Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

ADVERTISEMENT: Ali and Awrala: A powerful Somali movie!

Gabbal   

The film Ali and Awrala, is about a love story involving two Somali youngsters who hail from contradicting social backgrounds .Ali (the main actor of the film) is a penniless youth from a poverty stricken home that strives hard to keep body and soul together, whereas, Awrala the girl Ali loves is thoroughbred lass who hails from a well-heeled household in which prosperity beggared description.

Her father, a wealthy man called Hajji Raage appears to be a proud braggart who holds no brief for the people who belong to the lower class of the society. Besides, he is a bigoted “clannish” full of superannuated prejudice and foggy ideas about clans and tribes.As a parent, he appears rigid and authoritative, the kind that struggles to control and influence the feeling of all members of his household. He is supercilious, insensitive, extremely unyielding.

The story reaches the climax with things going haywire. This is when Hajji Raage learns his daughter’s love affair. He simply blow his stacks when he learns the social status of the man his daughter loves. He literally goes through the roof when he at length discovers the young man’s clan. WHY? He discovers that the man his daughter loves belonged to a derided clan called midgaan, disallowed socially to marry from his supposedly superior clan.

For the proud Hajji Raage, that could simply not happen! How? . A midgaan, of all people? His daughter loved midgaan? Impossible! To correct the situation, he strives hard to thwart his daughters love ambition. He embarks on the ventures. He is not in short of helpers however, his sons, his nephews, his kinsmen: all are ready to help him right the wrong to make Awrala’s aim impossible.

On the other hand Awrala maintains Her ground. She persists and demonstrates a rare audacity in going against the grain: in going against what was socially considered to be an obligatory filial duty; to obey parents. Yes! She loves her father. But she is under no obligation to love for him. She wants Ali. She loves Ali. She adores him and she must get him!

Ali on his party does great things. With great guts he opposes the poverty-instilled timidity. He shows a strange resilience in pursuit of his loved one. And does the seemingly impossible- risking in the process – to gain and maintain his goal of life- the love of Awrala.

But Hajji Raage, on the other hand, is not a man easily shooed .He uses every thing at his disposal to thwart what he considered impossibility .His precious daughter love for destitute midgaan! Of all people a midgaan? Impossible! For him love does not count, it does not exist. The feelings of a confused daughter are not important.

The dignity o his family is paramount and must be guarded at all cost. Even if, it hurts the feelings of his beloved daughter. With a haughty contempt for what he considered absurd relationship, he attempt to marry off his daughter to a worthy suitor-one of his well-born nephews, a cousin of hers and a playboy with fat pocket.

Can love be bought? Will the proud father and his bigoted henchmen succeed in their scheme? Will Awrala at length succumb to their wishes or she will strut, ignoring their bleating to achieve her goal? Will she burry her love Ali and obey her father? Between the poor on sufferance boy and the rich playboy, whom will she choose? See it for your-self.

Synopsis

Jacpher   

I wonder if this one is any different than the fourth-grade-home-video-projects they usually call movies.

Is our good xiinfaniin behind this film?

Gabbal   

Azmaya don't thank me. Show your support to the cause by seeing the movie! :D

Jimcaale, I am starting to think you are on of our Somali ethnicity members who never smile, give it try sxb it really doesn't hurt. smile.gif

XiinFaniin Media does not mean XiinFaniin the SOL member has anything to do with it. icon_razz.gif

Jacpher   

lol@nacnaciina.

Thanks for the trailer Horn. I like the story and I think it's one of those areas that our culture needs some reform.

I've seen few Somali films but I think I liked one or two and I don't think I'm alone. I don’t have a high expectation but no one wishes to spend time and money on something like Qabyo and turns out you are watching an eight grader gradation party for an hour or so than a real film.

I would love to see some real Somali comedy, the likes of Odey Cabdulle, Aw-koombe, Aw-kuuku, & Maji Xaji Banadir, not obnoxious wannabeas. You’d be better off renting Somali old riwaayado. Forgive me brother, I was not familiar with Xiin Faniin Media Group.

Som@li   

Looking forwarad to seein it,thanks for the trailer.

Recent somali movies were all laking somehting, for instance, Qabyo, the story was very good while the setting was horrible, They tried to leave the old style but havent not succeeded using the latest technology..the quality of the pics were not good either. I say, Waa dawacadii Orodkeedii ka tagtay, kii fardahana gaari waydey..

