Sign in to follow this  
BOB

2008 African Cup Of Nations in Ghana.

A.J.   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

quote:Originally posted by A.J.:

quote:

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^ Yeah. Did you recognise the wife shagger though?
:D

(Don't mention any names; for legal reasons of course).
:D:D

Isnt every married man a wife shagger?
Don't be so vulgar, son.
vulgar? What are you talking about???

N.O.R.F   

Why kick off on a Sunday at 5pm GMT when you can do it on Friday and people have a whole weekend of football? :rolleyes:

Thought this was interesting

The Nations Cup's missing stars

The 26th Africa Cup of Nations is not short of big names - but it could have been even more star-studded.

For every Didier Drogba or Samuel Eto'o strutting his stuff in Ghana, there is another player from Africa not on show.

Quite apart from the countries which failed to qualify, there are many great players from Africa who opted to play for a European country instead.

In fact, several legends of world football were born in Africa, only to go onto play for their adopted home.

France midfielder Patrick Vieira grew up in Senegal, and admitted his heart was divided when he took on the Teranga Lions at the 2002 World Cup playing for Les Bleus.

Vieira's companion in the centre of midfield, Claude Makelele, is a similar case.

Born in Kinshasa, Makelele left the DR Congo for France at a young age.

Both men played a major part in France winning the 1998 World Cup and the 2000 European Cup, not to mention helping their domestic sides to countless trophies.

Another man who will be conflicted at the moment is German international Gerald Asamoah.

Asamoah is of Ghanaian origin, and had the option to play for the Black Stars.

By choosing to play for Germany he instead finished third in the 2006 World Cup, and played in the 2002 final in Yokohama, Japan.

Perhaps the attacking player does not regret his choice too much!

Senegal are the side who have been particularly badly hit, perhaps as a result of the country's close links to the former colonial master France.

As well as Vieira, a pair of full backs have opted to play for the Tricolours: Manchester United's Patrice Evra and Arsenal's Bakary Sagna.

The two are among the best young defenders in the game and would have added defensive strength to the Teranga Lions.

Equally Ivory Coast would benefit from the Arsenal and Switzerland defender Johan Djourou, and perhaps from the France striker Djibril Cissé, whose father was an Ivorian international.

Djibril Cisse's France team-mate Sidney Govou is also the son of an African international, from Benin in this case.

As well as players born in its former west African colonies, France has obtained many talents from the waves of immigration from the Maghreb.

Zinedine Zidane was of Algerian origin, and so is the man many tip to follow in his footsteps, Marseille wonder-kid and France international Samir Nasri.

Several talents of African origin have played for Belgium, including Congolese-qualified brothers Emile and Mbo Mpenza, and the imposing defender Vincent Kompany.

Often the footballer who takes a European nationality grew up in that country, and is as least as much European as African.

But it is not always the case.

The legendary Eusebio played all his early football in his native Mozambique, before moving to Portugal and eventually becoming one of the top goal-scorers at the 1966 World Cup.

Eusebio's case was a little different though: at the time Mozambique did not exist as an independent country!

To go even further back into history, the former France defender Michael Silvestre discovered that his ancestors were taken as slaves from Guinea to the West Indies.

It would be pushing it a bit to suggest the Manchester United player narrowly missed out on a career with Guinea though!

What is clear is that European football nations have benefited from an influx of talent from Africa, while the reverse has not always been true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/7179496.stm

Thierry.   

Sad article I am surprised about Senegal I didn’t know they had that many players playing for France

I am expecting some mediocre refereeing :D

A.J.   

Originally posted by Thierry:

Sad article I am surprised about Senegal I didn’t know they had that many players playing for France

I am expecting some mediocre refereeing

loool, so true. i remember in the last one in egypt there was a game where there was 11 minutes of extra -time. made me laught out loud that one :D

N.O.R.F   

All times in GMT

Fixtures

Sunday, 20 January 2008

Ghana v Guinea, A, 17:00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, 21 January 2008

Mali v Benin, B, 19:30

Namibia v Morocco, A, 15:00

Nigeria v Ivory Coast, B, 17:00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, 22 January 2008

