Sign in to follow this  
AalTo

Among Somali singers ...who is the most popular one..and who do u like?

Khalaf   

^^^loool My BROTHER! Fist in da air. Allahu Akbar :D hijack dis thread no jokes.

brother I have not memorized the entire Quran yet...but it is my main goal inshallah. walaahi my 11 year cousin memorized the entire quran :mad: ,....embrassing me walaa. u memorized yet Red?

my favorite reciter is Abdul Baset....walaahi i cry sometimes :D when i hear the Quran. Allahu AKbar there is nothing as beautiful as the Quran.

sorry ppl. :D

RedSea   

^lol.Allahu Akbar indeed.

My Quran is really making a good progress as we speak,but sadly I haven't memorized it in full yet,I am almost there and can gaurantee you that I will be leading the Masjids' near next Ramadan prayers Insha Allah...it was my new years resolution.

aaah Abdul Basat,true artist when it comes to the recitation of the Quran.All of them are equal in greatness,but each individual prefers one,so I have to say Maxamud Khaliil AL-Xusari,still tops in my favorite list,but definately Abdul Basat is in that list,may Allah have mercy on them all.

thanks,Allahu Akbar :D

Aaliyyah   

I dont know how u guys do it, alhmadu lilaah i pray and everything. bt i cant get myself to listen to quran ..whenever i am listening to it i get bored easily. i hope u guys can give me tips.

wa slaaam

Rahima   

Sulfa cursed anybody who listens to his music when he became a wadaad, maaha?

Yep!

As for the Qur’an reciters you can’t go past Sudais and Cabdulwaduud Xaniif.

There's nothing better than a good and sound voice of quraan recitation! Personally my favourite reciters include:

Sheikh Sacuud bin Ibrahiim Ash-shuraym, Muxammed Al-Muxisni, Muxammed Jibriil, Muxammed Sidiiq Al-Minshaawi, Abdulcasiis nada, Cabdallah Matrood, Cali Sudaysi (brother of Cabdurxmaan, Imaam of masjidul-xaram, makkah), Cali Cabduruxmaan Al-Xudayfi, Cali Jaabir, Khaalid al-Qaxtaani, Sheikh Cabdul-baari ath-thubayti khateeb of the prophets masjid in madinah, abdulwaduud maqbuul xaniif (who would have thought he's pakistani, graduate from islamic university in Makkah), Abubakr Ash-shaatri, Sheikh Ciisa Al-Cajimi, Sheikh Maxmuud khaliil Al-xusaari (for learning), Sheikh Cabdullaah basfar (for learning), Sheikh Cabdurxmaan As-Sudaisi and last but not least Sheikh Cabdirashiid Cali Suufi!

I don't get Cabdul-Baasit!

Khalaf   

Great list yaa Sakhar....sxb i think i meant Al-Minshaawi this reciter on here: recit tho abdul basit all of them are still takbir!

u can find all of the reciters here: audio

sudais is one of my favorites and this brother Allahu Akbar!:

Aliyah bored? :eek: hearing the quran recited is most beautiful and gives me the happiest feeling Allahu Akbar! I dont know walaashiis not to be moved by the quran recital is not good. inshallah listen dem to it on

....um sure u will be moved...if not then Allah Help u! Amiin. smile.gif

Red my brother noble goals! Dont let shaydan get in our way by memorizing the ayats of Allah Most Great!

me   

Originally posted by Khalaf:

^^^loool My BROTHER! Fist in da air. Allahu Akbar
:D
hijack dis thread no jokes.

:D

Hijacking the thread huh? lets keep it with singers people, maybe start a new thread for reciters.

Khalaf   

^^^lol somalinimo brother! think about it like dis sxb....search engine on google type in somali singers...this post comes up.....and among these singers....there is the light of Allah Most High-the Holy Quran recition and maybe maybe some will listen to it....try it sxb its mashallah more beautiful then the most beautiful of a females sweet voice. :D

keep on with the somali singers tho.

Originally posted by me:

Dear surwaalgaabs,

Singers not reciters!

:D:D:D

Some people completely forgot or deliberately hijacked the point of this thread. Couldn't they resist responding back if they don't listen heeso, xoog miyaa. Ninba tiisa, nabiyoo ummadaa ayaa la dhahay.

You don't listen heeso, fine; dadka haga dhigana dad aan Quraan dhageysan. Quraan waala dhageystaa, heesana waala dhageystaa, ee marka don't try to hijack the thread, baliis.

OLOL   

Magool

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Magool (c. May 2, 1948 - March 19, 2004) was a Somali singer and musician. She was a beloved singer in Somalia.

Magool was born as Halima Khaliif Omar in the city of Beledweyne, the capital of Hiiraan state. She had four siblings. In 1959, while living at the house of a cousin of hers named Mohamed Hashi, she joined a small Mogadishu-based band. Within that year, she moved to Hargeysa where she joined the city's version of the Mogadishu-based Waaberi. From there she was nick-named "Magool", which means flower, by songwriter Yusuf Haji Adan.

In the mid-1960s, Magool came back to Mogadishu. She married a young general named Mohamed Nur Galaal. The marriage did not last but her popularity continued to rise. In the 1970s, she sang famous patriotic songs while Somalia was at war with Ethiopia.

