Sign in to follow this  
nemo

Teach me Somali please

nemo   

Assalamu Calaykum macalim (thanks for the correction) ;)

Yes indeed I will try this one and not the rest of the other one. Even though now am curious what it said.

Aniga magacayga waxaa layidhaahdaa Red Sea, waxaan ku dhashay magaalada Hargeysa xille aan idiin sheegi doonin. Magaalada Hargeysi waa magaalo wayn oo qurux badan. Markasta oo aan yidhaahdo magaceeda, waxaan xasuustaa quruxdii Hargeysa. Wadoonyinkeeda waaweyn, ubaxayadeeda ku yaala wadoonyinka, bridgkii waynaa ee dhex marayey magaalada dhexdeeda, iyo Masjid Al Jamicii weynaa ee caasimada Hargeysa

Translation:

"My name is Red Sea, I was born in the city Hargeysa a time i'm not going to tell. The city of Hargeysa is a city that is big and beautiful. Every time I say the name, I remember the beauty of Hargeysa. Her big roads, the flower on the road, the big bridge that went through the middle of the city, and the big Masjid Al Jamicii the leader of Hargeysa".

I think caasimada means leader or capital city :confused: And I think Wadoonyinkeeda means her roads.

Sorry about the slow reply but my other studies I was busy with. Deentayda iyo uni-kayda waa farabanin. :D

And where is the rest of the class? :eek:

Assalamu Calaykum

RedSea   

Originally posted by nameless_chick:

I think caasimada means leader or capital city And I think Wadoonyinkeeda means her roads.

Sorry about the slow reply but my other studies I was busy with. Deentayda iyo
uni-kayda
??? waa farabanin.

ASSALAMU CALAYKUM,

May I ask you what you meant by the one I highlighted?

Caasimada=capital city ( you got it right).

leader=hogaamiye

wadoonyinka=roads ( you right).

please always note, you can reply anytime you have some time to spare. I will check back if you replied, so you don't have to respond instantly right away.

So let me try to see if I understand correctly of what you wrote in Somali ms.Chick.

I percieved your comments as something like these.

Danahayga kale iyo cunigayga ayaa waqti badan iga qaata.

meaning, my other affairs took up my time, is that what you meant?

Lastly, remember as I told you before, you were the only one with that ambition to acquire

knowledge. I always had that in the back of my mind, and I knew also that most of the student pretenders were going to drop the class after few days,so Ignore them and keep striving forward. Hopefully, I will get some books containing Somali short stories that can help you even more, and I mean it seriously, so keep it up sis.

assalamu Calaykum.

Badda Gaduudan, widaayoow, maxaa wax bartaa adigii ayaaba ereyo dool eh wali daba socdo. Caasimad. Bridge.

Adigoo ereyo dool ah isticmaaleysid, ma u maleynaayi inay suurto gasho in af Soomaali la wada barto.

Caasimad waa erey Carabi. Bridge waaba iska cad yahay.

Marka Jaalle, adigoo raali ah, aan is wada saxno dhamaanteen:

Caasimad = Magaalo madax

Bridge = Buundo

Jilci ereyada kalena. Lahjada qaaska kuu ah aad kusoo kortay kistoo yareey, maxaa yeelay meeshaan Soomaali barad baa joogo, uu kusii wareeraayo lahjado isdaba yaacaayo hadee arkaan.

nemo   

I percieved your comments as something like these.

Danahayga kale iyo cunigayga ayaa waqti badan iga qaata.

meaning, my other affairs took up my time, is that what you meant?

Assalamu Calaykum

Yes thats what I meant to say but cunigayga what does that mean? I tried to read it and came up with, it means baby.......is that what it means?

And uni-kayda was meant to mean my uni was trying to add somali with english :D

And last but not least brother Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar I have no idea what you wrote I tried to read it but don't have that much time to try and read all, will take me like an hour to read :mad:

RedSea   

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:Badda Gaduudan, widaayoow, maxaa wax bartaa adigii ayaaba ereyo dool eh wali daba socdo.
Caasimad
Bridge

Assalamu Calaykum,

First of all sxb, call me Badda Cas, not "Bada Guduudan".

The words that I used came from an English and Arabic. I am aware the word "Caasimada" came from the Arabic language, but did you not know that most of the Somali nouns are composed from Arabic language or English. The phrase Caasimad is all too common and we all know what it means and that is the one I use and used in my home region. I rarely use the word magaalo madax. So I am only teaching of what I know, you are also welcome to teach of what you know.

Adigoo ereyo dool ah isticmaaleysid, ma u maleynaayi inay suurto gasho in af Soomaali la wada barto.

Caasimad waa erey Carabi. Bridge waaba iska cad yahay.

Lol, sxb. Aqiyaar or should I say Akhyaarka, the word Buundo is a southern dialect sxb. I never use Bundo in my Somali vocab, therefore are you suggesting I teach something I don't use daily? By the way who said Bundo is a Somali word anyway? it could well be Italian as bridge is an English word.

Marka Jaalle, adigoo raali ah, aan is wada saxno dhamaanteen.

Yes I welcome your correction only if they are valid and so far I can see one; Caasimad=magaalo madax, but Bundo, I don't know what that is, it sounds an Italian to me.

