Sign in to follow this  
Malika

In Warlords Next Door [Dispatches]

-Lily-   

Layzie, the insurgents are not supported by the British government. Millions of pounds do not go towards aid and directly financing the salaries of the employees of the insurgents, as the UK government is funding the TFG jointly with the European Union. That is the point he was making, that our tax goes towards funding these people. The point of the programme was to make British viewers aware of this.

But I agree with you, those who plant bombs that maim and disembowel bystanders are just as bad.

Fabregas   

LazieG, it's natural that the media focuses on the side with most power. In this case the Ethiopians and TFG have the ability to withold food, imprison thousands of people and it is the Ethiopians that have inflicted the most deaths on Somali Civilians! It's the same reasons why the Newy York Times and other agencies don't focus on crimes alleged against the ONLF!

More importantly, this entity is funded by Western Government and taxpayers. Focusing on the ICU and it's allies was beyond the scope of the this documentary, which was admittedly rather biased. Also, there was an an audio documentary( from the BBC) entitled, " inside the SOmali InsurgencY", which I posted on the Politics section. I believe it might be the same presenter of this documentary. He interviews people who accuse Alshabaab of killing their relatives, etc.

AYOUB   

Nevermind the low-life stooges. The suffering and the injuries innocent people are taking is terrible.

Emperor   

I was completely disheartened and extremely saddened by the sheer hopelessness and destruction demonstrated in the program, the innocent mothers and children that were unkindly brutalized by the on going war between the arrogant unruly dowladiid and the government troops, especially those dwell in the refugee camps in the outskirts of the city of Mogadishu. Ilaahow ugargaar.

Now coming back to the aim of the dispatches program which was, as advertised a week before, to investigate, shame some individuals and expose the human right abuses of the TFG. I watched the program in its entirety and to be honest it was much lower than my expectation, when the program finished I murmured to myself, is that it, was that all he could do while claiming to have stayed there for two weeks????

Mr Aidan dedicated his time and employed his utmost ability to prove the criminality of the four men in the documentary but miserably failed, that’s my opinion of his attempt and I will tell you why.

If one pays less attention to the big words tossed by the presenter that was aimed for the British audience to create some sort of great build up and excitement such as repeating ‘I am going to track them down’ which was meant for the four men when he was leaving UK and while in Mogadishu… and the other big words of hot air. He only interviewed two supposedly victims of the Somali police and secret services, they claimed to have been arrested without charge, one of them was complaining about the number of people put in a small cell, not great deal of torture mentioned not much of death also, lets remember the arrest without charge is still an alleged crime against the two, one which reported Aidan exaggerated his role and status as the Head of the police which he was not as Qaybiid is the Head of the Police, and the other. For the laugh of me, he also interviewed the usual big suspect, a man who had been publicly against the TFG since its formation 2004, the famous clan spokesman Axmed Diiriye, as if the Somali Diaspora wouldn’t know his pre-view stance on the TFG before any interview had to take place, very predictable man paraded on our screens and to use his aired words as evidence of the TFG’s human right violations, that was comedy and purely aimed for the British as any Somali diaspora would know the secret behind it.

I am not in no way, form or shape trying to defend these alleged criminal personalities, neither interested nor do I intend to exercise my right to do that. In fact I find in me the urge to align with and defend the hopeless and those innocent young children in the Madina hospital and dieing in this current Somali chaos than the giant well off members of the TFG. However, based on the channel 4 dispatches program I saw nothing carries weight that’s displayed, the victims were random men on the street, none of the high cases that shook the Somali media in the past year or so presented. If you ask any man in Mogadishu to tell a story of when he had been a victim of the TFG would, you will find thousands who will for the heck of the Camera bearing in mind the reporter Aidan was only focusing of the crimes committed by the TFG personalities stated and would not try filter the any claim put forth as it would serve his timing agenda, yet he failed because it’s all second or third degree alleged crimes. Lets for the sake of having a better argument say these crimes were proven and those personalities are found guilty of the mentioned crimes, I think the reporter is again being naïve here for he assumes everything to be gloomy, rosy and perfect much like the developed human right law abiding Britain. He forgets the place is Africa, the worst of all Somalia, which had been in ruins and civil war for 18 years, while most of the developed African countries like Egypt, Libya, and Nigeria etc. practice such of the said alleged crimes in much higher rate than Somalia. Aidan made himself look like a fool by proudly shouting with his question posed to Darwiish ‘You detain people for 46 days, a 100 days without charge’ forgetting that on his way to the interview two of the his bodyguards died of a roadside bomb, how immensely disturbing and silly the man was, he’s imagined life in Mogadishu is like London Borough of Westminster… Guards died as a result of him going to that interview, he secured the interview pose real and hard good questions, like ‘How many of the deaths in Mogadishu is he responsible of’…

All in all, the program didn’t add anything to my ingredients, it was launched to defame and slander the TFG, and in fact it did the opposite revealing less obviously understandable crimes given the situation in Somalia. We all know the TFG had never been perfect institution, even if all the crimes mentioned were true, I hardly believe it would make it any more less perfect… detention, torture and mistreatment happens anywhere, superpower China does it…. All the demo was Full of Bullokks and utter failure

I hoped Aidan will bring more touching and tangible documentary but to may avail, absolute useless.

