Sign in to follow this  
nemo

Teach me Somali please

nemo   

Salam everyone, I am new and only joined SOL to increase my Somali...As I can speak the language but I cant read that well and write it. I also have a hard time expressing my self in somali so I just mostly speak english..home and at uni.

I dont know any somali classes that are available in Australia but I thought here would be a great way to learn one or two things since most people are somalis. I would like for those that are good at the language to share their wisdom with me :D

Like important words and phrases...I have did my homework in the holidays and learnt the Alphabets.

B T J X KH D R S SH DH C G F Q K L M N W H Y

I also learnt the names of the weeks in somali but spelling it may be difficult but here goes...

Monday= Isniin

Tuesday= Talaado

Wednesday= Arabaco

Thursday= Khamiis

Friday= Jimco

Saturday= Sabti

Sunday= Axad

cheers and thanks for you're generosity

Ibtisam   

Like important words and phrases...I have did my homework in the holidays and learnt the Alphabets.

B T J X KH D R S SH DH C G F Q K L M N W H Y

I also learnt the names of the weeks in somali but spelling it may be difficult but here goes...

Monday= Isniin

Tuesday= Talaado

Wednesday= Arabaco

Thursday= Khamiis

Friday= Jimco

Saturday= Sabti

Sunday= Axad

loooooooooooooooooooooooool oh lord, plz help. i'm sure you made the Alphabets up! lool :D

i will be learining with you. :D loool

here is a new word for you. "maa fiiantah" it means are you good/ okay.

Salaan...

Aad iyo aad ayaan ugu faraxsanahay, walaashiis Nameless. Your dadaal waa wax lagu farxo.

Remember, one's identity is very, very crucial to survive in this world. Only those who lack confidence in their own may laugh at their dhaqan, but you're one of a few.

Baliis, keep and try hard learning. Never shy away. We all have learned, not born with.

What you've listed, though, are consonants; vowels, which are separate from consonants in Soomaali, are A E I O U -- that is 'short' vowels; long ones being AA EE II OO UU.

Also in your consonant, the last letters are H W Y, not W H Y.

Again, keep endeavouring to learn your heritage, language being primarily.

And ask us any question you have. Don't shy away.

And kusoo dhawoow meeshaan.

nemo   

Ibtisam, LooL no I dont think I made it up but was scared that if I missed any letter...."maa fiicantah" im not that bad, I know what it means already (but still thanks..its the thought that counts right) ;)

Miskiin-Macruuf...I think I got what you wrote in somali after a long and hard read but here I will try to translate it in english

Aad iyo aad ayaan ugu faraxsanahay, walaashiis Nameless. Your dadaal waa wax lagu farxo.

"I am much and much happy for you..sister nameless. You're effect is something to be happy about"-----direct translation isnt possible because the meaning changes but thats as close as I can get...how did I do (hopeing for an A) :D

Khalaf   

loool nameles :D , great topic :D . walaalshiis i am like u (thou little better :D ) i can speak somali, read it a little but not good at writing it.

I was never interested but for some reason now that I am older I got interested in my language. Best way to learn is just read articles, we alreadly know the language so sound it out. SOL here uses english as the main language of communication(shows alot doesn't it), go to Dood Wadaag section and try to read. Salaam.

nemo   

Khalaf, yes once you get elder you do apreciate you're language and tradition more...

And thanks for the advice I will go to it after this post, even though have no idea what the title means "Dood Wadaag"...always avioded this section because of the name :D

once again thanks and cheers

Khalaf   

^^^^IB :D

nameless now we have to be careful walaalshiis everyone knows we suck at somali :D , so don't trust what they say they will try to mislead us instead. besides IB aint no better so don't listen to her especially. peace

Ibtisam   

^^it does me that. honest. nameless seriously he is just pulling your leg. it means the section for old people. smile.gif who said i know no better? busted!! redface.gif

nemo   

Khalaf....the section you recommended " Dood Wadaag" that was full on somali...read two sentence and then went to another topic and run away.... :eek: its too realier for me to actually read a whole topic in somali...I need step by step.

Can you actaully read a whole topic in there and if you can then you are the wise ones

nemo   

what khalaf you actually took me to an old people section :( now shaking my head at you brother...am still young in my teen years

IB sis thanks and I take my comments on khalaf back

Khalaf   

hey sisters, what? is there a better way to learn then to learn from "old people". And cuz u read and write somali means u old? We are trying to justify our failures here, there is no reason we shouldn't know our language-I have realized that now and am learning, u should too nameless. Cut the teen crap (says that with love :D ), don't let that go to ur head to justify why u don't know ur language. There is asians been born here they can read/write their language. We failed-now lots correct that. Peace

nemo   

And cuz u read and write somali means u old?

Of course not I want to learn and when inshallah do learn within a year I want to learn....that wont make me old but just one year older though :D Just wanted to know what the meaning of the section means and as IB said it means old people....brother you have indeed took me to old people's tertiary---still shaking my head

Cut the teen crap (says that with love )

And what is that supose to mean??? :confused:

RedSea   

ASSALAMU CALAYKUM,

Ibtism, the alphabet she mentioned are not made up; well they are made up offcourse, but by Siyad barre during the 1970s literacy campaign in somalia. The alphabets she has mentioned are in line with the Somali alphabeticals thatI know of.

Now, nameless chick and Ibtism get a pen or pencil and a book and get ready to learn the Somali written version of the language. It's actually very easy to learn if you are up to the task. It took me few months or weeks to actually be able to aquire the words and once you do that the rest is pretty much straight forward, in other words you can teach yourself once you have the begining of the rope.

Nameless chick and Ibti, before I can get down to trying to teach you, I should first go through the class rules and books that ar required by me in order to succeed in this class. First you need a Somali-dictationary translated by Farah (not un actual author) from Northern Somali regions. :D Secondly, you need to get ready to learn Somali my way, because so far you have been taught other way. The alphabets don't vary in any region inhabited by Somalis but the way we pronouce the weekdays you mentioned are little different than the way you have been taught so far.

To mention the class rules, you need to stay away from the political section of this site and joke section. They will effect your memory in negative way.

This the way I say of the days in the Week and you choose which way is easier for you.

Isniin=Monday

salaasa=Tuesday

Arbaca=Wendsday

Khamiins=Thursday

Jimce=Friday. :cool:

Secondly, you know the alphabets so let us start with the words.

say - A E I O U

then doubles Aa Ee Ii Oo Uu

Ba bi bo bu

Baa bee bii boo buu

let us say that you want to spell a car in somali. You would take the B mentioned above, then two aa that make the shaqal (phrase) longer to make baa then another b and two uu's and r, to make baabuur( car).

ta te ti to tu

let us spell taar. take the T and two aa's and r=taar.

taa tee tii too tuu.

and so on.

Once you have mastered that then you are ready to move on to the next level. After you can show off your newly acquired somali to others that don't know it. ;)

assalamu calaykum.

RedSea   

assalamu Calaykum,

Wait a minute, hey Mr. MMA, you have already given that lesson? My fault,I didn't refer to your earlier post. I gues no harm done, just take it as my Northern version of the language Ms. Nameless Chick, and why art thou without a name? ;

Mr. MMA one other note, the girl said she can't read Somali, so could you repeat or tranlate your first few lines that you wrote in Somali into Enlglish so she can better understand you words of encouragment. ;)

Thanks.

assalamu Calaykum.