Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

Somaliland Activity Guide Thread 2011

Juxa   

how did you manage to be refused entry to jabuuti?

you should have used lacagtaas and pay for xagal-shaah (looking closely tho i assume it was not enough)

^ juxa, this was back in January 2011. We made the journey overland from Somaliland. In hindsight, maybe this wasn't the best idea. All the people were allowed in, despite having no passports. I was refused for 'terrorism'/'passport forgery' related excuses. One week before another guy from the UK was allegedly tortured by the Djiboutian authorities. My colleague was refused because her passport had no pages left to stamp lol and we'd gone to Djibouti to get Ethiopian visas, because we were refused ethiopian visas. Somaliland sucks for overland travel outside its borders. You have to fly especially if you have western passports.

i made a toast to the Djiboutian border control with this stunning view in Djibouti earlier this week.....

for those colour-conscious among you, i'm really this dark. Sun tanning lol.

254097_10150217517759250_675814249_70292

lol.

blessed, add my new e-cash credit card to that list. its amazing how money works in Somaliland. you're constantly having to deal in two currencies.

Sheraton Djibouti.

Passports are not needed for Djibs to travel to and from Yemen/Ethiopia/Somalia overland but "laissez-passer" are highly recommended;

even our own group returning back from Arabsiyo in 2000 were refused entry at Loyada without it, before a prominent member was recognised.

The one day travel overland was a unique experience though.

Come to think about it, I should maybe host a Solers meeting in Hargeysa this summer.

ramadan in Somaliland is very peculiar. Its seems like the whole country comes to life after 6pm. contrary to what i was told previously, the city doesn't stay up all night nor is it like the exoticised middle east souk alleyways you see on tourist sites and brochures. the only thing that practically stands out in Somaliland is the over-consumption of somasos, ripe watermelons and khat.

it was only a last minute decision to fast. I planned to spend this holiest of months travelling east Africa. but, if truth be hold, i couldn't stomach the thought of having a nice cocktail on a beach in Mombasa. looking back over the last 10 days, it was definitely the right decision to stay in somaliland.

nuune   

Thanks for reviving this thread, looking forward your trip to Garoowe(u will be lost in the wilderness), maybe ttat needs another thread I guess but keep this one alive, and stop praying Isha at 2AM, and pay that damn maid her monthly ijaar, it is already 23th of August.

lol@nuune,

I'm certaintly not going anywhere near Puntland. I have to seek security clearance.

I was recently told, the later you pray isha, the more good deeds you recieve, ma ruunba?

As for the maid, all communication has been ceased, at least from my side. She made a grave allegation against me just last week. I'm still dumbfounded as to how I'm allowing her to continue her services. I guess its all part of a greater initiative called 'creating jobs for local people''. I was recently honoured by Dowlada Hoose Hargeisa. The ceremony was held at Freedom Park and pictures of me appeared on TV and newspapers planting trees.

NGONGE   

What sort of grave allegation, Alpha? (bear in mind that we can go evil with our guesses or we can just limit it to bed-wetting escapades). :D