Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

ADVERTISEMENT: Ali and Awrala: A powerful Somali movie!

Gabbal   

Caamir, this is not my movie nor my script but the people behind this are my friends and I know what kind of character they have. I have spoken to them and they have never even heard of, let alone read this book by Andrejewski!

They have, however, heard of the famous story of "Cawrala and Cali" and when they decided to do something along those lines gave it that famous title. It is only for publicity purposes and the storyline and backgrounds of the characters are in no way, shape or form, similar to "Calimaax".

Now what do you, the website the earlier author opined in, and, from what I am gathering, the background of Andrejewski's book have in common other then the region of Sanaag? Can we not then imply you are speaking from qabiil point of view and maybe subconsciously, if not already aware of it, think this maybe cuts into your "clannish" history?

Like Abwaan said, you and others need to stop the Fadhi-ku-dirir siyaasad ku salaysan qabiil and support your brothers who are making a point! Quursigu qiil ma leeyahay? You decide!

Jacpher   

Can we not then imply you are speaking from qabiil point of view and maybe subconsciously, if not already aware of it, think this maybe cuts into your "clannish" history?

Like Abwaan said, you and others need to stop the Fadhi-ku-dirir siyaasad ku salaysan qabiil and support your brothers who are making a point! Quursigu qiil ma leeyahay? You decide!

I like the clarity in your tone.

Sacdiya   

I have seen several Somali movies including Qabyo, Rajo, and many others. I would definitely see this movie as soon as it available in near theater. I really like the main idea that this film is based on. It is good to see that some of us are taking time to talk about this issue and are taking the time to actually make a movie about it. I despise the idea of categorizing clans and those who think their clan is superior and make the rest look inferior. That is just plain sick it is crap. I do not understand why would anyone judge someone based on his or her clan in terms of marriage. All the narrow-minded people should go and see this movie and I hope they can understand the message behind it.

Gabbal   

Exactly Sacdiyo, and it is this central message that is the movie's and movie's only. Hopefully, this will go someway into the debate about this issue and maybe even have some affect upon it, at least for those of us in the West. Knowing what kind of influence we hold over the Somalis back home, it is not necessarily a guess the positive perspective we can bring into the less favorable aspects of our supreme culture. Certainly only good can come out of it!

Jaale Jimcaale and Mudane Libaax-sankataabte, I expect both of you to show support by seeing the movie! :Dicon_razz.gif

^^^ Horn-oow, I cant wait it either. I dont know when it is comming to Denmark!. I truly agree with Sacdiya. good point

Originally posted by Caamir:

I read the book myself and to be honest, they have lots of similarities judging from the clip. Who will start the next one of
Cilmi and Hodan
--while indicating of its veracity.

Honestly speaking Caamir, I would be grateful if you could enlighten us and share the similarities you talking about with us here. I myself read the book and there is no whatsoever similarites between them two. If you know let the world know.

Caamir, I know you coming from qabilistic point of view, aren't you?. Your reasoning is nothing but pure supposition, right? I believe it is people like you Caamir that this movie is appealing to sxb go and watch it or zip it.

Questions for you Mr. Caamir.

- Did Ali Maah used to send love text messages to Awrala?

- Did they used to hang around discotheques or parties?

- Did Ali Maax come from derided clan called "Midgaan" or "enferior" to Awrala's? icon_razz.gif

Man I can go on and on. You reminded me the other guy I met the other day in coffe shop. We had a chat about this film and then suddenly he asked me whether I know this director's clan? "is he reer waqooyi?" he asked and I was like stunned by his ignorance and stu.pidity shown here I asked him whether he watched the trailer, and he replied "yes, I did" "then, why is it so important for you to know director's clan before you see it or even to comment about it" I asked. I can tell ya it was a BIG time embarrasment for this guy that day in that little coffe shop.

Yakhee somaali illaahay u barya in daba qabto, in TOTAL decline!

Som@li   

Why bringing up clannish issues, when somebody's intellectual property MIGHT be taken without a consent?

I respect, admire and appreciate people with real work, but NOT for thieves. No Way! If this movie,which I haven’t seen YET, has taken any part of the work of late Farah M.J Awl, without any acknowledgement, it is most likely to fail.

Dear Horn,

I was recently talking to Dahir, the son of late F M.J Awl who resides in London, and were discussing a possible law suit against your friends, so tell them to be prepared!

Copyright infringement (or copyright violation) is the unauthorized use of material that is protected by intellectual property rights law particularly the copyright in a manner that violates one of the original copyright owner's exclusive rights, such as the right to reproduce or perform the copyrighted work, or to make derivative works that build upon it

Gabbal   

Dabshid-

Every action has a reaction. :D You have not watched the movie and neither has the individual Dahir. You have not read the script and neither has the individual Dahir.

You are merely speculating and with the audacity to threaten! :D Even though I assure you that the writer of that script has never read the book and has nothing to worry about, this is the 21st century sxb. If, by some miraculous chance, you and your Dahir do have the audacity to "sue" then I, myself, will more then encourage the individuals behind the movie to take legal action themselves and counter-sue even for the most simplest charge of slander, because that is what you are doing. You are slandering the good name of honest people by these frivolous charges of plagiarism. smile.gif

Bear in mind that is before they are even able to assess the practicality of a "lawsuit" from your ends.

