Sign in to follow this  
Benevolent_ Beauty

where were U 1989-1992(outbreak of the war)

N.O.R.F   

^^True

Most of us were too young to even grasp what was going on at that time. Living away from somalia at the time was difficult, hearing bad news from families etc. All we heard was that there was a war and that is enough to make you know that the situation was serious. Only later on in life you start to put the pieces together and how detrimental it was for everyone. The start of the 1990s saw a huge influx of Somali refugees to Europe and the North America.

I think the light hearted-ness in this thread is more of a reflection on our attitudes today. Even though the events back then were atrocious and badly effected the majority of somali families, the reponses to this thread show that people are ready to put the past behind them (not totally) and get on with whats left of life. Your right its not a joking matter, allah yarxama to those who perished, we shall always remember them.

Jamster   

I remember when it broke out in Mogadishu! I was indeed in our living room, my mom was telling me off because I didn't change from my school uniform; my best friend (who was killed in Mogadishu because of he was clan x-- the boy was 13 years of age for the love of God) sitting next to me--- his family was in Paris for holiday at the time, so he was spending most of the time at our house; we realised that we were thirsty and asked the maide to bring us a cold water. As she was about to come in to the living room we heard a loud explosion and there it unfolded.

NGONGE   

I vividly remember that dark day in my life. Even now, almost fifteen years later, I still wake up in the middle of the night sweaty and disturbed by flashing dreams and disconcerting images.

I was an adolescent youngster, inexperienced and carefree. Life was great and easy back then. I had just purchased my new Nintendo console and was eager to play the Super Mario game that all my friends were raving about. The phone rang. I ignored it. It carried on ringing and ringing. In the meantime, Super Mario was crushing all those turtles. My mother walked into the room, slapped my head and muttered something then answered the phone. I carried on playing my game. Some time went by before I sensed that something was not right with the room! My mother was not on the phone anymore!

I turned round and looked at her (another turtle killed Mario). She was staring at me with an angry look! She waved the phone handle on my face and said, “It’s for YOUâ€. I panicked. Who could it be?

I took the phone of her hands and uttered a tentative HELLO! It was my friend (Cali Matag). He heard about my new computer game and was asking if he could come over and play. I told him that he could. He said that he’d drop by in an hour’s time. I hurriedly agreed and impatiently tried to end the conversation so as to get back to my game. I said BYE. He said BYE.

Just as I was about to put the phone down, I heard him say, “By the way, did you hear about the war in Somalia?â€

I hadn’t of course, but I quickly replied in the affirmative and hung up. Two weeks later, I was bored of my Super Mario game. The pointless guilt though, still remains.

PS

In reality of course I only found out about the war when the Somali guys I used to play football with used to discuss it and then turn to me and say “adna na xaggad ka qaxday?â€...for some reason “Carabta†was not a reply they appreciated!

STOIC   

Where was i that day? I was in kenya(ofcourse iam Sijui)cloying my shaah and Roti with jam at the time the war started in Mogadishu, little did i know my cousin(inaabti) who was working at Mogadishu at the time was in a hotbed.A week passed by without a word from her whereabout.The whole family were transfixed on BBC evening news while i was pre-occupied with my lost tooth (mapengo).On the second week a truck(lorry) full of Somali people pulled up to our compound, Every one was crying and hugging each other.My family had to make room for my cousin and her neighbours of many years in our house.They stayed with us for quite some time untill they left for Arabta.

Wallahi am so offended by some of you homourising one of the saddest moments in mankinds history.

To some of us this is a chapter of our lives that we will hope to bury it forever. Some of us have lost very dear ppl in our lives, and its quite disrespectful that some of you folks come in here and jest on it.

Am sincerly offended by this.

SOME PPL NEVER MADE IT OUT.

SOME PPL DIED WHILE FLEEING.

SOME PPL GOT EXECUTED WHILE FLEEING.

SOME PPL DIED OF STARVATION.

SOME PPL WERE EATEN ALIVE BY LIONS.

SOME PPL SIMPLY COULNDT WALK!

Who is going to speak for the dead?

Who is going to speak for the raped?

who is going to speak for the frightened?

*diamante, walaalo i didnt even read your post, until now. at least someone is seeing where i come from*

dawoco   

Sometimes it is jst inappropriate to be funny abt certain subjects, but hey, what do i know if my sense of humor fails me when we talk abt a war that distroyed so many innocents :rolleyes: As the song said "thank god it is them instead of you", how appropriate :rolleyes:

As for me, it started with the government crashin down, some weapon wearing rebels came to our house and ordered us to get out and to safety cos they were gonna attack a villa two houses down and the explosion would reach our house. We made the trek to an aunty's house.

After that we returned home and tried to get on with life, though life no included regular sounds of gunshots and classmates getting shot every now and then. At one point we were stuck in our house with bullets raining down on us and my parents trying to keep us all down. As soon as it stopped we fled our house, though it was in the middle of the night. For me it was a huge adventure and being up at that time was something exciting. I remember my sister saying "where did those rocks come from" as we walked past firmiliar teritories and my uncle replying "those aren't rocks theya re bodies."

Anyway we were transported out of the city by a cousin who took us halfway to Balcad, we were stranded in the middle of nowhere and were at the mercy of farmers that were extorting us out of every last penny when they weren't making fun of the city folk. After four days camping under a tree my abti came and took us the rest of the way to his house in Balcad. We stayed there couple of weeks and returned home when the government was overthrown and things had settled in a bit.

After that the whole tribalism thing began and the bililiqeeysi commenced. Strangers we had never seen wanted to get the little things the left behind the lst time they plundered our house and our abtiyaal had to move into our house to safegaurd it while we stayed with a neighbour, gaurded by a dozen soldiers. At that point my parents had decided enough was enough and we went to egypt, accompanied by our mother. A trip that was to last 3months extended to almost 15 yrs, give or take.

Inti muslimiin ah oo ku dhimatay dagaalkaas Allah u naxariisto, aamiin.

STOIC   

Brown-brotha i hope my post did not offend you, if so i am ready to edit.No one will underestimate the magnitude of the war.

Stoic, bro i wasnt refering to anyone in particular.

I find it very sad, that whereas it is upon us to commomerate and pray for the dead and think of the destruction caused to our ppl, some ppl have the audacity to mock and ridicule a very sad part of our history.

theres a time for joking and theres a time for reality.

dawaco, well said huuno