Sign in to follow this  
Viking

Women 'get blame for being raped'

Cara.   

Baashi, I did not mean to imply that you condone rape, I was just trying to demonstrate that it takes a "special" kind of man to rape a woman, so your scenario falls flat for your average joe. Most people enjoy sex and want it to be enjoyable for their partner as well. Very few men can maintain an erection when their partner is screaming, crying or otherwise indicating great unwillingness when the erection was induced to begin with by their partner being willing.

x_quizit   

Viking, yet again you missed the issue, which is "why is the man raping in the first place?WHAT ARE THE REASONS?" is it the clothes? NO!, its because HE CAN! Calypso said it and so have I, majority of the ppl who answered in favor of partly blaming the woman have missed that RAPE IS A CONTROL ISSUE and had nothing to do with the victim whatsoever. You keep coming back to women dressing in an inviting manner, but just like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, isn't also what's sexy/inviting in the eye of the beholder too? Many gurls, with or w/o hijab, with no body parts on display, still get harrassed daily by men, so what brought that on? ITS BECAUSE THEY CAN! By reducing a crime to what the victim was wearing/doing, is not only blaming her entirely, (spare me the b.s. of partly for political correctness sake), but letting the offender off the hook. Many young kids (boys/girls) get molested/raped everyday,will you explain to ur child that the nighty she was wearing was alluring to daddy? Again, its about control and taking advantage of the vulnerable, not lil' xalimos pjs.

To some, an ankle is sexy, eyes are sexy, voice is sexy, SHOULD I BE CONDEMNED AND LOCKED UP IN MY HOME BECAUSE SOME MAN MIGHT FIND SOMETHING OF ME SEXY AND TOMORROW I SHALL BE BLAMED IF HE CHOOSES TO VIOLATE ME? :mad:

I get that dressing modestly MAY protect SOME from unwanted attention WHAT ABOUT THE NUMEROUS TIMES A WOMAN GETS RAPED EVEN THOSE THAT ARE HIJABIS? Let's get off the drunk "gaalo", and let's focus on us (muslims)-why does it happen then? Again, its all about CONTROL.

I feel like a broken record and we may never agree, but many young gurls/women's wellbeing depend on us getting the issue of why rapes occur, and not how we can dress better, because like it or not, if someone wants to rape, he will, regardless if she's wearing a bikini, or a burka. Education is the key, sooner we get that, the better off we as a society will be.

sigma   

great topic!!

just something to lighten up the debate

(no offence offered)

ngonge

To expand on one of Ms Dworkin’s theories, every single one of us is a potential rapist.

web page

:eek: check her out,

i'm sorry but looking like that she would be single in alaska

Baluug   

Originally posted by x_quizit:

Many young kids (boys/girls) get molested/raped everyday,will you explain to ur child that the nighty she was wearing was alluring to daddy?

These are acts committed by sick individuals who would rape a dog if that's all there was around. You're kinda going overboard with a ridiculous statement like this.

Originally posted by x_quizit:

To some, an ankle is sexy, eyes are sexy, voice is sexy, SHOULD I BE CONDEMNED AND LOCKED UP IN MY HOME BECAUSE SOME MAN MIGHT FIND SOMETHING OF ME SEXY AND TOMORROW I SHALL BE BLAMED IF HE CHOOSES TO VIOLATE ME? :mad:

No, you should not be condemned and locked up in your house, but you need to realize there are dangerous men all across the world, whether they are Somali or American, and you cannot tell me that appearance has nothing to do with the subject being discussed. I don't believe anyone in here is even thinking that a woman is to blame if she is raped and wore skimpy clothes. Obviously, if man is that horny, then it probably doesn't matter to him what the girl is wearing. But the point that I, and others I believe are trying to make is that it doesn't help the situation out at all. After all ,we've gone over the verse in the Qur'an about hijab multiple times for a reason. The prophet Muhammad SCW said that there is no blame upon a woman if she is raped, but he sentenced the rapist to death by stoning just like any other adulterer.

Basically, sister, you just have to realize that if you do your best to be a good Muslim, you will have nothing to worry about. If a man does rape you and is not brought to justice in this world, I think we all know when and from Whom he will receive his justice. Patience is the key.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by sigma:

great topic!!

just something to lighten up the debate

(no offence offered)

ngonge

To expand on one of Ms Dworkin’s theories, every single one of us is a potential rapist.

