Sign in to follow this  
Jacpher

Selected to serve jury

chubacka   

Yes I was about a year ago, I was thinking of a way to get out of it as I really dnt wanna go an dnt know if it was islamically right, anyway I wrote some lame excuse about not being about to attend and was meaning to post it and I lost the bloody thing.

Alhamdulliah I ain't heard from dem despite their many threats on the letter about ignoring da letter.

If you dnt wanna go dnt reply, i really doubt they will contact you again...

Skipper   

Jimcaale no i never have been called in to be a jury. I am not that lucky. However since you the lucky guy i thought i did give you one or two tips. Try to negotiate with the defendant secretly. It depends on how big the case is, the bigger the better. Like a father who has killed his family, wife kids, the whole lot. Top dollar in this bussiness. You get your money in a swiss account and all you have to do is act cool, have an iar that you dont give a damn the verdict of the case, and you try to sway the decesion swiftly. Good luck and if my advice works do send some money via dahabshil, not much, say a hundred grand dollars would be jsut fine.

Nephissa   

Yeah I watched that movie Skipper, it's called "The Runaway Jury." :D

I have never been selected for jury duty, hadana Allah iima kaso, there's a lot to consider, especially if you work with the public. Ya never know who's sitting in that court room in support of the accused. Iskaba deey seeing the prisoner himself oo indhaha kugu soo cadeenaayo, meeha leenbo ku suuxi lahaay.

Baluug   

If you're ever called for jury duty, remember the wise words of Homer Simpson. "Tell them you're racist against everyone".

Skipper   

Originally posted by the nephthys:

Iskaba deey seeing the prisoner himself oo indhaha kugu soo cadeenaayo, meeha leenbo ku suuxi lahaay.

Neph indeed you got that right by naming the name of the movie. But why will you faint dear? You that softie.

Nehanda   

Yes, i have been called for jury duties and unfortunately is not easy to opt out. You are issued with a jury reference number and expected to complete a form.

I was likely that just before my court appearance the case was dropped.

At the moment one of my work colleague is serving as a jury for a double homicide. Been off from work for over 3 months now.

yes, I have been called in and I didnt know what to do. Then next morning I called saying I have an exam that same date and strangely enough they did except my excuse without asking me any proof.

Baashi   

Yes and I made through the selection process, sat the whole proceeding for about eight weeks. Needless to say I lost a great deal of income (not to mention it was my first professional job -- intern). At the end they compensated my losses by giving me meager 12 cents/mile (at the time -- '99 - 00') for commuting to and from the court, $30/day, and paid lunch (only) bills.

Educational yes but def not fun. Be honest in your answers in the vetting process and remember its your civic duty to serve in this type of services.

Good luck budy.

Fabregas   

Originally posted by -:

The easy to get out of it is to yell Allahu Akbar once you enter the court. Of course, there could be unforseen consequences, but this usually works.

Or you can just turn up on the first day and simply ask them if they enforce Shariah law! :D

lol@che, saas maa Jury Duty u neceb tahay?

Aniga, I can't wait to be selected, just reading the title of the thread had me excited all over again.

Only person I had seen with an order for to appear is my mom, and she was picked twice, each time she called and gave a reason, and they accepted it. I asked her to ask the clerk if I can substitute for her, I was that excited, but unfortunately, thats not how it works.

When my time comes, and I know it will, I want it to be something special, like robbery/rape/murder, I don't want to be selected for a civil matters, hell no. I don't care about $$$$(I would do it for free) if the trial is long, because just having to sit in a court room and have that defendent look into my eyes and see hope is worth it all and go through that experience is priceless. I even thought of a way to sway the other jurors so we can be on deliberation for as long as we can, and at the end, I am hoping everyone will vote my way.