Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Somalilanders: The 2011 Census

The Zack   

Jacphar LOOOL..Abtiriska hala qorto miyaa meesha? :D Good idea.

On a serious note, I am sure the Brtish government would be confused if they see that. Somalia is barely known there do you think sub sub sub qabiils would be? Somalis in the qurbaha aren't even a million yet so nobody really cares about them.

Jacpher   

Ibti would have you believe 60% of UK Somalis are ethnically Somali and regionally from Somalia especifically Northwestern Somalia, a place that has been seeking to secede the past twenty years from the country. I don't know about the figure but these people are Somali by ethnicity and their national origin is Somali or Somalia since by law UK doesn't recognize Somaliland as a country. I can only image the Census bureaucrats going in circles figuring out what to do with Somalis writing in so many different labels on the Census forms. From what I know, the Census is used to determine the govenmental representation, social, community services and schooling funds an area should receive from the federal government. The rest of the data is used for statistical purposes, not to fund, aid or recognize foreign governments. Census officialls don't care if you were born in Banaadir, Burco or Boosaaso. I can only imagine the headache these Census people is waiting to happen. Reminds me of a friend who told me he substituted for high school teacher one day and asked students to record their attendance on a sheet. Each student wrote in a celebrity name after his. They handed in a two sheet paper of which half of the names were Hollywood celebrities.

Heck the SOL spell check doesn't recognize Somaliland. It's yelling at me with red underline marks as I type the word. Ibti work on the spell check recognition first.

Jacpher;699103 wrote:
Ibti would have you believe 60% of UK Somalis are ethnically Somali and regionally from Somalia especifically Northwestern Somalia, a place that has been seeking to secede the past twenty years from the country. I don't know about the figure but these people are Somali by ethnicity and their national origin is Somali or Somalia since by law UK doesn't recognize Somaliland as a country. I can only image the Census bureaucrats going in circles figuring out what to do with Somalis writing in so many different labels on the Census forms. From what I know, the Census is used to determine the govenmental representation, social, community services and schooling funds an area should receive from the federal government. The rest of the data is used for statistical purposes, not to fund, aid or recognize foreign governments. Census officialls don't care if you were born in Banaadir, Burco or Boosaaso. I can only imagine the headache these Census people is waiting to happen. Reminds me of a friend who told me he substituted for high school teacher one day and asked students to record their attendance on a sheet. Each student wrote in a celebrity name after his. They handed in a two sheet paper of which half of the names were Hollywood celebrities.

Heck the SOL spell check doesn't recognize Somaliland. It's yelling at me with red underline marks as I type the word. Ibti work on the spell check recognition first.

:D:D:D

maybe we need SOL qabil census first

The Zack   

Jacphar, you raised good points. Keep in mind, London or maybe the UK is the only place in this world where Reer Waqooyiga believe they are the majority (over other Somalis).

Jacpher   

Believing doesn't make it so but I hear you. It only makes the process inclusive if every maryooley marks his own toolo.

Ibtisam   

Jacpher;699103 wrote:

How did I miss this important memo. Thanks Ibti. I am gonna put Puntland on mine and will spread it to my tol. We still have few weeks to go. PL folks in UK, show your love for Ibti. Same thing with Moqdisho & Ocaden folks. Make sure you mark yourself as your region to get better Census stats and better development for your region even though the Census has nothing to do with anything outside the country.

As I said shows how little YOU know or even understand. the census once it is turned into figures and statistics it is open for ANYONE to use, how and the way they like it. The information is collected for the state- yes and it is used to plan for the UK population, but the census is also the bedrock of all academic studies (particularly in research and development), recommendations and yes it is useful to us as a community.

By the way again, the data is not handled manually by data collectors- so it can't confuse anyone (it is scanned it to a computer which categorizes the information) so if you write something unrecognized it will invalid and voided (i.e. not included) so unless you can get together 39000 of Puntilanders (born there) and get them to write it as an answer to the same question with the same spelling (if you can please do) then you are just corrupting the data.

As I keep saying this is pretty useless as political tool nor does it have any bearing on the recognition or lack of it for Somaliland. Also the fact that there are more Somalis from Somaliland in the UK is hardly a secret- same way Italy hosts more Somalis from the clans in the far coast and the dominant clans in puntiland (all these things are not my saying- academic studies which you can find on any journals and published data- start of Jstore). Of course in the last few years the scales have been tipped by all the tahrib and people fleeing the new wars 2006/2007, so I am assume all the balance are now changing.

As for ZACK, there are about 250000 Somalis in the UK and you think we are barely known by the government, they could not avoid Somalis if they tried.

Jacpher   

Ibti: Your message is loud and clear. If Somalilanders do it, "it is vital and important for practical reason and for academic reasons that we know how many [somalilanders] in numbers are here." But if others do it, it is "just corrupting the data" Zack and I are at least fair and impartial.

