Sign in to follow this  
BOB

2008 African Cup Of Nations in Ghana.

BOB   

Salam Aleikum W.W

...with a better finisher than their #10 Ismail Bangura...Guinea could've beaten Ghana but in the end Muntari special decided the out come of the game...I don't think Ghana can win the cup and I'm not judging them only on this game but I don't think they're good enough, however against Guinea they were unlucky not to win the match with bigger margin and they were under intense pressure from their public especially now that they're playing at home.

they say the best time to play against the host nations is the first game and it was clear that Ghana seemed completely different from the side that played at the world cup maybe the pressure from their adoring fans and the heat got to them little bit...Pascal Feinduno is a class act and he deserves better team than Guniea...Ghana's striker plays for Nottingham Forest redface.gif and you think he will win matches for you against the likes of Nigeria, Ivory Coast and Cameroon?

Ivory Coast were lucky to beat Nigeria but what a goal to win such a big match...Kalou has been disappointing until that moment and I thought the Ivorian coach should've subbed Drogba long time ago as it was clear that he wasn't at his best as he was no where near as inspirational as he normally is...I'm a fan of Bakari Kone...simply because I watch him week in and week out in the French league and I'm impressed by his speed and ability to evade tackles and it wont be long before we see him in the premier League...remember THE GOAL he scored against Holland at the last world cup in Germany?

Taye Taiwo...the Roberto Carlos of Africa...he arguably has the fiercest and the most powerful shot in world football and he was desperately unlucky not to score against Ivory Coast...over all I was disappointed with Nigeria as I expected more from them especially when they went 1-0 down and I felt their hopes went with Kanu as he seemed to tame Yaya Toure and Didier Zokora with his deft touches and accurate passes and once he was stretched off Yaya and Zokora started to come forward at will as they knew Mikel was no match for them or anybody else in Green.

Mali beat Benin but JUST...I am one of those who expected Benin to be thrashed but they proved me wrong and credit to them for giving the much fancied Mali a run for their money and they were unlucky to concede the penalty.

And finally about the referees...so far so good but CAF should instruct the refs to slow down with the yellow cards because it seems every time they blow a whistle out comes the yellow and the game between Nigeria and Ivory Coast was a good game played in a good spirit yet each team received 3 or 4 yellow cards (I think) with soft fouls and last but not least...last night just before the Mali Vs Benin match kicked off there was power failure for about 25-30 minutes but apart from that minor technical problem the tournament is great (in African standard).

Come on Pharaohs...show these Cubs (they're not Indomitable Lions anymore) why you're THE UNDISPUTED KINGS OF AFRICAN FOOTBALL.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

Thierry.   

I remember Asamoah of Ghana from the world cup and still the dude cannot score to save his life 18 shots on goal and they only scored once, I didnt watch Ivory Coast but with a better stricker Ghana can be formidable they should Play the young boy pele son

BOB   

Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

Well, it is over ,,,, i can't believe Egypt beats Cameroon to 4 - 2

Salam Aleikum W.W

Waryee Jaceylbaro...stick to your politics and leave the sport to the sportsmen sababtoo ah warba kama heysid :D ...Cameroon never beat Egypt in Younde never mind in a neutral venue marka it wasn't one bit of a surprise to me and I'm not saying this because I'm a fan of the Pharaohs but because it's simply a fact and one more thing...Cameroon are a team in transition bit like Arsenal if you like...as you may know the old guard has to be replaced but unfortunately for Cameroon they did it too late and they paid the price for it...

just remember the name Mohamed Zidan...this new 'Kid' on the block will be a nightmare to many defenders...pity he's 26 years old and he turned down the opportunity to play for Egypt in the last year's African Cup of Nations in Egypt...he thought Egypt were not good enough to reach the knockout phase let alone win the tournament...Illeyn Talo Isuma Kaa Sheegto. :D

Our brothers from Sudan got a thrashing of their own in the hands of the Chipolopolo aka Zambia...they played a good football and there were few decent players in their ranks and their skipper who also happens to be the skipper of Al Hilal Haitham Mustafa is one gifted playmaker too bad waa caato and he was easily been pushed aside all through the match but believe me that guy can play...ask any Al Ahly fan what he did to them in the last year's African Champions League semi-final...

PS. The maid thought that there were few Somali players playing for them...she said they looked like Somali in everything including the names. :D

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

Roger Mila was taken aback yesterday, I tell you. His mouth wide open. He couldn't believe what he was seeing. World stars outplayed by local Al-Ahly players. The pharoahs deserved the win. They could even win with a bigger margin.

Egypt is my nightmare. I can't stand a North African taking the cup again but, with yesterday's show of talent & technic things doesn't look promising for both the elephants and the black stars.

N.O.R.F   

Those Masaaris are passionate about the game man. A packed out cafe it was, flags everywhere and the whole street was decked out in the colours (Xaafadaha yagaa ku badan).

Guinea, with 10 men, beat Morroco 3-2. Finally, a glimpse of hope. Morroco will most probably pack their bags by next week.

Guinea, one of the underdogs in this group, had a great match today.

Hope SA crashes Tunisia on sunday.

N.O.R.F   

^^Good game and Guinea nearly throw it away in the end.

GJ, thanks saxib but I finally got the relevant sports channels. I'm busy catching up with some of the CL games and goals this season.

The way Ghana is playing in this tournament, particularly in last night's match against Namibia, I don't think they can beat Morroco. They're so unorganized with individualistic tendencies. I hope they do not disappoint me any further.

Looking forward to Nigeria v Mali tonight. Go Frédéric Kanouté!! Do your magic.

Looks like the Pharoahs will have a smooth run to the semis. They are headed to play against either South Africa or Tunisia in the quarters. And face Ivory coast in the semis. Oh! How I hate to see them in the finals..