Sign in to follow this  
Benevolent_ Beauty

where were U 1989-1992(outbreak of the war)

Some folkz say inorder to pave our future, we must understand our past.....i don't if that has ne thing to do wit this q...

But..i thought it be fun and more importantly educational and inspiring for us to share our stories....no namez please...of how we came about to a foriegn land....

So.....where were U when it all happened???

i'll start....

when it all started...i was riding in the car wit pops rite afta we picked up ma older sister from high school..i had ma lil cute uniform..eatin' ma cotton candy..(mmmm..i can still taste it)...when all of sudden i see the traffic all jammed up n' ppl goin' bananaz....the traffic dude was goin' all crazy...ppl runnin...then all of sudden...this lady...that was completely bare (nude) is running towards our car wida huge rock...she hits our windshield...dadz tryna stay calm tryin to get outta the area...finally we reach open roads and drive back to the house.....n' the rest is history....

OG Moti   

I was in Mogadisho street, just got there running from Kuwait War, and days in mogadisho, I was in another war, that was October 1990, then I was once again looking for away out, what a mess, from war to war and end up in Cambodia.. maybe i should write a book.. in Somalia I never understood what was happing and I dont think I will ever understand,

Peace

I was very young and I had already been in Europe for a couple of years. I was sitting in a living room in a small town in The Netherlands, wondering why my mummy wouldn't let me watch Scooby-Doo instead of CNN.

Tahliil   

I'am sure some of u guys sparked the whole thing and were armed and shooting at pple..come on, play it real.....I don't buy that we were all suckin cotton candy, and running from it all. As for me I fled in the begining from Moga to Nairobi and never looked back...since then..

I came back from dugsi-Qur'aan only to see my whole extended family packing and hundreds of militias leading our escape from Xamar to Kismaayo. I still remember the lady who placed her luggage on my lap as we sat in the back of a huge truck and drove from Xamar to Kuntunwarey!

Originally posted by wind.talker:

I came back from dugsi-Qur'aan only to see my whole extended family packing and hundreds of militias leading our escape from Xamar to Kismaayo. I still remember the lady who placed her luggage on my lap as we sat in the back of a huge truck and drove from Xamar to Kuntunwarey!

If this was a week or so after it all went off and if the 'extended family' consisted of a few trucks and dozens of cars, I think I was in the same convoy. Do you think we're related? :D

Faheema.   

89 ? I was already in the UK, watching and trying to sing along to Soul 2 Soul's - Back To Life (Back To Reality) :D While eating a slice of (cold) bread with butter & jam, why didn't someone tell me you could toast the damn thing... bloody refugee :mad:

Bess.   

Here's another question...and it's for those who were not in somalia.... what did you hear? was it big news? Give us your views on how it was being away from home and hearing about it on the news......

J.Lee   

By '90, I was 4 eating mangos with pili pili in Nairobi and my biggest fear was getting cought by chokoras instead of a Militia Man with an RPG.

From what I gathered, My family were kindly reminded (by series of events) that it was in their best interest to pack what they could since they were soon to be endangered species and leave the country and that was at a time when the war was actually just a rumor/speculation.

o0o   

like wind.talker I had just came back from Dugsi {Qur'an} I was almost five. I remember I started Dugsi that day! so I come home my family had alrady packed their bags and were waiting on my father who was still at work. everyone was acting weird I was shoo confused then all of sudden we hear gun-shots then I realised that this was bad! anyway we drove from Xamar to Kismayo, but before we got to Kismayo we stayed in this lil village called kastoomo {I think} or was it kamsoomo? and OMG there were about 20 people in the car! :(

Diamante   

I can't believe some people here can talk so lightly about this. I'm seriously disturbed by this thread, I don't know why people are acting like it's such an easy thing to talk about whilst sipping your cuppa or what not. If I never hear about it again it would be too soon.

As small as I was, I don't think that children should be subjected to that.