Sign in to follow this  
Benevolent_ Beauty

where were U 1989-1992(outbreak of the war)

Blessed   

I was in Jeddah all packed and ready to go to join my sweet Habaryaro (ilahay ha u naxariisto) and older siblings in Burco. Hooyo went to the ticket office that morning; she was supposed to take me shopping when she got back- so I was hyper excited....

She came home tearful, angry and panicky and started calling all our relatives. The only thing I understood was that we weren’t going to Burco, Berbera or anywhere in Somalia for that matter.

My parents didn’t tell us (me and my bro) much about the war. I’ve only got the gory details a few years later, from my older sisters who got caught up in the whole thing. Even they spared me some of the brutal details till I was much older.

I suppose I was blessed- Alxamdulilah!

dawoco   

Brown hala yaabin, how could they possibly understand the magnitude of the suffering, when they haven't experienced it first hand and are too emotionally detached from it all.

Gartood waaye if even what little intellect they have fails to paint a horrific image of suffering in their heads, maybe they need to see it on video with firmiliar movie stars depicting the scenes for them and then their imagination can work a bit better :rolleyes:

Diamante   

^^ Even then they would probably still miss the whole point and comment on how good the camera captured all the "action" :rolleyes:

Brown-Brotha and Dawaco well said, unless they were there they will have no way of knowing the impact it has on a person

:(

-------------------

I don't believe in emails. I'm an old fashioned girl. I prefer calling and hanging up

NGONGE   

Heh. This alone is worth starting a whole new thread on. I've got to go home now, but before I go, I'm going to quickly come up with something on the topic elsewhere (got to respect the sombre feeling here you see).

Blessed   

-Edited-

Disregard my previous comment. Since Ngonge is the only one under attack, it’s no probs. In fact ya'll aren’t harsh enough..!

dawoco   

Ngonge you should call it "all things fun abt nintendos and civil wars" i'm sure it will go down well.

Ps:good luck with your commute home, traffic at this time can be a killer.

Intel   

Originally posted by *Diamante*:

unless they were there they will have no way of knowing the impact it has on a person

yep you're right Diamante i don't know what it was like, becuase i was not there alhamdulilah

& i'm sorry y'all have to go through it.

anyhow

my earlier comment was not intended to be a joke in amyway.. just to make it clear

Salaamz

First of all....thanx to all who replied for sharing their stories

Secondly, the intention of this post was not to bring about or rather resurrect the painful memories of the war nor was it to bring about humor to such a tragic, and to say the very least, an unfortunate event

The purpose of this thread, quite simply, was to share stories of our related past...and more profoundly not to forget and remember who we are, how far we have come and more importantly remember and inshallah pray for those who can't sit here today and talk about it as if it WAS the past...

until next time

Salaamz

raula   

^^^me too-wasn't there. But my sisters, my step family and ofcourse my dad and mom went thru' the horrid encounters. I have heard of the stories, I try to mull over the situations but cannot say I FULLY comprehend your sorrows. May Allah s.w. be with those who went thru' such horrandeous acts.

T'was chrismas break from school for us-and my Aunt(allaha uu naxaristo) was listening to BBC that evening when all over sudden she went NUMB-I knew that moment that something huge was amiss-and the rest is stunning saga that followed.

Paragon   

^^^ I was also in the Kenya/Somali border by then and together with my mother was listening to a one hour ethiopian (somali language) broadcast from 2-3 oclock. In the news bulletin they mentioned something about 'sporadic shootings' in the center of Mogadishu and the second we heard that my mother almost got a shock heart attack. By then I had my older Sister residing in Wardiigleey with a large number of relatives in some parts of xamar. Just few days after the war started, the borderline had a Somali exodus fleeing from the war. Among these refugees were close relatives, affected tremendously by the war. Death and Distruction.

There was no way the small town I lived could cope with such a number of people, so we had to improvise and atleast gather food supplies. Whatever the war experiance might had been for these Somalis, the hardship they went through the journey and the refugee camp was a horrid experiance. That is when I was heartbroken as I was looking forward to settling back in Somalia. I had big dreams. All were vanquished at once.

nuune   

I just can't comment, since it is very disturbing, I think it is good idea if I write a book about what I have seen on my own eyes!

Dawaco, where were you when warshada balcad ee dharka la gubay?