Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

ADVERTISEMENT: Ali and Awrala: A powerful Somali movie!

Paragon   

I thought, as the trailer indicates, the movie wasn't that bad. It was made in similar fashion to all other attepmts of Somali film makers-not a class act, but in relation to Somali audiences, quite OK.

However, what killed me is the director's choice of title. Bloody hell. For God's sake if you can't re-tell a beautiful story like 'Cali iyo Cawrala' in the way it deserves to be told, do not even attempt to compare it to a shabby story manufactored in Mombasa. I believe the only move that can do justice and materialise 'Cali iyo Cawrala' is a professionally made movie. As it is the case with all attempts at moving making, this director's attempts still remains constant 'shouts', 'bangs' and 'walks in the beach'. No decent dialogues and no good story line.

I am sorry to be this harsh, but the director should have called the thing 'ciyaalka xaafada or even the horribly sounding band, 'Waayaha Cusub'. His movie would be at home with such titles and not in a million years 'Cali iyo Cawrala'.

[edit]I forgot to add, when I saw the girl lying on the bed and writing things, I actually thought I was seeing Wacha Jokes video which was popular in Nairobi Hip hip scene. :D Authenticity, people!

LoL...ouch.

Just viewed the trailer. It looks pretty funny, especially when the dad takes his belt to the daughter.

I haven't read cali and cawrala, so I can't comment on that part.

Paragon   

^^Lol. Well that part with the belt and the quickened step is funny. Disappointed because when I say the title, I thought, hell yeah, about time good movies are made. It didn't live up to my expection. :(

Viking   

Is it really copyrights concerns or about clanism? Would there be as much fuss here if this low budget movie was called 'Romeo and Juliet'? :confused:

Waryaa Paragon,

I didn't know you have become a full blown 'genge' fan. Check out the Nameless track called Sinzia, uta ipenda hiyo ngoma.

Paragon   

^^^Viking lol@Sinzia. Very good, I know. Corney lyrics- "I wish I could be your saliva, so that I could tase your lips whenever' lol. Even more corny 'I wish I could be your shoe, so that I could have a better view' The rest, is too risky to mention.

Back to the topic, no Vikes, I have no problem with copy rights.

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Viking:

Is it really copyrights concerns or about clanism? Would there be as much fuss here if this low budget movie was called 'Romeo and Juliet'? :confused:

Thank you. The individuals dragging a meaningless argument based on assumption are totally destroying the intention of the movie and I am sorry, but I cannot let that happen. There is a moral behind the movie and if you want to comment, comment on that moral.

I know it is not Hollywood Paragon, but are you not going too far by claiming to be "disappointed" without even seeing the movie? Mucjiso socoto. :D

Khalaf   

the copyright issues wont hold legally yo.....if u want do movie which u believe stays true to the original story of A & A then go ahead do it and do it better...... matter fact shoot it in the beautiful city of Lascanood ......but this love story is a somali story which happened across qabiils throughout somalia.

Horn I heard dis movie while back....and plan to watch it inshallah. Checked out the trailer. My beef is with the message of these movies? Dat love between a man and woman is more important then tradition, family/values, honor? Would I want my sister to marry just anybody because she loved him? These sort of movies portray the family of the girl bad.....and her sneaking around unislamic ways as a “courage to love”. If u have any sisters or cousins u understand n know how important the sharaaf of your sister is........and u dont want ur sister with any farah or joe because of “love”....but with someone who has religion, from good family, character ect....dis movie from the trailer is telling ppl to follow your heart instead of your conscience and the advice of your family.

hey someone gots to say it :D

SeeKer   

^^^I can't help but say this so forgive me. When I read that I pictured a dude in a dishdash and Quran preaching at street corners. Don't you think you are holding that leash a little too tightly? The "sister" has a brain and morals too and can figure it out herself.

"Someone gots to say it" :D

Khayr   

Originally posted by SeeKer:

^^^I can't help but say this so forgive me. When I read that I pictured a dude in a dishdash and Quran preaching at street corners. Don't you think you are holding that leash a little too tightly? The "sister" has a brain and morals too and can figure it out herself.