Emperor   

I agree with NG, the documentary wasn't any more informative than most of us had expected, much less...

Dhubad.   

^Emperor, what do you say about the TFG ministers lining up in front of the Ethiopian embassy waiting for instructions from Gabria (the Ethiopian General)?

Emperor   

^Thats is another hot air, which again was intended for the British Audience... We knew the presence of the Ethiopia and it's relation with the TFG, the man he shoutes to name Gabre is house hold name, any Somali man knows him as the man in charge of the Ethiopian troops in Mogadishu... So again it was another naive attempt to discredit the TFG but the diaspora Somalis know better than Aidan...

When he says ' I am going to the place where Somalia is ruled from', I liked his ridiculous exaggeration... Somalia kulahaa, perhaps he should know Somali is a lot bigger than what he saw in Mogadishu, foregetting about the Autonomours region of Punt and SL, there are other regions that have no one single Ethiopian soldier, like your home region Dhubad of Gedo and other places...

Again given on wheren he was coming from, he would say that, the documentary was only focusing on the TFG, not only that but to focus on it's bad side contrary to the good side, with that in mind if all he could toss is only that, I think it will reinforce the status of the TFG... All big words and hot air, no concrete presented, like I said before the program was nothing like that of my expections.

Gediid   

^^^I beg to differ.Somalis are under the occupation of Ethiopia and for you to say otherwise is just plain ludicrous.As a somali it shames me when I hear somalis defending the indefensible just because waa isku qabiil.Ethiopians meel kasta oo Somali ku nooshey maanta they are the true powers.Adeero maanta waa a pimp of his people and wax kasta oo la dhex dhiigo isaga iyo qaar la mid ah ayaa ka masuul ah.If you sincerely blv that you or your qabiil are safe from Ethiopian domination then you are as dumb as they come...

Gediid   

^^^^Nin wax garad ah baa inferiority complex fahma laakinse a man who hails prostituting his sister to the enemy and thinks he can get away with it lama murmo.

And as far as Riyaale goes he too is fatal fatal dhaley just like the ones you so fondly are a cheerleader for....

Emperor   

^I think thats going low, pointing at me and adding 'someone who prostitues his sister lama murmo' is personal...

I wouldn't insult your sister nor do I have more time waste anymore debate with you...

Malika   

The programme wasnt for the likes of you Emperor,as you said it was for the British audience and believe you it has been noted by the British citizens.

I cant believe you come here and disregard the programme as hot air and what else you blah blah about!Jeezzz

You say,somalia kulaha! indeed Somalia's so called goverment he was mocking about..Isnt the darn tfg a SOMALI transitional Goverment??????.. He showed the reality,these ministers couldnt move a muscle without being told to by the Ethiopian General..who cares about PL and SL aad sheegeysoo! If the capital,the core centre of Governance is under occupation the whole of Somalia is under occupation..

As Ibti,said they are not rented but owned..bloody owned!

[pardon my lingo folks!]

nuune   

^^^ dat is one giant tissue, r u sure it is not shukumaan smile.gif

About the programme, I would have loved Ina Xuub Caaro Sirdoon in la tago magaaladiisa Liverpool or Manchester, dat guy is suicidal and would destroy Somalia hadii madaxweyne laga dhigo

Emperor   

Thanks Nepthy and I offer you ice cream in return...

Malika I expected you to do much better, yes I agree with you, the Program like you said was aimed for the British and who noted the message coveyed... It hadn't added anymore flavour to my Sufuriya, and not most of the Somali diaspora who follow Somali politics, that means it wasn't much help to us...

As for the claim that Gabre controls the TFG, I have heard it from many politically aware Somalis and I disagreed with them, what makes me or how likely my view will change purely because of Aiden's dry words...

We have debated on SOL in the past, I am sure most of you know my views and where I stand on many Somali related issues, I know where many of you stand, I am not trying to change yours nor are you, the debate in this thread is whether the depatches program revealed any concrete and tangible evidence to change any of our pre-stance or view on where he/she stood on things before, hardly did the program achieve or capture anywhere near that...

Whether you think the TFG is owned or I believe it to be independently making decisions is not the matter here, we have debated on this matter many occasions, we will be debating in the future, the point is whether the program captured that much expected, No, perhaps I was sensationally overdoing by highly building up my excitement and expectations days before it was aired...

Utter failure, Mr Aiden should sex up his stuff next time...