Sign in to follow this  
Khalaf

Writing a book

Khalaf   

Has anyone written a book or is thinking about writing a book? I know David mentioned it, some of u have blogs, others write poetry, Paragon/NG share their long stories. Why not put little more effort and write a book? ive been thinking i want write a book and i want it to be a bestseller. Don't laugh now, i am really brilliant when i want to be. ;) I have just read the best selling book, the kite runner and thought to myself yo ma waxaan ba millionare ka diigay? This simple book made him millions and his book now is a movie? I can do better then him yo. The sucess of Harry Potter written by a woman on welfare, Elpest written by a 17 year old kid, all it takes is imagination right? Or does race-something else, play into it? Would the world recieve a somali who wrote a book similar to kite runner in a somali setting? There have been successful african books such as Things Fall Apart which i also read great book check out. Imagination/Thought is powerful, and can bring in money money.

I have noticed controversy sells, if you were to write a book about some boring subject you might just sell few copies. But on the other hand if you were to write something very controversial that you know would piss alot of people off, than you got a good chance of becoming a best seller.

I did write A book , not a novel but a Technical book.

the idea came to me, when i was a TA in a first year computer programming class.

There are very few really good basic programming books, that are not language/compiler dependent.

It did not start out as a book, but notes i prepared for the students to help them better understand some of the concepts.

A friend of mine rounded up all the notes, it took me 3 months to re-write some of them, get enough examples in a few different programming languages, include chapter end question and problems. compile and run the source code to make sure it does work.

2 friends who had to format (font types, header size, indenting,spell check, grammar check) had a really tough time smile.gif (i was and still am to some degree a very sloppy writer)

only sold 300-400 copies I still have 1 copy with me it is barely held together.

Wish you the best in your writing career !

Laba-X   

I am thinking of writing a book Insha-Allah soon.

I am more into creatiev Non-fiction and wish to write about my travels trhoughout Somalia, if Allah permits me the time and money.

The problem is, Somalis are stingy and have a habit of borrowing books so my book won't be a Bestseller, and thereby lies my descent into the bottomless abyss of poverty...

I will a write a book Insha-Allah, and when i do, i will let you know....

Originally posted by Nin-Yaaban:

I have noticed controversy sells, if you were to write a book about some boring subject you might just sell few copies. But on the other hand if you were to write something very controversial that you know would piss alot of people off, than you got a good chance of becoming a best seller.

No Waaaaay!..Nin Yaaban is back!...Excellent!

Kool_Kat   

^Lengend, waa iiga hormartay...When I saw the avatar, I was like NOOO SHIDH...I then checked the date of the topic, since nowadayz people have been digging up 4yr old threads...

NIN YAABAN, where have you been? Yaabnaan kumaqneed intaanoo dhan? Welcome back...

KHALAF, I'll be the first one to buy your book...You won't know unless you try whether your book will be best seller or not...And if you dont succeed the first time, dust yourself off and try again (as Aaliyah said on her song)...

-Lily-   

You will never be a great writer or bestseller if you're in it for the money. It's a lot more difficult than it looks! A good book isn't written just by sitting down and hammering it out on your laptop. You have to do lots of research. Develop your own style, find your voice on paper, produce an amazing story that will take your reader out of his world for few hours, etc. etc.

I would advice you to read what is currently a bestseller and to really think about why the ordinary John would read your book on his commute or the avarage Jane read it on the beach. A Somali book would limit you unles your characters' struggles are universal.

Mind you, a lot of trash has been published.

Urban   

One of the projects I'd love to work on in the future is a comic-style book about the Siirah, I know it's been done before, but I wanna do it differently. I don't wanna do the cartoony stuff aimed at little kids, I want to grab the interest of teenagers and young adults. When I was at that age I had no interest in reading about the siirah at all because most books were hundreds of pages long and it just put me off.

I wanna do it in proper digital art style, one page of the book be in writing, and facing it would be the picture.

