, Raila Odinga, a veteran of Kenyan politics with over forty years of experience, has secured support from leaders across East Africa. Seven African Presidents reportedly back his candidacy. 

According to the rotation system established in 2018, the Eastern Africa region is slated to nominate the next AUC Chairperson in February 2025.