Jaale, itself is a made up phrase. It had never prexisted before the Barre regime, so I could also challenge the purity of the word Jaale meaning Sir. I could say it was brought about by Barre, therefore it could also been an Italian word. Use the word Mudane=sir rather. ;)

[quote Caasimad = Magaalo madax

Bridge = Buundo :confused:

Once again, I could give you credit of Caasimad=magaalo madax, but most often I use caasimad, therefore you can count caasimad as a Somali word. May I ask you where did the last part of you name came from, hmm mr. Macruuf?

Jilci ereyada kalena. Lahjada qaaska kuu ah aad kusoo kortay kistoo yareey, maxaa yeelay meeshaan Soomaali barad baa joogo, uu kusii wareeraayo lahjado isdaba yaacaayo hadee arkaan.

Adiga laftaadu noo fududee afka sxb. Waan ku yar wareeree bahalka.Inaan dhaarto marabo laakin, I have slight understanding of you just crippled above. What is that suppose to be Somali? what city is that dialect spoken sir? I mean I can summarize of what you meant by the above statement, but honestly speaking it isn't the type Somali literature you would want to be in your books or public forum for that matter, exception would be a tranlated Indian movie though, it would sound nice in a movie, Indian movie that is.

Waad mahadsantay Mudane Miskiin Caan iyo kii laxushmeeyowba. ;)

To Ms. Nameless chick, I thought you said you had a baby boy there, my apologies sis. I still don't get what you meant by UNI? mind explaining to me what that is?

Mahadsanid.

Assalamu Calaykum.

RedSea   

And last but not least brother Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar I have no idea what you wrote I tried to read it but don't have that much time to try and read all, will take me like an hour to read :mad:

OUUUUUCh Mr. Akhyaar and you were trying to correct me. Now you get why I am chosen to be the teacher of the class?

nabaday.

nemo   

To Ms. Nameless chick, I thought you said you had a baby boy there, my apologies sis. I still don't get what you meant by UNI? mind explaining to me what that is?

Assalamu Calaykum macalim I meant that my other affairs took my time like religion and uni in other words school. Thats all was trying to put a english and somali word together which in this case did not work at all :(

Originally posted by The Red Sea:

quote: Originally posted by nameless_chick:

OUUUUUCh Mr. Akhyaar and you were trying to correct me. Now you get why I am chosen to be the teacher of the class?

nabaday.
Indeed you were chosen because you were the first teacher who applied for the position :D ......also you write something that is readable.

How come you and Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar are talking about two different somali language. Is there two different somali language that I am not aware of? :eek: If thats the case it is going to make things much harder :mad:

RedSea   

How come you and Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar are talking about two different somali language. Is there two different somali language that I am not aware of? :eek: If thats the case it is going to make things much harder :mad

Assalamu Calaykum,

There is no worries there sis. The issue is not really two different languages but rather different dialects depending on what region in Somali inhabited areas you are coming from. Anyways, you will inherit mind, because I am your teacher you know. ;)

Ok so let me tell you my lesson plan today. Could you write an essay or paragraph consisting of few lines that describes YOU. I mean you don't have to expose your private profile, but just few lines that describes you of what you like, example: your favorite color, your favor car, describe Australia and the Somalis living there etc. So you can get little practice of your Somali writing ability.

Assalamu Calaykum.

nemo   

Assalamu Calaykum

Desrcibe myself in somali? Thats another thing macalim I can't but well try. Well here goes.

Aniga magaceega waxaa ladhaha nameless chick.

Waxaa daganahay magalada ladhaho Australia, waana magalo fiicin oo ladagakiro. Somali badan aa laydahay oo add o farbadin.

That is how much somali I can write. Have a question how can you tell the difference X and H in somali, they sound the same to me. And I have another problem writing somali, I can't tell if a word is one or two. Specially with the long vowels in somali. I would tell you my favourite colour but I don't know the name of all the somali colours. :(

Assalamu Calaykum

Nameless, that wasn't bad. Though the macalinka is away at this time, as a kaaba galaas let me fill for him.

Aniga magaceega waxaa ladhaha nameless chick.

Waxaa daganahay magalada ladhaho Australia, waana magalo fiicin oo ladagakiro. Somali badan aa laydahay oo add o farbadin.

Not bad. Little mistakes only, which is not that much. One such minor mistake is 'magaalo.' Australia isn't magaalo, but dal. Magaalo means city; dal, on the other hand, is country. [You can also say wadan, a borrowed Carabi word.]

About your confusion regarding the letters x and h.

The letter h in English and the letter h in Soomaali are both pronounced the same.

X, however, is completely different from the letter x in English. English language doesn't have a corresponding or an equivalent letter for it.

Read the following words aloud.

Xalwo? [Yeah, that sweet thing occasionally eaten at festivals or other occasions.]

How about Xamar, the capital city of Soomaaliya?

How about hadal [speak]? Hada [now]?

Do you see the differences?

And the basic Soomaali colours are:

• Cagaar [green]
  • Gaduud or as the macalinkiisa would like you to say 'cas' [red]
  • Baluug [blue]
  • Jaallo [yellow]
  • Madoow [black]
  • Caddaan [white]

nemo   

Assalamu Calyakum brother Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

or should I say macalim replacement (dont know how to say replacement in somali so this will do) smile.gif

I did read out loud and indeed I can see the difference but when I write in somali the letters are the same to me. Don't know which ones are in the word. I will inshallah write down the colours in my somali book when I go home later. But "cas" I think that was another word for white not red. :confused:

Ibtisam   

^^^are you learning anything. Been a week since this so called "lessons" started, show me what you learnt dear :D