Sign in to follow this  
nemo

Teach me Somali please

nemo   

Assalamu Calaykum

IB abaayo angiga waxaa bartay hoqaa afka somliga sida looqoro. Adiga meeshee aaday weekaan, maxaa kugu dhacay? :D I think thats how to write it.

Translation: IB sis I have learnt a little the way to wite somali. Where have you been this week, what happened?

Check it out, nameless is learning ;)

Salam sis bedtime

RedSea   

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

And the basic Soomaali colours are:

• Cagaar [green]
  • Gaduud or as the macalinkiisa would like you to say 'cas' [red]
Baluug [blue]
Jaallo [yellow]
Madoow [black]
Caddaan [white]

lol, look at my subtitute teacher steping it up, nice going sxb. Akhyaar. However, I do also have some additions to your list of the names of the colors in Somali. Here are mine, mostly the same though.

Caddaan=white

Madow=black

cagaar/doogo=green

bluug=blue

cassaan/guduud=red. :D that is why it's better to say Badda Cas rather than Bada guduudan, or is it just me here?

soosali=purple

basali=pink.

mayay=gray

daruuri=cloudy

Huruud=yellow (Jaale is bit Taliyanish eh) ;)

Lastly, miss nameless, some Somalis say Casaan=white, but it's not correct way to say.

Assalamu Calaykum.

RedSea   

Originally posted by nameless_chick:

Assalamu Calaykum

IB abaayo angiga waxaa bartay hoqaa afka somliga sida looqoro. Adiga meeshee aaday weekaan, maxaa kugu dhacay?
:D
I think thats how to write it.

Assalamu Calaykum,

Masha Allah, kadaa ms. Namless ahayd halkaa ha udhaafin, that is enough for her for the day, she can't handle much more than that. One more thing have little confidence in yourself, don't say "I think that is how to write it", because you got it girl. :cool:

IB, you wanted to know how much she has acquired since you been away, well there is your answer, and I have no doubt that you wouldn't be able to tranlate or understand what she said there unless she has tranlated to you in English.

Ms. Nameless, I understood perfectly of what you said there, keep it up, you got an A+ for that response. smile.gif

Assalamu Calaykum.

Janna   

Two teachers from two different regions. No wonder why the Nameless is struggling to learn the Somali language.

The two teachers (Rea Sea and Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar) have confused young Nameless by teaching her two different dialogues. Not saying Nameless has a memory of a two year old but it's important not to over work her. Give her time to encode and store the new information. She is having difficulties clearly because the old information has overridden the new information. Perhaps one teacher is enough. Rea Sea should be ruled out. :D

Salaan...

I am not a teacher, aniga. I am kaaba galaas. Only in the absence of a macalin would I be needed.

Sarqa, join the fasalka adigaba.

Nameless, dadaalkaaga wad [keep striving].

Next cashar [lesson] you need is the difference between 'shaqal gaab' and 'shaqal dheer.' Short and long vowels.

For example, bar [a place; a birthmark; teach] and baar [a merciful, kind, obedient person; a tree's name]. Or gal [enter] or gaal [unbeliever].

Or bur [flour] and buur [mountain; hill].

Or bog [page; side] and boog [an infected minor place on the body; swell]

Jamilah   

^Miskiin thanks for the clarifications...maybe a bit too early to say but I feel I have mastered the Somali language by reading this thread. But dont dismiss the class yet keep them coming (even though you are not officially the teacher).

nemo   

Assalamu Calyakum

cajiib maxaa kudhacay macalim bada cas (majacalid bada guduud) ;)

Yaa arkay maal mahaan macalimka dhan oo class kaan ka ah? Maficin yahay ama waxbaa ku dhacay?

Class kaan waxaay rabaan macalim kajiro oo wax baaro class kaan. Sidee ahay afka somali sidaan ucqoraay? :D If you can't understand me too bad. ;)

RedSea   

Originally posted by nameless_chick:

Assalamu Calyakum

cajiib maxaa kudhacay macalim bada cas (majacalid bada guduud)
;)

Yaa arkay maal mahaan macalimka dhan oo class kaan ka ah? Maficin yahay ama waxbaa ku dhacay?