Som@li   

Ali iyo Awralla (A narrow-minded Movie that Broke the Record)

Ali Said

I recently visited a Somali site(GedoNet) and thus encountered this new graphically designed Ad on its top page. It first attracted my attention as I can subscribe to the story. Not long ago, I had delved into the historical love affairs between Ali and Awralla (Cali iyo Cawralla) and the literal work devoted to it substantially by the famous, internationally acclaimed author, Faarax M.J Cawl . I have to say I was offended when its copyright was violated. What is even worse than the copyright is the distortion of the story and changing its whole context in political format that suits the unstated intention of the author . I don't know who the director/author of the movie is and it seems from the special site set up for the movie, a director who is well familiar with the background of the story. Its book, Aqoondarro waa u nacab jacayl or later translated in 1978 by the English anthropologist Andrzejewski "Ignorance is the enemy of love" now available on world wide web $ libraries, contains a vivid description of Somalia's scenery in Sanaag region where the story had taken place. In similar fashion, the said director adopted a similar style by coining a different title while keeping Ali and Awralla as the main characters.

To my surprise, the template of the two stories is the same, horse keeping usually known for Rer Sanaag as a noble tradition, the coast where the hero and heroine's love affair was set, everything is the same except the omission of Ali's Dervish implication. Therefore, the movie portrays Ali as a Midgaan, shunned by the girl's family. The movie, scheduled to come out for who knows what audience, opens with an introductory statement: Ali and Awralla--based on true story.

....>> Ali iyo Awralla (A narrow-minded Movie that Broke the Record)

Gabbal   

^I read the article and you should have added this part;

Now I can understand if the story was meant to come from different perspective but why steal the sacred names: Cali iyo Cawralla

So that is the dude's fuss? The names? Somalis can be such cads sometimes! Cali iyo Cawralla yee meel ugu xaraysan yihiin? :D

Simply said the man is itching for an argument where there is none. Picking a bone because of few generic names is really over the top. Lighten up waryaa! Go see the movie and put a smile on your face knowing the publicity the precious names of your Andrejewski are garnering ! :D

Som@li   

^^audiences will be the judge,after this flim is out,if this is a mere coincident or copy cat, in the mean time hold your breath ;) .

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Dabshid:

^^audiences will be the judge,after this flim is out,if this is a mere coincident or copy cat, in the mean time hold your breath
;)

For the last time, no copyright laws were broken. :rolleyes:

Dibka dhaaf. icon_razz.gif

RedSea   

Yeah yeah,sheeko Hindi lamatalay,nothing original.I can almost tell you how it will begin,the Climax,and the end without even having read the script(if it has any).

Anyways,at least they managed some movie,I hope the camera doesn't appear like home vidoe.

Soomali waxba isuma ogola!

Stealing the sacred names of “Cali iyo Cawralla” ku lahaa! What an ignorant lout! Next time he will say Qalaafe & wardheer is sacred names. Will he be offeneded again? calool jilicsanaa :D what a poor judgement. He simply failed to comprehend the message of this film and thus this author dispalyed not only his narrow-maindedness but he had also proved that he has no comprehension of the facts and the reality based on this movie. Only the names ayuu la qaylyayaa. Innocent until proven guilty sxb, go and watch the movie sxb, and soon afterwards write about it. However, from what I see the story of this movie and that of the book, originally title in somali “Aqoon Darro Waa u Nacab Jacayl” in English “Ignorance is the enemy of love” they are really two different stories and with different backgrounds, one is solely love-based story where as this new one is also about love story and at the same time sending a powerful message across the both ends of the somali social spectrum. .

Degdega ma roona, adeer back up the growing new somali talented film makers or spare your blushes! Dabshidow iga gaarsii intaa sxb :D

NASSIR   

It seems from Ali Said's point of view that the movie borrowed without credit from the book of real Cawrala and Cali Maax itself. But who thinks of copyright at this time when extreme measures are justified at the expense of no basic reinforcements.

I read the book myself and to be honest, they have lots of similarities judging from the clip. Who will start the next one of Cilmi and Hodan--while indicating of its veracity.

Abwaan   

I met the director the other night and saw clips that was prepared for advert. I think these guys need our support, please let us not be negative and jeolous of our fellow citizens.

And my view is not based on meeting the guy, it is just as Somali who is proud of any Somali who does something good for our community.

Let us just get rest from Fadhi-ku-dirir siyaasad oo ku salaysan qabyaalad and show our support like horn and others said b4 me.