Sign in to follow this  

Quitting Music

I've quite recently discovered that I don't like music. I listen to it because of peer pressure. "Hey have you heard that new song by whatshisname? It's great, you'll love it, I'll send you a link/via bluetooth." I have 2 knowledgable, hard-core music lover friends, who the Times music critic would probably proclaim to have exquisite and diverse taste in music.

I really just_don't_like_music. I listen to any song a few times and very, very quickly grow tired of it. If it weren't for friends and various relatives, I'd probably not listen to music at all.

I kind of wish there was a more spiritually driven reason for this decision, you know, perhaps I would've gotten some much needed ajr! In any case, are there other closet music haters, or ones who have given it up for Islamic reasons?

Welcome me in your small exclusive club.

"Music determines my mood and emotions"

Surely that's a good reason to quit, no?

I regularly have periods of time when I don't listen to any music at all. They can last anywhere from 1 month to 4 months. So clearly, it's not particularly unrealistic for me.

I have 20 songs on my phone and a little over 100 on my iPod. I've personally downloaded about 30 of the songs on my iPod. Most of the ones I've downloaded are (excluding the occasional Barbie girl and Miley Cyrus icon_razz.gif )piano concertos and pretty useless to listen to in the tube, as the loud tracks make it impossible to hear anything.

Naden   

Music haters?

You're listening to the wrong kind of music. Nina Simone or Billy Preston are always beautiful to hear. Try some classics, instrumentals or old school.

Kool_Kat   

I kinda understand where Ms. Just call me 5 is coming from; they just don't make music like they used to in the good ol' dayz...Nothing much is worth listening to these days...But give up on listening to music? Xasha!

Just give me Sunday at home and Teddy Pendergrass, Smokey Robinson, Sam Cooke, Al Green, oh hell even throw in a little of Marvin Sease ( :D )...I am already smilin' from within... smile.gif

^Ayeeyo, I know now how you met Awoowe :D

Laakin Coltrane see ulaade icon_razz.gif

Naden...Nothing beats Nina, I like protest songs, and even her gospel ones :D

2+2....Try Miles Davis, Willie, Qaraami Somali songs,or alternative beats, I like Mali music,

Everybody out.

I didn't ask for recommendations. I want this thread to act as a support group for my quest to live a musicless life.

Anyway, islamically speaking it'd be good for me to give up music. It'd be better for my ears, and also perhaps internally too. A lot of the music today is filled with subliminal messages, and music does affects the subconcious mind.

Kool Kat, it's been a long, long time coming but I know a change gonna come. Oh yes I will quit music. With the help of God.

Naden, MJB doing acting? Consider the film already critically panned and sinking into obscurity.

Che, no thanks.

I'd like to hear from people who feel the same as me. There has to be at least one person here on SOL who has made a conscious desicion not to listen to music.

Rayyan   

Music is my life, keep on dancing - lol

It doesn’t help, it’s just confusion, it weakens the heart, and it’s a hindrance of DikarAllah. and its the Post carrying fornication and evil deeds ,as the sickness is the post carrying the death, that is Ibn Qayyim's book(Jawabal Kafi Laman sa'al, Su'aal al Shaafi-something of similar the title of the book)

Besides it can dwindle your income and make a hole in your pocket, unless you're a freeloader in internet free downloads.

I say welcome to the party Five, of music less life, in fact somebody will disagree, but you don’t need much quc-qac iyo qalam. Almost noisy and polluted world, there will be serenity and tranquillity, stillness of mind and quietness that will fill the void.

Walaalo, poster-adaay, assuming you're a lady, you're lucky and do consider yourself to be lucky. These souls here who're recommending the music to you, even though you've clearly said you've lost the taste and don't wanna hear the music corrupted souls. Surprise, eh? Again, you're lucky. As is said, music corrupts the soul and diverts you away from the Dikr of Allah, so the fact that you've given up and lost taste in it, is a good sign for your soul.

May I suggest that you fill the gap with Quran and anything that reminds you of your Creator, i.e., islamic talks (muxaadarooyinka)etc.

May Allah streighten us to the true path.

Urban   

lol@recommendations in this thread.

I wanted to start a similar thread for some time, but you beat me to it 5, high five!

I think I'm an emotional person in general (no, not sissy), and music sometimes has too much power over my emotions and mood. I have tried to quit music a few times already, a year ago I did just that when I deleted my collection of 30GB+ with one click. Within a few days I felt weak and unenergetic.

Instead of filling that gap with Quran or islamic lectures, I stupidly started my collection again, and now I have close to 50GB of pretty much useless shït from almost every genre. The fact that you can get these albums for 'free' doesn't help either, I always forget that it's also a form of stealing.

I will quit again today inshallah, I've already deleted 15GB off my laptop, the rest is in the desktop, gonna sort that bad boy out later.

Anyways, I'm with you on this 5, and will write about how I get on throughout this coming week.

the oddest things are to be found here in SOL, how can you hate music? along with the other recommendations, i suggest some boss quit comfort headphones. As for the nina Simone fans i have to say i like only one of her songs: see or sea line woman, any recommendations of her songs?