After I've heard the full siirah of the prophet Muhammad saw 2 years ago, I could visualize every scene the speaker was describing, and I wanted to share what I could see in my mind. The main parts that interested me were the battles, from the trenches to the one-on-one fights.. I know the opnion of drawing faces is split, and I dont wanna get into that too much.

Considering that each image takes about 12 hours, this might take me years since i wanna do at least 200 images. Ya Latiif!

It's on the list of my 'things to do for Islam', to tell people about our prophet Muhammad pbuh.

Ameen   

I actually started writing a book called, "

Behind the Veil" it was actually called, "Behind the Hijab" and it was designed to compare the events of the people before me to the situation we are currently living under.

Unlike some people, my intention was never to get it published or to make it available to the people of my time. I just wanted to write about the situation of the Muslims and the society I was a product of and hopefully the book would be useful for my children and their children inshAllah.

But than writers block reached me and I kept myself busy with useless things until Allah caused my laptop to fall and my book to disappear.

So I'm starting all over again inshAllah and this time Im gonna call my book, ...well let me just keep that part a secret ;)

But I support the idea that we should leave something behind for those who come after us. For some, that thing would be a book and for others, maybe a history changing event. Unfortunately though, for many of us, we will live and die without improving the state of our existance or adding to the great accomplishments of history and Allah knows best.

My god how strange is this. I was thinking that exact same thing all day today. I’m stuck in a Marian Keyes novel, my 3rd by her (ironically this book’s characters are aspiring authors) and couldn’t shake the feeling of wanting to write myself. I think the ability to tell a story with such conviction that one’s imagination takes flight and doesn’t even need any imagery is an amazing talent. Funny enough here I am reading this post lol. But I think my ambition to be a writer will be short lived, just as that of wanting to become a professional ice hockey player after every Mighty Duck’s movie, or the urge to find and beg an elderly Okinawan to be my Mr Miyagi and teach me some HAEEYAA moves when I first watched Karate Kid. My friends have always told me I have a short attention span and bore very easily, could they be right? I doubt I would be any good though, plus compared to some of the talents I’ve seen in SOL how could I even consider to compete.

Fabregas   

Am thinking of producing a Magazine collecting the thoughts of Somaliaonline forum members. Here are my proposed sections.

Politics and Currents Events

Behind the mind of a Cyber Mujahid: Exclusive interview with Allaubahane and Taliban from a cyber insurgent stronghold!

The Art of neutrality: Highly acclaimed thriller co authored by Baashi and Ngonge!

Send them to Gitmo: Cyber counter terrorism exper Naxar Nugaleed on how to deal with cyber dowladiids, anarchists and terrorists!

The 27 the volume on the pending recognition of Somaliland: Oodweyne!

Tourism Section

The golden age of Pax Puntlandica under the charismatic young colonel Abdullahi Yusuf! Co authored by Emperor and General Duke

To live and Die in Kismayo: Horn Afrique

To live and Die in L.A: Chief

Mrs D&D: Travellers guide to Saudi Arabia!

Music Section

New releases from Rudy boy: When I spray, you say Yeey & West side till the Habashis fry

Culture and media section

The destruction of Somalinimo by Habashis, Surwaalgaabs and Arabs: Co authored by M.M.I and ME!

It's the Arabs ******! Peacenow

Exclusive behind the scenes investigation into the underworld of the S.N.M gang: Nayrus!

Religion section

Islamiqa: Question and answer sessions with Nur and Khalaf

Be Free: Johnny B

Response to Johnny B: Kashafa, " wara surka luga qaban lee".

Khayr: "Hijab Abuse, just say No"

Xiinfaaniin: Exporting the Islamic state from Asmara!

Jokes section

Jacalybro: Lolllllllllllll, Somaliland is democratic,lolllllllll

Sports Section

Northerner: how to sing " we'll never walk alone"

in Arabic!