In the late 1970s, she sang love songs but also sang Islamic songs that did not agree with the government. A self-imposed exile followed that lasted until 1987. Her concert of that year, titled "Mogadishu and Magool", is to date the most successful concert in Somali history. More than 15 thousand people turned out in the city's stadium.

Her unique performances, talents of memorizing entire albums in hours and her deep, skipping voice made it possible for her to be called Hoyadii Fanka, or "Mother of Artistry."

In the early 1990s, she sided with Mohamed Farah Aideed, singing songs against the ****** [word used against the regime.] For this, the artist incured criticism. Later, she explains she was not siding with any tribe in particular but that she was supporting a Revolution. Regardless, Magool continued to be popular.

On March 19, 2004, she died in a hospital in Amsterdam where she had been sick for a while. She did not leave any children.

OLOL   

November 29, 2004 - 23:48

In Loving Memory of “Magool”

“A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song”

We all lost someone especial when the Queen left us earlier this year. But her memories would never leave us. Some of us are able to impersonate singers but Magool was the real thing. She inspired a lot of today’s talents with her courage of expressing love through music and literature when such thing was still taboo in Somalia, especially for a woman. What is it that stands out in our memories of the queen? I, for one, it is the 27th of June 1977 the day Djibouti got its independence. Living in Mogadishu at the time as a teenager and listening the historic event on radio Mogadishu as Halimo sings with her impressively touching and sensational voice a never before heard and newly composed Republic of Djibouti National Anthem. Rumor has it that it was created on the spot. Huuh, What a talent?

Those who new her well says, from a very young age her remarkable singing voice was apparent. It was both front and back loaded with catchy vibrations, especially her long throat singing sound-like tunes. It contains a variety of moods, tempos and sounds - the product of a legend reaching for the brass ring. Halimo has always been my favorite and still is perhaps for many. I never thought she came up short. The energy, the colorful expressions, the wink aimed at the silly boys, the way she articulates lyrics, every song without competition was a gift.

She sang in a style that hadn't been heard before, with a soul touch for the bass note and a tap dance for the anticipated Uud-Guitar melody, and at a time when singers started copying her gifted talent "Under The Double clutch voice" with all the modern music instruments up behind them, this woman hunched down over the old band and made a singing line that was beautiful and treasured. They could not touch it. She made mediocre musicians play excellent piece of music. She could sing like a teenager in her first love or a grownup woman with a broken heart. She could articulate life of violent emotions, vivid love life, celebration of pleasure or acute capacity for sadness, all, in a lyrics filled with changing tunes and zealous expressions. There is something about Magool’s relaxing tunes that could always take your breath away."

A poem begins with a lump in the throat; a homesickness or a lovesickness. It is a reaching out toward expression; an effort to find fulfillment. A complete poem is one where an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words. --Robert Frost

Although the relative acclaim didn't translate for her to big financial successes, at least by the world standards, and she never enjoyed the fruits of her efforts, this woman was still magnificent. She was an artist and there was no slightest pretense in her. She sang traditional songs, and even composed a most romantic tribute to a lover. It is said that “Music is the purest form of art... therefore true poets, they who are seers, seek to express the universe in terms of music... The singer has everything within him or her. The notes come out from his or her very life. They are not materials gathered from outside.

May the angels bear her up, and may eternal light shine upon her, and may she run into a lot of her old friends, whom gave us as much such as hers Omar Dhulleh, Ahmed and Mohamed Moge and the rest who all gave us everything they had for FREE. The question is, when the living legends, the likes of Hibo, Hassan, Khadra, Maandeeq,Sahra, Igal, Zainab Cigeh, Fadumo Qasin are gone, are we in the mercy of these electronic singers? No more passion? Play screw up Reruns after reruns? No more personality? I have seen people singing sad lyrics with the accompanying harmonic and still displaying smiling face. Haven’t they ever learned from Zeinab Cigeh? Discussing this subject with a friend of mine in London two weeks after Magool passed away in March this year, and he mentioned an event where one of these modern electronic singers even played “Sida Rucubka Naasahan Hadba Soo Ruxaayoo” the only problem is he said the singer was a man!! Respect for lyrics? Forget it. One thing these electronic singers can count on though, at least these people we call our kids in Diaspora don’t even give a dam.

Let us try to celebrate the lives of our artists like Huryo (mainly known for his comic roles) but was a master composer and orchestrated most of the melodies of the top 50 Somali songs. They never got rich or even got the respect they earned. If Huryo was an American, he would be Richard Pryor and Quincy Jones combined. Let us carry with us forever the sprit and the love they had for their work, especially the one and the only, the queen, Halima Khalif “Magool”.

May your shadow pass in pirouettes - of such amazing grace,

That the tears of those who mourn you – Disappear without a trace

In a smoke that shapes their sorrow – to the fading of your feet

In a ring around the rainbow – where the circle is complete."

And my dearest queen of all queens, “MAY THE SUN SHINE WARM UPON YOUR FACE IN THE HEAVENS”. Thank you and good night.

Abdirahman Waberi

Washington, DC

Rahima   

Cajiib walaahi.

Enjoining the good has now become a problem. None of us are perfect, but if reminded by a fellow Muslim with regards to the good, even if you do not heed it at the very least do not protest or get defensive like you are been judged.

Don’t get your knickers in a knot over a simple reminder that at the end of the day we should be listening to the Quran instead of Music. Even for those of us that do listen to Music, none should ever protest over this point.