Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

The RIGHT Age!

NGONGE   

^^ How old were you when you first set foot in a kitchen? I now suspect that Cara and Ms DD started real late (probably during their student lives). You're not that forthcoming either.

Aaliyyah   

^^I started cooking on my own about the age of 10.

so wait another 5 yrs , and you can like make her watch you cook ( thats if you know how ) :D

Ms DD   

Originally posted by Ducaysane:

MDD, your maid was lucky, she used to take week-end off eeeeh. Somalia that I grow up had only friday off.

We had Khamiis afternoon as a weekend. Doncha remember?

Kaaleyba, how did you know the rick kid from Yusuf alkowneyn? The one who used to drive..not a cousin was he?

Aaliyyah   

^^ I was too young to remember but we had maids as well from what I was told. Looks like back in the days life in somalia was priceless ..imagine that if you need anything all you gota do is order some1 smile.gif

Cara.   

Ouch @ Ibti. And you can actually bear to be in the kitchen now? I burned my hand chasing a goat and now I can't stand the sight of them.

Ngonge, like Ms DD we had a burjike and my earliest memory is trying to get a fire going at the crack of dawn. But I don't remember cooking as such as a child, mostly household chores like sweeping the floor (with those small hay brooms :mad: ), washing and drying the dishes, making beds, etc. I think at 5 I was expected to fetch and carry, not to make meals. Thankfully by the time I was old enough to cook we'd moved to the land of peanut butter and jam.

Malika   

I was such a tom boy at 5,they left me to run wild until I turn 8,they started hussling me,in the evenings to help my older sister to serve cashoo..Then the duty of preparing Asaariya was appointed,but I wasnt gonna let them do that to my free spirit,I would make sure I added salt to the tea,or have an "accident" and spill the tea all over.They resigned me from that duty and I was back to running wild,until 13,one day I was asked to cook sabayaad,I remember our neighbour coming to ask if there is a fire,the smoke was chocking the neighbourhood..

But,my mother wouldnt have us,just grow like trees,we had simple but important chores to perform on the weekends.She made sure the maid and housekeeper had the weekend off,and on top of that if you dont do your chores,there was no cinema/beach outing for you! So there was alot of hating going on if one of us isnt pulling their weight..Lol

Ngonge,you can set a chore chart for them even the little boy...Every one has to have a specific chore,be it to tidy their rooms/living room to making breakfast on weekends etc etc..Dont put too much pressure on the girl,let her feel proud of little tasks she is already undertaking..Praise even if the job done isnt to your satisfaction,they will perfect it with time.

My daughter is an absolute brilliant cleaner,but that means she will use any clothe to wipe the floor,clean the cubboards,I just bite my lips and let her get on..When she cleans the living room,there will be some stuff,thrown behind the sofa's..lol,but I turn a blind eye as long as she has done the chore..lol

I think 5 is too young to make tea or cook, NG.

I learned by watching mumsy cook, but I didn't try to cook until I was about 13. Then I gave it up at 19.

NGONGE   

I am not expecting a five year old to cook, Val. But tea is easy. I am not going to wait until she's 13 before I get my first cup of tea from her. I'd rather put her up for adoption, dammit.

Aaliyyah   

NG ...she shouldnt go close to the stove let alone cook anything..tea or otherwise. Now leave the lil girl alone, and cook ur darn tea smile.gif

N.O.R.F   

Waar ka yari kubada si fiican ma u laadi karaa? If not, adeerkii u gee every Sat for some coaching lessons. After his malcaamad of course :D

NGONGE   

^^ Stove? Are you sure you've been near a kitchen in your life? Who makes tea in a stove other than darn Africans?