Egypt v Cameroon, C, 17:00

Sudan v Zambia, C, 19:30

Wednesday, 23 January 2008

South Africa v Angola, D, 19:30

Tunisia v Senegal, D, 17:00

Thursday, 24 January 2008

Ghana v Namibia, A, 19:30

Guinea v Morocco, A, 17:00

Friday, 25 January 2008

Ivory Coast v Benin, B, 17:00

Nigeria v Mali, B, 19:30

Saturday, 26 January 2008

Cameroon v Zambia, C, 17:00

Egypt v Sudan, C, 19:30

Sunday, 27 January 2008

Senegal v Angola, D, 17:00

Tunisia v South Africa, D, 19:30

Monday, 28 January 2008

Ghana v Morocco, A, 17:00

Guinea v Namibia, A, 17:00

Tuesday, 29 January 2008

Ivory Coast v Mali, B, 17:00

Nigeria v Benin, B, 17:00

Wednesday, 30 January 2008

Cameroon v Sudan, C, 17:00

Egypt v Zambia, C, 17:00

Thursday, 31 January 2008

Senegal v South Africa, D, 17:00

Tunisia v Angola, D, 17:00

Sunday, 03 February 2008

Winner Group A v Runner-up Gp B, Quarter Final,

Winner Group B v Runner-up Gp A, Quarter Final,

Monday, 04 February 2008

Winner Gp C v Runner-up Gp D, Quarter Final,

Winner Gp D v Runner-up Gp C, Quarter Final,

Thursday, 07 February 2008

Winner Q/F 1 v Winner Q/F 4, Semi-Final,

Winner Q/F 2 v Winner Q/F 3, Semi-Final,

Saturday, 09 February 2008

Loser SF1 v Loser SF2, 3rd and 4th Place Play-Offs,

Sunday, 10 February 2008

Winner SF1 v Winner SF2, Final,

NGONGE   

Players choose who they want to play for. No shame about it. But the real joke is Egypt's Hossam Ghaly! He decided to skip this tournament to...wait for it...help Derby Country stay up!

Having said that, Reading's Ibrahima Sonko is the cousin of Arsenal's (France's) Bacary Sagna! :D

ps

After Graham Poll issued three yellow cards in the World Cup I don't think anybody is in a position to have a go at poor African referees.

BOB   

Originally posted by Northerner:

ps the games are at a convenient time and the local Egyptian joints will be packed with fanatics!!! :cool:

Supersport will be showing all the games LIVE and I will be watching all the matches from the comfort of my dusty sitting room Insha Allah...

I thought I should make you guys little bit jealous and by the way how many of you know that we watch Premier League, Serie A, La Liga, French League and Portuguese League LIVE and we also get Arsenal TV, Liverpool TV, Man Utd TV, Chelsea TV, Barcelona TV and Real Madrid TV and that's only football...there's tennis, rugby, cricket, boxing and athletics and shall I tell you how many movie channels we have?

but do you know what the best part of it all is?the price...the monthly fee we pay...try to guess how much would one pay for all these? the zulus say Ya Chesa...meaning it's hot. :D

Northerner...I'm sorry my brother...you know I love you.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

N.O.R.F   

Your lucky man. I have to sign up to three different sports packages to get all that. Looks like I have to get the ART package to watch the African nation (I'm always last minute). Didnt want to get it until the CL starts again. I'll wait and see if Al Jazeera Sports have it first for free :D

ps do you get NBA TV? I have to get a another receiver :rolleyes:

BOB   

Salam Aleikum W.W

No my brother we don't have NBA TV but we do have ESPN which shows two games LIVE every week (Wednesday & Friday) and some times there are double-headers...but I don't watch it as the time difference makes it impossible for me to watch but I watch repeats later in the day if it's possible.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

N.O.R.F   

I spent the best part of the night trying to find a sports channel showing the game. I tapped in the numbers on the Hotbird dish but to no avail. They are all blocked or need to be padi for. Think I'll have to succumb to forking out for ART :(

^^Feel pity for you. We're getting it for free on Eurosport(scandanavian version).

Any analysis from yesterday's match? Heard the Ghanians weren't as impressive as expected. I hope they scare up some better football next time.

The sports section is scaringly quite. Wonder where all those football-fanatics are.

NGONGE   

Heh@ North :D

All the games are LIVE on the BBC. Just press the red button. Oooops! I forgot that you moved away. :D

ps

I missed the first game. Was it any good? Do Ghana look the business?

N.O.R.F   

^^Yeah yeah. Come tomorrow night when Egypt are playing Cameroon I'm sure you would love to be where I intend to be (see earlier posts) with a decent 'canab' and mint tea :cool: