Sign in to follow this  
BOB

2008 African Cup Of Nations in Ghana.

BOB   

Salam Aleikum W.W

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has conducted the draw for the 2008 African Cup of Nations.

The three-week affairs will take place in Ghana, so it was in the capital Accra that the draw was held on Friday, October 19, 2007. Ghana last hosted the African Nations Cup in 2000, jointly with Nigeria.

The event was attended by a number of dignitaries including the President of the host country, Mr. John Kuffour.

The draw was conducted by veteran African and Ghanaian soccer legend Abedi Pele Ayew and 1998 World Cup winner and former captain of France, Marcel Desailly, who has a Ghanaian root.

The son of Abedi Pele, who is called Dede Ayew, is expected to play for Ghana next after making his Black Star debut against Senegal's Lions of Teranga recently in a friendly international in England. The lad plays for his father's former club Olympique Marseille in France's Ligue 1 after refusing to play for France. Desailly also played for Marseille when the club won the 1993 UEFA Champions League along with Abedi Pele over AC Milan.

The sixteen finalists are dominated by national teams from West Africa, seven in all and they are Ghana, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Benin, Senegal and Mali.

Cameroon, Ghana, Nigeria, Egypt and Ivory Coast have all won the title before and are the likely favorites to lift the cup next year.

Sudan and Namibia will be making a reappearance following many years of absence from the continent's greatest football extravaganza.

With the exception of the Hawks of Togo, the rest of the five representatives of Africa at the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany, namely Ghana, Ivory Coast, Angola and Tunisia will be at the pending Nations Cup finals.

Africans will have the moment to watch great African footballers that are making names in the big leagues of Europe. They include the reigning African Footballer of the Year Didier Drogba (Chelsea and Ivory Coast), Samuel Eto'o Fils (FC Barcelona and Cameroon), Michael Essien (Chelsea and Ghana), Fredie Kanoute (FC Sevilla and Mali), Benedict McCarthy (Blackburn Rovers and South Africa) and Obafemi Martins (Newcastle United and Nigeria).

The Simba of the Democratic Republic of Congo has been a regular Africa Nations Cup finalist but failed to reach the 2008 event. Thus, skipper Tresor Lomana Lualua will also be an absentee.

The whistle to begin the battle will be blown on January 20, 2007 with the opening match involving Ghana Black Stars and the Sylli Nationale of Guinea, led by Pascal Feindonou and Foday Mansare.

Group A:

Ghana

Morocco

Guinea

Namibia

Group B:

Nigeria

Ivory Coast

Mali

Benin

Group C:

Egypt

Cameroon

Zambia

Sudan

Group D:

Senegal

Tunisia

South Africa

Angola

May The Best Team Win.

Peace, Love & Unity.

BOB   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Abu Trika all the way.
:D

That's the most sensible thing you ever said here which begs the question...Why on earth are you wasting your valuable time on Liverpool who are as dead as the Disco (showing my age there) or are you one of those 'fans' who don't give a hoot about a team until they win something major..like err err Champions league? :D

<----The Fan of The Pharaohs...

Northerner...You stand a good chance if you are waiting for a "black" team to win :D:D:D . after all only Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia are non-blacks...Sudan team is dominated by Nubis like Saudia or UAE football teams:)

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

Skipper   

Hehehehe. chelsea and arsenal will suffer more than any team due to the African cup of nations. I cant see chelsea winning games without essiean and drogba. Same goes to arseanl who will be without toure and eboue amoun others. I remember when the africc cup of nations was held in tunisia, and tunisia went on to win the cup and it was a real joy to watch them, because they were worthy winners.

Skipper   

Hehehehe. chelsea and arsenal will suffer more than any team due to the African cup of nations. I cant see chelsea winning games without essiean and drogba. Same goes to arseanl who will be without toure and eboue amoun others. I remember when the africc cup of nations was held in tunisia, and tunisia went on to win the cup and it was a real joy to watch them, because they were worthy winners.

Thierry.   

Ivory coast seem to have the strongest team, but I saw Ghana in the world cup and they looked hot plus they are the host country and for some reason host countries always win (is it corruption we dont know)

Ghana all the way

Im glad Togo didnt qualify, Adebayour can stay at the gunners :D

Ghana definitely. It's a strong team and they are at home, a vital combination in football. Ivory coast is also a team to reckon with. I guess and hope to see Ghana and Ivory coast in the finals.

I see Morroco and Egypt have good odds to get to the quaters...I hate to see North Africans taking home the cup once again.

Originally posted by Northerner:

Should be another good one. I'm with any black African team but would like to Kanoute and Mali do well this year.

With Nigeria and Ivory coast in their team Mali will have hard time to get to the second round.

Though the Nigerians are unpredictable.

A.J.   

Oddball,, that is the true but the nigerians do have some genuine quality in Mikel, Yakubu, Kanu et al. I hope Mali does do well with brother Kanoute but dont see much chance of that happening.

I'd tip the Ivory Coast team not only because they have the best striker in the world at this moment but because they have an all round strong team. Have a look at what their team could look like

Goal Keeper: Boubacar Barry

Defence: Eboue, Meite, (Bolton) Kolo Toure, Boka

Midfield: Zokora , Yahya Toure, Romaric

Attack: Arouna Kone, Drogba, Kalou

That is a very good side that could beat a lot of European sides

A.J.   

But i actually hope they go out in the first round so we can have Drogba back as soon as possible