Sign in to follow this  
Khalaf

Writing a book

-Lily-   

Well GG, the poster said he wanted to make money out of writing, so he was interested in bestsellers, which tend to be simple stories, e.g. The Da Vinci Code.

Good advice there Shumey.

Originally posted by Cara:

Oh yes it was, for the Starbucks crowd.

the book was published before starbucks showed any interest in selling it in its coffee shops.

Originally posted by Cara:

And do you really think the ex-child soldier wrote it without at least one ghostwriter to make it more yuppie-licious?

ah the cynism!!! do not try to poison my pure, young, red heart with the darkness of cynism, you dark evil thing!

now on a more serious note, almost all authors will have to compromise before they get published, even the most famous and most popular ones will have to edit their text to suit their publishing company's taste/needs/whatever.

but i think its insulting to suggest beah used a ghostwriter just because a fraction of his books have been sold in starbuck's coffeeshops.

anyway, enough of this nonesense. i think your (toi et lily) advice for the money-hungry, souless, immoral and shallow monsters like myself is in fact quite good.

Chimera   

I wonder whether Khalaf's disappearance means he has become a best-selling millionaire author. :D

5 years have passed, how many millions of words did we type?

I would have liked to have given you pos rep Chimera 'cuz you're right, but I can't.

I did get a meeting with a publishing house in Jan, if that helps. It went horribly - if anyone cares to know. I gave a terrible pitch in which I tried to sound very smart and prepared. It was cringeworthy. They gave me two copies of their best-selling books by the end of the meeting, and I hid my face behind the books until I was safely outside. They did ask me to send a chapter in though. I'm still recovering.

Aaliyyah   

Chimera;856244 wrote:
I wonder whether Khalaf's disappearance means he has become a best-selling millionaire author.
:D

5 years have passed, how many millions of words did we type?

how many millions of words did we type? that's a good question walee

5 years is enough time to realize one's dreams. Hopefully he materialized his dream.

Chimera   

5;856273 wrote:
I would have liked to have given you pos rep Chimera 'cuz you're right, but I can't.

Lol you need to spread the love to another poster first, I still have your old rep.

I did get a meeting with a publishing house in Jan, if that helps. It went horribly - if anyone cares to know. I gave a terrible pitch in which I tried to sound very smart and prepared. It was cringeworthy. They gave me two copies of their best-selling books by the end of the meeting, and I hid my face behind the books until I was safely outside. They did ask me to send a chapter in though. I'm still recovering.

Awww, that's sad Hug-Emoticon-1-.gif, but I'm SUPER jealous, at least you got to the finished package stage, I'm struggling with my 5th draft because I'm a deluded perfectionist. Would you mind sharing a short synopsis? The fact that you got an interview, messed up and still was asked to send in a chapter means they're INTERESTED.

You have more than a foot in the door, i'd say you almost have yourself a contract. I do hope you send them that chapter, you would get a reply from most publishers between 6-9 months. Wait a minute, these guys don't do unsolicited manuscripts, so you must have an agent then?

Well done.

5;856273 wrote:

I am just curious, what kinda book did you write? Was it's in Somali/Englisch? Could you post post/share with us parts of it.

Ibtisam   

I started writing a book... well being in Somaliland does strange things which force you start creating another world for the sake of sanity. I recent realized I have a lot to say, but now I have an issue- I want to be publish without being pulled into the rat races of book launches, book signing and all the other promotional madness. Is it still possible to be an autonomous and sell a few copies. :hmmmm it will probably stay in my computer till I upgrade and forget about.

Good luck to the serious writers.

Ibtisam   

Alpha dont doubt my ability my brother! Have some faith.

It may take me some time, but I shall do it, and when I do, I will come and find you and I will be expecting you to congratulate me. :)

Mind you, I think you have a very good and vivid imagination- you could probably write many fictional stories with a Somali twist.

Chimera   

*Ibtisam;856341 wrote:
I started writing a book... well being in Somaliland does strange things which force you start creating another world for the sake of sanity. I recent realized I have a lot to say, but now I have an issue- I want to be publish without being pulled into the rat races of book launches, book signing and all the other promotional madness. Is it still possible to be an autonomous and sell a few copies. :hmmmm it will probably stay in my computer till I upgrade and forget about.

Good luck to the serious writers.

You should publish it on Amazon-Kindle, with a good cover you could be selling a couple hundred every month.

Good luck Ibti!

Chimera, I have to confess that I'm not entirely a first-timer, but kind of. The publishing house had already published a short story of mine. So there were existing relations. However, I haven't actually written the book yet. I was kind of thinking I could go in, pitch them my super-awesome-mega-bucks idea and leave the conference room with a million euro publishing contract in my pocket; throw a bif fat Somali xaflad in my honor and flee to Cuba the next day with the money. Alas, the plan didn't quite come together the way I had envisioned…

Anyway, I can share a very short synopsis with those who are interested. Shoot me a private message.

Chimera, if you need someone to read your manuscript and give you pro feedback, I'd be happy to do so. I've worked as a reader. I know it's not very chic, but a girl's gotta learn and no better way of learning what works and what doesn't than reading both aspiring and working writers' text.

Chimera;856517 wrote:
You should publish it on Amazon-Kindle, with a good cover you could be selling a couple hundred every month.

Good luck Ibti!

You beat me to it! I was just going to reply to her that she should consider self-publishing.

Aaliyyah;856277 wrote:
5, don't give up. Nothing in life comes easy. With determination you will get there ilaahay haduu idmo. Best of luck.

Thanks sweetzy. You too. You wanna write, you type away at the typewriter!

(Lets just pretend that all writers still write on a typewriter, it's more romantic that way)