"Someone gots to say it"
:D

From your statement, one can conclude that the

the protagonists/lovers/main actors in the movie take the right directions in their lives. By that I mean; since they have a brain and 'morals', that there choices are correct and free from error. So if they chose LOVE at the expense of ALL ELSE i.e. family, religion etc., then it is the right choice for them to make.

Priorities

Love is #1, Family #2, Allah #3....or #3000

You are echoying morden sentiments and cheapening things to -sentiment (love).

Originally posted by Kashafa:

So I showed the trailer to a friend of mine, who just got back from Nairobi this summer. He knows all the 'actors' in the movie ! The 'actors' turn out to be ciyaal-ka xaafadha Eastleigh
He knows them xabad xabad. "Waraa, Lixle waa kanaa ". So he gives me the low-down on the making of the movie: Apparently, earlier this year, a Somali dude outa UK saw the group Waayaha Cusub on Youtube, liked their music, came to Nairobi and pitched a movie deal to them. They went to Mombasa, shot the movie(or the 4th grade school project

Kashafa, your friend lied to you then. He/she completely mixed you up. Who created who? I tell you what, this guy Abdimalik (the director of this new film) based in Denamrk is the man behind Waayaha Cusub's success. He is the man presented them to the world, he is actually the man who made them.

All their albums [Waayaha Cusub, Daa & Dheeman (new)]were produced, financed and marketed by SOMTV, Abdimalik's popular Online TV. You can watch more about thi group here as well. Go to their FORUM @ SOMTV.

You can't see their video without SOMTV logo, go to YouTupe and search by "waayaha cusub" and you will see all Waayaha Cusub music videos presented by SOMTV. No one else have it and you will see all their music videos.

Go to SOMTV @ YouTupe and you will see Waayaha Cusub too.

You can't find anyone else presenting Waayaha Cusub. So these guys from SOMTV worked hard to promote this group so give credit where it is due walaalo.

Caamir,

You haven't answer my questions, buddy! Try again.

--------------------------

"Dadoow, walaalkaa lagama naxee

horaa loo dadaalshaa!" By Jama, rapper from AAR.

Originally posted by Khalaf:

the copyright issues wont hold legally yo.....if u want do movie which u believe stays true to the original story of A & A then go ahead do it and do it better...... matter fact shoot it in the beautiful city of Lascanood ......but this love story is a somali story which happened across qabiils throughout somalia.

Horn I heard dis movie while back....and plan to watch it inshallah. Checked out the trailer. My beef is with the message of these movies? Dat love between a man and woman is more important then tradition, family/values, honor? Would I want my sister to marry just anybody because she loved him? These sort of movies portray the family of the girl bad.....and her sneaking around unislamic ways as a
“courage to love”. If u have any sisters or cousins u understand n know how important the sharaaf of your sister is........and u dont want ur sister with any farah or joe because of “love”....but with someone who has religion, from good family, character ect....dis movie from the trailer is telling ppl to follow your heart instead of your conscience and the advice of your family.

hey someone gots to say it

I think your misintereperting the message of the movie my friend. If there's anything that's portrayed as un-Islamic in this story it's the fact that the girl's father is making judgements based on qabil. It's important that we have films like this to help shed further light on such problems plaguing our society, and to make sure that the future generation do not fall victim to such mind states.

Aaliyyah   

Khalaf like yr sister is gonna ask you who she is gonna marry, she will follow whateve her mind an heart tells her u stay outa of it. You act like u r her father jeez. Give her sum space.

Wa Salaam

Khalaf   

^^lol walaalshiis I have radical views n I will keep it to myself.

GoldCoast u said: "It's important that we have films like this to help shed further light on such problems plaguing our society, and to make sure that the future generation do not fall victim to such mind states. "

Sxb if it takes a movie [which here beautifies boyfriend and girlfriend relationships (dancing in da club, ect].....instead of the Glorious Quran and Seerah of the Messenger scw to “shed light” and solve our problems then what does that say about somalis? :confused:

Seeker forgive me but I just have to say dis: hahahahahahaha you got served! :D Well said Khayr.