Sign in to follow this  

Quitting Music

Mist   

I've not listen to music for almost a year now, it was a decision that was mad for me after I lost my ipod and my laptop crashed and deleted all my music files.

Instead of starting my collection I followed a friend's advice and wanted to test the whole 'its haram and bad for your iman'.

For me it made no difference to my iman and outlook in life, no music living is cheaper but not holier.

So far no song/artist has tempted me to go back to music.

Good luck, its easier then you think.

Originally posted by Mist:

I've not listen to music for almost a year now, it was a decision that was mad for me after I lost my ipod and my laptop crashed and deleted all my music files.

Instead of starting my collection I followed a friend's advice and wanted to test the whole 'its haram and bad for your iman'.

For me it made no difference to my iman and outlook in life, no music living is cheaper but not holier.

So far no song/artist has tempted me to go back to music.

Good luck, its easier then you think.

Simply refraining from listening to music will not necessarily increase someones iman or make them more "holy". It's the same thing with alcohol; many non muslims don't drink like the muslims do not, but it doesn't make them more "holy" or increase their iman. The reason you felt no increase in Iman could be because of two reasons;

1. Poor intention in the first instance. Allah knows best, but leaving something which is prohibited( or disliked according to the weaker opinion) because your cds get lost or because you want to test a theory of your friend, doesn't seem like a sincere intention. All actions are rewarded by their intentions. So if your giving up something was not solely for the sake of Allah, and pleasing him, and returning him,then it is unlikely you will taste the sweetness of iman.

2. Even if your intention was correct and you gave something up purely for the sake of ALlah, you may still find that your iman has not changed significantly or that it makes no real difference to your outlook in life. The reason for this could be that you may be commiting other sins, which will cancel out the previous good deed. This is like the one who refrains from music; yet, he misses the prayer, backbites and he commits many sins knowingly or unknowingly. I gave up listening to music 4 years ago and I can tell you I have never experienced a rush in iman similar to the one I had then.

However, now I can confess my iman is low even though I still try my best to avoid music. Again, the reason for this is not because leaving the prohibitions of Islam has no effect on the iman, rather it is because of my commiting other sins and being negligent/lazy of other duties.

Fabregas

Napoleon   

Music is nutrition for the soul, but like everything, listen to it in moderation.

I'm listening to some journey right now.

Just a small town girl, living in a lonely world

Took the midnight train going anywhere

Just a city boy, born and raised in south Detroit

I seen her in a smokey room, a smell of wine and cheap perfume

For a smile they can share the night

It goes on and on and on and on

Strangers, waiting... walkin' down the boulevard

Their shadows searching in the night

Street lights... people

Living just to find emotion

Hiding somewhere in the night

Working hard to get my fill

everybody wants a thrill

Betting anything to roll the dice just one more time

Some will win, some will lose

Some are born to sing the blues

oh the movie never ends

Strangers, waiting... walking down the boulevard

Street lights... people

Don't stop... believin'

hold on to that feeling

Street lights... people

Don't stop... believin'

hold On to that feeling

Street lights... people

Don't stop... believin'

hold on to that feeling

Street lights... people

dont stop

May Allah Ta'aal give you and all of us the courage to stop it. We are obvious all guilty of listening to music, and often time make excuses for listening to it.

It is scary how many of the things rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam warned against about are becoming a norm of our daily lives.

`There will be people of my Ummah who will seek to make lawful; fornication, wine-drinking and the use of ma`aazif ( musical instruments ).`

hodman   

5 u said u only listen coz others do so u need to not listen to them n ur good. As for the ajar, dat will come when u substitute ur music time for something productive IA

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

I like Mali music,

Che do u listen to Tinariwen? I simply adore them.

-Lily-   

5, You can easily go through long periods without music…

I suggest you read more, I always have a good book in my bag, plus all those people who listen to their Ipods on the tube, they’ll probably go deaf as they must put it on the highest notch to hear it above the noise of the tube. I read somewhere that over 60% of deaf people were not born deaf.

I find most classical music doesn’t invade like songs with words in them, it’s peaceful.

Max, anything that changes your state of mind single handily I would be careful about…hmmmm.

RedSea   

I dont want to be a buzz kill or anything but you can give the Qur'an a chance. Firstly, slowly start deleting some of the tracks from your phone and ipod and replace them with Quranic ones. Then I gues you can just make up your own mind and go from there.

Good luck with it.

