Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

The RIGHT Age!

NGONGE   

^^ Things move too fast these days, dear. One has to plan and prepare for them. Do you think the five year olds of today have the same mentality of those in your day (how long ago was that again?). :D

ps

Modern people make tea using electric kettles. 'member I told ya..

Pucca   

yall are so darn backwards, wasting time with electric kettles and stoves..

Steps to make tea:

fill cup 1/2 with water and put it into the microwave for 3min

add sugar and dip a tea bag in (for a few seconds...unless you like it dark).

and Enjoy.

i'd expect my future 2yr to fetch me my tea while he/she's getting their bottle of milk. 5 is just way too late...best to start paying back those 9months fast.

Ashkiro   

Ngonge, walal, sarcasm aside okay? We all are intelligent adults here I would hope, and we all can tell a five year old is a five year old at the end of the day. I certainly don't know you and because of that, i am mature enough not to pass judgement on the affaris of those i don't know. However, i can respond to what was written and having witnessed households, in which the girls clean and cook, while their brothers sit and watch tv, or play video games doing absolutely nothing at all to assist their sisters, well to say unfair would be an understatement, it's irresponsible parenting.

Blessed   

Originally posted by Ashkiro:

@The best way is to get them mini brooms, cleaning tools as toys when they are young

Please tell me u are joking and only seeking reaction with such an outrageous statement? I sure do hope so. I certainly don't believe in habaar, lakiin if ever one was needed u would get mine right about now, to think so lowly of innocent children ya Allah. The best tools you can give children, (you mental midget), is apart from teaching them the deen and mannerism, is education, education, education. investing in the future of your kids, not the other way around. Your the parent, not them. I do wonder why somali kids are the way they are sometimes.

I don't think the brother meant that's ALL you teach children. Cooking and cleaning are essential life skills. You'll find that the teaching of these skills are actually an integral part of modern educational curriculums aimed at the holistic development of the child. He’s cleaning toy suggestion goes in line with the ‘home corner’, ‘Wendy house’ and Home Economic labs that you’ll find in most western schools.

Ngonge, ha isku wareerin, he is a special sort of case.

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

I have a five-year-old daughter who is embarrassing me in front of my family and can't even make a simple cup of tea.

I think Child Protective Services should read this statement...It'll make a great case... :D

OK, yaa NG, on a serious note, five or even seven years old is way too young to be making shaah, whether it's on the stove, coffee maker, or microwave...Hot water and children do NOT mix...Ka dheeree, gabdho guguban hadhoow lagaama aroosayo... icon_razz.gif

Children do what they see...They learn from the parent without force...Let them watch you do it, then let them help you do it, and before you know it, they'll be doing it all on their own...It is all about time and patience...Sometimes my two and half year old takes disinfecting wipes, and wipes anything and everything with it (making more mess)...If she sees me looking, she stops feeling all proud and says 'look mommie I cleaning'...

The way we were taught and brought up is very different than the way we'll raise our children today...

I think I started cooking at the age of 10 or so...Like many here, we had chores, and the maids & housekeepers always had the weekend off...We always had to get our chores done before the noon hour, so we can enjoy to go eat out and go to the beach later...

Ayeeyadey allaha u naxariistee used to say, markey na aragto anoo shaqada ka qeylineyno 'NAAYAADA DADKA MA INEY BIR KA SAMEYSAN YIHIIN BAA MOODEEN, ORDOHOO QURUNKIINA DHAQDA'...

MZanzi   

Kids are amazing little folks! When I was growing up, we HAD to help my mom in the kitchen when preparing a meal. Front and center

What on earth is wrong with people? Why shouldn't someone teach their kids how to cook at an early age? I don't want my kids dependent upon NO ONE but themselves!!!!

Ngonge inanta jikada udir gabar aan faraha kaso guban wale ineysan jirin ..

Nephissa   

Has slavery been legalised again? :eek: . Children must be given some age appropriate chores. A 5 yr old should be just that; playing with dolls and cleaning up after themselves [putting the toys away, etc etc] Thank god the girl's mother is ALIVE. I doubt there are any mothers out there who would let a child of 5 near a stove on her own!

I remember When I was about 8, I would beg eedo Habiibo [my chaariyad then] to give me some dough whenever she had to bake cookies for special occassions and Eidaha, and would always give me a little dough to roll out and play with, saying 'naa xagaaa iga fadhiiso dabkaa ha isku ridine!' Alxamdulilaah no one had expected me to do anything..! :D

Rahima   

I have to ask, are you serious NG?

A five year old?

What are your plans for the boy? How to imitate daddy?

N.O.R.F   

One wonders what the reaction would have been had this thread been posted by A&T :D

Ng, tea?? tea?? She will lose her childhood making tea if you're not careful (remember that hijab debate? :D )

NGONGE   

Neph,

You were EIGHT and you were playing with dough? My eight-year-old niece (through marriage) can make tea, cook (albeit basic meals) and look after her four-year-old sister (taking her to the toilet and stuff). I believe she would spit out an insult if I suggested she play with dough. (You didn't happen to have a maid by any chance? Everyone else did. Xan time: esh mi3na homa? howa e7na wilad el sha'3aala?) :D

I rather think some of you are out of touch and view five-year-olds as doe-eyed innocents (which they are) that only know how to play with toys. I am willing to bet that I could train her to make the hottest cup of tea in a month. Of course, we'll have to start with tepid water (the kind that Pucca likes) and move on from there. The rest is not that hard. Still, what you are all assuming here is that I am expecting her to go to the kitchen on her own and make me that cup of tea (that will not be the case, at least not for a year or two). :D

KK,

You tell me that a two and half year old child pretends to clean yet are surprised at the idea of a five-year-old making tea? The difference in age between the two is a LIFETIME. A lifetime I tell ya.

Your task for the next year or so is to teach her to dress herself. When I say dress herself I mean choosing what she'll wear and doing it without any interference or help from you (unless she asks).

Rahima,

The boy is four. Making tea will start happening late next year. First I have to stop him from daydreaming and thinking the world was put there for his own enjoyment. It's just an age thing. As for him copying daddy, I really doubt that will ever happen. Daddy used to go and get groceries from the local shop at that age. :cool:

Ps

Enjoying childhood and losing childhood are such empty cliches. A child could only lose their childhood if they suddenly started growing a beard or getting pregnant. Every other experience they have counts as PART of their childhood.

North,

I agree. :D

As Nephthys said, the only thing a five year old should be doing is putting away his/her toys. Growing up, my mum never required/taught me to cook, she let me be the tom-boy i was and i thank her for that to date.

I was probably about 14-15 when i first made somali tea and about 18 when i cooked what can be considered a proper meal i.e. baasto iyo suugo, forget about sabaayad still don't know how to make it and i'm 20+. I would say let your daughter enjoy her childhood and if she shows an interest in cooking then teach her, if on the other hand being in the kitchen is not her cup of tea, she might as well join her brother in beating you at playstation.

NGONGE   

^^ Who told you it was the brother alone that beats me at playstation? They all do (not the wife of course, she's rubbish at that game). :D