Sign in to follow this  
Khalaf

Writing a book

I did start to write 2 books, one in English and another one in Somali. I never finished them and i don't think i'll finish for the coming 2 years.

I'm thinking of starting a 3rd one now .... i'm sick of the other two :D

One of them is 89 pages so far.

Skipper   

I know David mentioned it, some of u have blogs, others write poetry.

Khalaf who is this David fella you mentioned there? Writing a book is easier said than done. If every body could write a book then everyone would have stayed home and just write novels. Khalaf with all due respect i dont think writing a blogg is the same as writing a book. In short they couldnt be more different sxb. Do any of you have any favourite autors? I read anything written by Ken follet, John grisham, amoung others.

Khalaf   

^^^yo skip my man, how can u not know David, the brotha that feeds us pirated movies on SOL? :D ..... Dhulqarnayn -alSumaale, i call em David an old nick. I know what u mean bro, its easier said then done. But its all about having a vision. I am actually suprised, its a good suprise, i didn't think somali people read books lol. Same w/ blacks, I used to work at barnes and noble for a few mths, and walaa u never c a black person, always white ppl usually women that are buying tons of books. Reading is fundamental. (remember grade school lol). Bro i never heard of Ken follet, John Grisham. I don't have favorite authors per se, i read anything from on Islam, to stock market/economic books, to Stephan King books, to John Stienbeck (one of my fav authors), to Ayaan Daraan :D . Diversity ya dig. I thought it would be great idea to write a book on the civil war... a fiction story based on true events, ie hotal rawanda. I don't believe that has been done. There are many ideas honestly, many things to write about. screenwriting is what i played w/ in HS, always enjoyed that, but left it. IA anything is possible.

Thanks everyone for the comments and your great ideas.

lol@ Sophis, come on now, walaaleey its not about competition but writing is an art, its yours personally and comes from the heart ya dig.

Skipper   

Khalaf adeer i am not suprised that you are suprised about me having favourite autors. They say if you want to hide something from african (or black, since all are from africa) then put it in a book. But having said that i belong to a selected band of africans who actually read books, i belive you are too. I also gather that you read about economics and stock market, what an opportunity to annonce am alsoa huge fan of economics books. Have you read rich dad poor dad(by Robert kiyosaki) if so tell me what you think about it and the changes you made since reading it?

Ismahaan   

In early 2007 I wrote a book, I didn’t finish the book yet as I am very busy to my study but It is coming out soon and will be published as soon as it becomes available insha allah.

NGONGE   

I wanted to write a book about a baby turtle that fell in a ditch. I have a general idea of how it fell in the ditch, the efforts of the various animals to help it out of the ditch and the many stories they all wisely told him. I can already picture its mother looking for it but, being a turtle, it is taking her longer than usual to find its baby.

At first, this was a short bedtime story but the more times I told it the more varied and complicated it became. The baby turtle has developed a personality now. He's got plenty of time to sit in that ditch and reflect on life. He looks up and sees mother zebras walking past with their daughter zebras. Mother monkeys with baby monkeys. Lionesses with their cubs and Wildebeests with their fawns! He yearns for his mother and family of turtles. He wonders if he's destined to spend the rest of his life in that ditch. He wants to break free.

Meanwhile, his mother crawls along asking other animals if they have seen her baby. She describes him as small, round and looking like a stone!

There is a happy ending somewhere and a moral to this story about how even a baby turtle, with his indefatigability, determination and strength of will can raise himself from a dark ditch. I may bung in something about the community (of animals) helping out and how it sometimes takes a whole village (of animals) to raise a turtle.

The book is likely going to fit into one page but I'm hoping people will be distracted by the many illustrations and pictures to notice how short it is.

Pardon? What was that again? You really think writing a book is child's play? Don't you go falling into such a ditch of a mistake, my friend. :D

Fabregas   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

I wanted to write a book about a baby turtle that fell in a ditch. I have a general idea of how it fell in the ditch, the efforts of the various animals to help it out of the ditch and the many stories they all wisely told him. I can already picture its mother looking for it but, being a turtle, it is taking her longer than usual to find its baby.

At first, this was a short bedtime story but the more times I told it the more varied and complicated it became. The baby turtle has developed a personality now. He's got plenty of time to sit in that ditch and reflect on life. He looks up and sees mother zebras walking past with their daughter zebras. Mother monkeys with baby monkeys. Lionesses with their cubs and Wildebeests with their fawns! He yearns for his mother and family of turtles. He wonders if he's destined to spend the rest of his life in that ditch. He wants to break free.

Meanwhile, his mother crawls along asking other animals if they have seen her baby. She describes him as small, round and looking like a stone!

There is a happy ending somewhere and a moral to this story about how even a baby turtle, with his indefatigability, determination and strength of will can raise himself from a dark ditch. I may bung in something about the community (of animals) helping out and how it sometimes takes a whole village (of animals) to raise a turtle.

The book is likely going to fit into one page but I'm hoping people will be distracted by the many illustrations and pictures to notice how short it is.

Pardon? What was that again? You really think writing a book is child's play? Don't you go falling into such a ditch of a mistake, my friend.
:D

I once had a gentleman who wrote traditional Somali animal stories in english stay over my house and I believe some Westerners brought them, but I might be mistaken. Anway this particular gentleman would sit at the computer and pull out his majin qaad and then the gates of inspiration would open wide for him.....But am not encouraging ne1 to use this as an inspiration :D

Originally posted by Kool_Kat:

^Lengend, waa iiga hormartay...When I saw the avatar, I was like NOOO SHIDH...I then checked the date of the topic, since nowadayz people have been digging up 4yr old threads...

NIN YAABAN, where have you been? Yaabnaan kumaqneed intaanoo dhan? Welcome back...

KHALAF, I'll be the first one to buy your book...You won't know unless you try whether your book will be best seller or not...And if you dont succeed the first time, dust yourself off and try again (as Aaliyah said on her song)...

sup KK, i was not expecting sol to be still up after all this time. and i forget my password, because it has been a while.

Jamster   

Writing for monetary reasons is the wrong route to take—you could make money in less intricate endeavours. Writing requires a passion together with tenacity and the ability to differentiate a good story from a brilliant one; skill most people lack not to mention some mediocre writers.

Anyhow, Good luck to you all.

Ismahaan   

Originally posted by Skipper:

Ismahan do send a signed copy to me wil ya. I will send a cheque via dahabshil for you.

yeap i will lacag la,aan kugu soo diraa. Just let me know ur address will you ;)