I love music and its kinda hard for many muslim ppl like me to kick the habbit for good. I went down this road many times before but to no avail and find myself downloading music again. There were at times I started listening Islamic nasheeds or music as they can be very powerful and put you through spiritual journeys. but the downfall is they are not widely available online so when you listen them all and bored with them then you start another collection. Me going over from islamically non-halal ;) music to rather halal islamic nasheeds had never been hard and they are quite good as anyone else and I still have these collections together with some other you know what I mean....

Here are some of best renowned islamic artists today. offering something for everyone, provided you have soul

• 1- Can't Take It With U by
    :: VERY VERY POWERFUL

• You plan to be richer,you stash to be bigger.
      But man get the picture, you can’t take it with ya.
      Your cell phones, head phones, flat screens, ring tones,
      Big homes, gemstones, power from big loans, collections of new shoes,
      Connections of Bluetooth, vacations where you cruise the young ones go OOH!
      You go shop for robots or gold watch or what not.
      Your CDs of hip hop, your lap tops. Just STOP! & let go.
      When you die say bye-bye. What is best is inside.
      Fill the scale up with deeds so you best when you part,
      Put the wealth in your hand; take it out of your heart.
      Give thanks for the wealth that your Lord will bestow.
      But no! That you can’t take it with you when you go.
[*]2- Ummati Answer Me by

• Come listen to her story with me,

in a world of opportunity.

A little girl has lots to say,

but everyone is so far away.

Come listen to her story with me.

Her tiny life and tiny hands shake,

ashamed of her unknown mistake.

A child’s hopes and tears in vain,

she believes she is to blame.

Listen to her story with me

[*]3- Talal Al Badru Alayna by Native Deen

• His eyes slowly rising

Sunrise warms the horizon

Sand dunes form in the distance

He's up and out in an instant

The crowd, they all were waiting

Watching and anticipating

A man appears from afar

Could it be the one sent by Allah

He shouts, "Here comes the prophet!"

His face is a light that drives out the darkness

Words are alive -- his message is living

Joy everywhere, our voices are singing

[*]4- Try Not To Cry by

• You, you’re not aware

That we’re aware

Of your despair

Don’t show your tears

To your oppressor

Don’t show your tears

...................... FREE PALESTINE!

Buuxo   

I did it once,went cold turkey,lasted a year. Then I was introduced to somali music and slowly filled my collection.Now im trying to quit that too,IA.It's getting in the way of memorizing the Quran.

Instead of filling that gap with Quran or islamic lectures, I stupidly started my collection again, and now I have close to 50GB of pretty much useless shït from almost every genre. The fact that you can get these albums for 'free' doesn't help either, I always forget that it's also a form of stealing.

Where do you get music for free, what sites? I lost my ipod and comtemplating buying a new one but dreading buying a lot of songs from itunes :D:D:D

To the poster, sorry. Stay strong. Maybe you should start listening to motivational speaches. I listen to music on my way to and from work. I'm looking into buying some tafsiir. It's when I'm working out that I feel bored and need music.

posted 12-13-2009 20:38

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Music is nutrition for the soul, but like everything, listen to it in moderation.

I'm listening to some journey right now.

Just a small town girl, living in a lonely world

Just a city boy, born and raised in south Detroit

I seen her in a smokey room, a smell of wine and cheap perfume

For a smile they can share the night

Strangers, waiting... walkin' down the boulevard

Street lights... people

Working hard to get my fill

everybody wants a thrill

Betting anything to roll the dice just one more time

Some will win, some will lose

Some are born to sing the blues

oh the movie never ends

Strangers, waiting... walking down the boulevard

Street lights... people

Don't stop... believin'

hold on to that feeling

Street lights... people

Don't stop... believin'

hold On to that feeling

Street lights... people

Don't stop... believin'

hold on to that feeling

Street lights... people

dont stop

Oh love this song. Makes me want to climb mountains or go skiing on the Alpas or something.

Kamaavi   

Originally posted by *Buuxo*:

I did it once,went cold turkey,lasted a year. Then I was introduced to somali music and slowly filled my collection.Now im trying to quit that too,IA.It's getting in the way of memorizing the Quran.

That's great step. Want to over come too but moi need to take some time to think, to figure out,

habo keep us updated smile.gif

#5 good for you, but if you would have quit it for the sake of Allah it would have been much better.

I quit listening to music at the age of 15 when I changed my life and started getting closer to Allah. It was hard at the begining since everyone in that age group was into music and i was the strange one. I have noticed I feel more calm when I listen to the Quran. Music is just shaytan's words, thats how i see.

Aaliyyah   

^^mashallah pray for us sis.

I wanna stop it for religious purposes. n mostly i listen to arabic/somali music. But, that doesnt justify it. Music is haraam period.Inshallah I hope that Allah swt gives us the strength to do it.

salaam