Anyho, thanks to you, I passed the word over to other Somalis grouplists , forums and urged all to include their clan information. Hopefully, this Census will record all those Somali qabiils living in UK.

Paragon   

Weger! War nin weyn oo gar iyo gafuur leh magac asalkiisu af-ingriisi yahay ku ma dal-doorsan karaya ee maad sidaa arrinku ka daysaan?

Wiil: Oo Aabe lander waa maxay?

Aabe: Aabe dhalanteed.

Alloow Deyrwaa magacii raaji. Waan u duceeyaa markaa xasuusto gabaygiisii Hamiga Yurub iyo Hurdada Afrika - ninkaa reer Hargeysa wuxuu yiri:

'Ambashadu ma fiicnee naftaa laga adkaadaaye....

Abwaankii Salaan Timacadiyo ololihii Faarax

Ismaaciil Miriyo Qowdhaniyo Odayadii hoyday

Ifka dhaqan wareeriyo hadday waxan ogyiin saaka

Adduunyaduba soo hoya beey odhan lahaayeene

Nasabnimada lama iibiyee adhaxtirka u diida!

Bashiir   

Zack, cadadka jaaliya Ogadeenya ee u jooga the ex-colonial UK, waa meeqo? Ina taree wax qaadi haday dhanyihiin soo guura dheh haday Bangaalida ka badan yhiina waa la idiin iman dheh. :)

ElPunto   

Not sure how politically useless a tool this campaign is if the Somaliland 'ambassador' is part of the halgan.

Samafal   

Ibti sis since you need 250,000 people to to tick their nationality as Somalilanders, do you really believe that there're that many of them here and even if they are will heed your appeal?

It would make sense if we found out how many Somalis live in the UK rather than how many live in certain regions of Somalia. In that way at least we can be a force to be reckoned with and respected by the politicians and councils and they would listen to us more. But imagine after people heed your appeal it turned out that there are only 200, 000 people who ticked as Somalilanders that wouldbe invalidated and would not count, as you said. But think how much weight that will take out from the Somali ethnic camp census?

Let us leave the twisted politics back home and be realistic and pull together as Somalis while in these foreign lands.

Ibtisam   

Samafal:

It is not a SOL campaign. in fact less than 100 people from Somaliland baa SOL joog (including silent readers- yes I already a head count), just the 10 that post wey qala badanyihin so they seem more. laaking this is a wide campaign- have you not seen the ads on TV? :D

The Somaliland community is well connected so yes it is possible.

The census will automaticly tell us HOW many Somalis in the UK regardless of the other question; you gain respect not in numbers but political contributions and influence in the UK. Sadly our community as a whole continue to act like visitors so politicians dont take any notice of them- unless they are talking about Ciid and fruad.

Jacpher: OOgan baad degh isko tiri, hey daalin inadheer- if you can get Puntiland- all of Puntiland then do so, laaking writing Burco, Garow and Xamar as you suggested IS corrupting the data. Zack and you fail to take of your political glasses and want to force this issue as a political issue. I tried my best, laakin it seems you dont understand the role or aim of census let alone how we can mainpulate the information to suit us. You also cannot get pass the fact that everything does not have to be political.

Salaam Ibti,

I don't think anyone should doubt your sincerity, nor should they question your unwavering support for local community in and outside the country, thy region (somaliland). That said, I do want to state the following, by highlighting your own words:

Quote #1:

There is a campaign to make sure that you record and identify yourself as a Somalilander.

Quote #2:

There is a large community of Somalilanders in the UK and considering they make up to almost 60% of Somaliland's income it is vital and important for practical reason and for academic reasons that we know how many in numbers are here.

and...

When Val queried about the dual nationality section, your first response was:

Val: Country of origin

then you followed with:

It says Burco on my country of origin on my passport- when I was asked in India where the Country Burco is, I told them an island off England.

the topic of the thread is:

"SOMALILANDERS: THE 2011 CENSUS"

so you see why a SOmali or a half-breed would reach the following conclusion:

-The thread is divisive

-the thread has qabiil undertone

-the thread is political because it sympathizes with a secessionist administration of the "CLAN ENCLAVE' of the northwest territories of SOmalia

- no such thing as a burco being a country of origin.

-BURCO is a tuulo, therefore, if the field asks one to check the degmo/tuulo/village then yes, one should write down burco/boroma/gaalkacyo/banaadir/garoowe/kismaayo, etc

-Burco has never been a country of origin, burco will never be a country of origin and if burco was written down as country of origin, all of the somali cities, villages and somali provinces will all be partitioned and become a sovereign country of origin by your own estimations.

I normally dont agree with half-breeds and emotional nationalists but in this case, Zacky aka half breed makes total sense because he of all people understands, since he is from a country that compromises of numerous ethnicities.

So you see why this thread does not belong in the general section. Matter of fact, it doesn't belong in this forum but ofcourse, we can agree to disagree.

yours truly,

LayZieG