Class kaan waxaay rabaan macalim kajiro oo wax baaro class kaan. Sidee ahay afka somali sidaan ucqoraay?
If you can't understand me too bad.
;)

assalamu Calaykum,

I am here Ms. Nameless chick, I was just waiting for you to respond, because I didn't want to replay what this thread went through previously, apparently some people just want to chat when this is a class room with legitamate teacher (me), a sub. teacher (Miskiin Macruuf) and a student(Nameless chick). If there are other students who want to register this class, they need to do so in the front office.

Anyways Miss chick. You did well on that writing and I did understand what you meant in 100%. However there were few mistakes, so let me rewrite what you wrote.

Here it goes----

Cajiib maxaa kudhacay macalim Bada Cas? Mise Bada Guduudan, majeclid miyaa in lagugu yeedho (waco) bada Guduudan?

Yaa arkay maalmahan macalimkii dhamaa ee fasalkan, mafiican yey mise wax ayaa ku dhacay?

Fasalkani wuxuu rabaa macalim wax kadhiga. Sidee buu yey Af Somaliga sidaan u qorayaa?

Well I think you think you did good job, and ignore those who say Nameless can't learn who to write Somali. Well the writing you just displayed there sticks to them. ;)

nemo   

Assalamu Calaykum macalim bada cas

Its good to know that you are still alive and hicking. And asxanto for the corrections. Hada aniga bookayka somalika baa ku qorayaa the rewrite ones. Now I am suprising myself I mean I just learnt the word "cajiib" so was good for me to use it in a sentence so I don't forget. Indeed practice does make better.

"Yeedho" that means waco, can't even prounce the word so will stick to waco even though I hardly use it, "call" was the word before for me. :D

Assalamu Calaykum

Khalaf   

Brothers, um about to try my somali no jokes aight? U took it easy on miss namesless(good job sis I c your not only learning but maturing, Red taught u well :D ), I deserve same cause um about to kill this :D .

Here we go, introduce myself:

Salaam Walaalyal

Aniga magacayga waa Abdulnur, waxaan ku dhashay magaalada der salaam wadanka Tanzania sanadka 1987. Wadanka Tanzania man xasusto, since waxa aan ku koray wadanka Mercanka. Halkaan baan ku nolaa hay since 1992 with family, alhamdu waa wadan fican and nolosha wa iska barkansanthay. Daad kayga qaar wa hay ku nol ya hiin Europe qaarna wadamada galbetka (heard it on BBC :D ), but bathana daad kayga (majority) wa hay daganayahiin magaalada Gal kayo Puntland, waligay maan arkin Somali, Inshallah waxan rajaynayaa in aan so arka wadanka ga after aan qalan jabiyayo jamacada, hada waxaan ku jiira sanadka wahid, only hal biil ba ii hartey inshallah.

I sounded it out no jokes :D . To say I, only word is aniga? Those part in english don't know the somali.

How do u say these: I like or I love, my favorite..., my forefathers.

That was hard, I will never make fun of mexicans that can't read or write english :D . peace

nemo   

Assamu Calaykum

Brother Khalaf that was great I actually learnt some new words or words that I don't use in my somali vocabulary often. I think that's my next target to try to increase my somali vocabulary. Man where would I start on that one? :confused:

These words I was impressed with:

Nolaa, nolosha, barkansantay, wadamada, bathana, rajaynayaa, qalan jabiyayo, jamacada.

Keep up the good work now will let the teachers to grade you. :D

Khalaf   

^^^^w/salaam sis. Do u know what they mean is more important. and don't quote me yet :D .

i am learning, reading somali articles man its hard, after few sentences u get pissed off and quit, feel like a retard :D . But inshallah I will master it, its a goal and important keep up sis practice makes perfect-true indeed. salaamu lah

nemo   

Originally posted by Khalaf:

^^^^w/salaam sis. Do u know what they mean is more important. and don't quote me yet

I have no idea what you meant by the bolded words and am just going to ignore it. But other than that good on you for trying and inshallah you will one point master it. And thats my goal aswell which I see a lot of improvement with my reading. But where do you get somali articles? The somali radio BBC (mummy listens to it while on the computer). :D

Salaan...

Namaless, this aptly url-ed site may help you about the correct pronunciation of Soomaali alphabet, particularly where you had some confusions, including the difference between X and H letters in Soomaali.

The site correctly pronounces by clicking each letter, both vowel and consonant.