:eek: check her out,

i'm sorry but looking like that she would be single in alaska

And yet, she was raped three times!

Viking   

X,

We run the risk of running in circles but it may help if you tell us whether you think there are any precautions women can take...i.e. dress modestly, not to flirt with strangers, not to walk home alone very late at night, not to drink alcohol etc.

This discussion is based on the a poll done on behalf of Amnesty International in the UK. It is done in the west, by the westerners for the westerners so there is no reason to talk about rape in Islamic countries by using these same arguments. In Islamic countries, the conditions that lead to rape will most probably exclude alcohol and provocative clothes.

Castro   

^ Rape here is rape there, atheer. Either women are partly to blame or they're not. This rubbish about dress is getting on my last nerve. If you have anything to prove dress makes rape more likely, present it. Otherwise, cut the nonsense and relieve of us your rhetoric.

Fair, Viking?

Johnny B   

The psycology of rapists is funny, i´ve seen a Swedish repport where a great per cent of rapists admitted that they would walk away if the victim went, " yeah, give it to me ,you lil yummy thing, give it all to me ".

So ,it takes only 3 words to break a man´s ego. Is it in ? ?

Some here seem to forget that the topic is about the BLAME on the victim.

Castro   

^ Very interesting indeed. So what you're saying here, JB, is that if the woman is willing, a rapist would walk away? In other words, the sex part of rape is not the goal but the violence itself is? Imagine that. I'd love to learn more about this for I believe there's some truth to it. Do you know if that report is in English somewhere? And I'm not being facetious atheer. smile.gif

Poor me under my tree. It seems a woman can't let her guard down but can still be blamed for being rude or arrogant when she's approached.

I have to admit I gave that perve a litle talk time before I demonstrated my lung capacity. He had me with: musalmaan? I thought he might be Muslim. All my instincts said: weirdo but I said yes; he then told me was from the Ukraine or some such frozen place and left. He returned to give me, wait for it, satsumas, or were they tangarines? Small oranges anyway. When I refused them, he practically off-loaded them onto my lap. He returned for the third time to ask: u make dance. No, I make read I said waving my book, confusing him no doubt. He then asked for more.

Bl*ody Oliver Twist character.

Liibaan, it is not rare. A bit blunt due to his crudeness and lack of English but others have tried in more subtle ways. And no I don't live in that other frozen place called Toronto. Brrr.

Doesn't matter how u wrap it up, the one that wants it will take it given the opportunity.

Muhammad   

^ and how many 'opportunities' did you give the beast? three? that day you either let your guard down(thanks to that bloody book), or you had a 9mm with you. :D which is it?

Originally posted by Muhammad:

^ and how many 'opportunities' did you give the beast? three? that day you either let your guard down(thanks to that bloody book), or you had a 9mm with you.
:D
which is it?

2 opportunities covered the benefit of the doubt. He was irritating and clumsy but at the third attempt he became dead meat. I don't need a 9mm. If I do ever decide to hurt somebody I want to be able to feel me do damage. U feel me? Death would be too good for somebody I wish to hurt- a rapist for instance. Dhiigiisa iyo dhareerkiisa ayaan isugu darilahaa.

P.S; I never let my guard down unless it is deliberate. I was reading but alert. When the man asked if I were a Muslim, I gave him the benefit of the doubt as he may have been one. When he gave me oranges how could I tell him to p*ss off and for what reason? When he made himself clear, I tore his ear drums.

Viking   

Castro,

People seem to think it does according to the survey. "The Amnesty International poll of 1,000 people also found over 25% believe she is at least partly to blame if she has worn revealing clothing or been drunk. " I think a combination of the two makes women extremely vulnerable to rapists. Fair Castro?

NGONGE   

Originally posted by sheherazade:

P.S; I never let my guard down unless it is deliberate. I was reading but alert. When the man asked if I were a Muslim, I gave him the benefit of the doubt as he may have been one. When he gave me oranges how could I tell him to p*ss off and for what reason?
When he made himself clear, I tore his ear drums
. [/QB]

Tut! Tut! Have you not read a word of what JB wrote?

Castro   

Fair, atheer Viking. I got the impression you agreed with the poll and that's why I asked. I reject the assertion regarding the blame being shared between the rapist and the victim. And I don't care much for polls. Remember right before the invasion of Iraq, 4 out of 5 Americans believed Iraq was behind 9/11? This polling business is rubbish.