Indha-adeega Soomaalidaa aduunka uu jeclahay! :D

Now, sxb, until you have watched the movie itself, I see no reason why you should continue bringing negative presence based on supposition into this topic. smile.gif

Originally posted by Dabshid:

Why bringing up clannish issues, when somebody's
intellectual property
MIGHT be taken without a consent?

I respect, admire and appreciate people with real work, but NOT for thieves. No Way! If this movie,which I haven’t seen YET, has taken any part of the work of late Farah M.J Awl, without any acknowledgement, it is most likely to fail.

Dear Horn,

I was recently talking to Dahir, the son of late F M.J Awl who resides in London, and were discussing a possible law suit against your friends, so tell them to be prepared!

Copyright infringement (or copyright violation)
is the unauthorized use of material that is protected by intellectual property rights law particularly the copyright in a manner that violates one of the original copyright owner's exclusive rights, such as the right to reproduce or perform the copyrighted work, or
to make derivative works that build upon it

Ha-ha-ha-ha what a funny man! law suit ku lahaa armay idinla qalibantaa, consider taas! By the way sxb, suldaankiina or whatever garaad you have ma kala tashatay about what measurements to take about these "thieves"?

By the way I personally know the director, he is from a neighbouring town in Danmark and I talked to him about this last night, he was stunned by their arrogance he said to me: "Utterly rubish, they are nothing but bunch of xaasids from hell who have nothing better to do ... shaqo u soobaxday. Say to them bring it on & "good luck" with the lawsuit :rolleyes: ".

loooool, I liked that! icon_razz.gif

Kashafa   

And the saga of Ali & Awrala gets murkier and murkier. Copyright issues, now whole-sale fraud if the accusations turn out to be true.

So I showed the trailer to a friend of mine, who just got back from Nairobi this summer. He knows all the 'actors' in the movie ! The 'actors' turn out to be ciyaal-ka xaafadha Eastleigh :D He knows them xabad xabad. "Waraa, Lixle waa kanaa ". So he gives me the low-down on the making of the movie: Apparently, earlier this year, a Somali dude outa UK saw the group Waayaha Cusub on Youtube, liked their music, came to Nairobi and pitched a movie deal to them. They went to Mombasa, shot the movie(or the 4th grade school project :D )...........annnnd then brotherman suddenly dips back to where he came from, where he proceeds to chop and edit the footage. No payment and No copy of the final movie.....or even the footage.

Maybe the mofiefilin-makers need to address this allegations

^^Waayaha Cusub are awesome, I got a peek at their songs on youtube, do they realize how big they are on the net?

I would think they atleast tune to youtube to see the hits on their video's.

I like them because they seem very talented.

They're in africa, struggling and still manage to come out with a decent video to reflect their awesome music, their voices are lovely.

I like the Waayaha cusub dude, the one in the song "Jaceyl" , I think he is rapping in there, he is cute but is too qaxooti looking for my taste, but nevertheless a straight up qaxooti hottie.

If anyone knows these cats, can you tell me if they realize the amount of success surrounding their low budget video's on youtubE?

The idea that a somali dude took off from europe to see them, its just too funny.

I thought of managing them as well when I saw their work on youtube, I wanted to represent and sign them up, but it was wishful thinking. I guess someone acted on theirs and now this european cat could profit from it and not give a cut to the actual actors?

Thats just shady, I think this dude needs his knee caps broken or something...this aint right and why the trailer keep advertising the london launch, aren't they planning on launching it in north america?

PS:Who knew Horn had it in him?? Fight the power son

Well the filmmaker must have had some sort of agreement with the actors. Really low-budget films can rarely afford to pay their actors and some offer some kind of deferred payment option in case the film makes money (but this doesn't happen in every case). I guess it all depends on what agreement the filmmaker and his actors/crew came to, but it seems unlikely that anyone set out to rip anyone off. When you want to make a film cheaply, you do everything you can to get it done and if they understand the situation, usually the actors do too.

About the copyright, I haven't read the book so I can't comment on the potential similarities, but people need to stop this casual talk of copyright breach. If you have issues, address them to the producers privately. Especially considering no one's seen the film. This is not a big Hollywood film people, nobody is going to become a stinkin' millionaire off this, and everything negative you say can actually damage the film.

Again I don't know the book, but remember you can't copyright ideas, only the way they are executed.

Needless to say, I'm happy whenever I hear that another Somali film has been made, and I'll be eager to see this film (legally icon_razz.gif ) when it's released.

Shakti   

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

I just watched the Trailer...i couldn’t stop laughing when i sew the father actually slapping the hell out of the girl... seriously, these ppl need some acting skills. In any case, im ready with $$$$$ 2 support our ppl

NASSIR   

Allamagan, you are just defending the director because you are what you accusing me of. All I have stated is that the director of the movie violated the intellectual property of a very steemed author. His book has been translated into more than 72 languages world wide. it is not just the English of it and even was selected to be part of African Literature " Selected Entries: Cawal, Faarax Maxamed Jaamac; Central African, among many esteemed authors such Chinua Achebe "

Copyright should not have to be a direct copy of the work. It can be redistributed, recreated, and reproduced different than the original work.

I have few questions for you and I expect that you might answer honestly and impartially.

Where is the story of Cawralla and Cali took place. It seems the director is telling that the story is a true story put in a fictionalized form. He even mentions the country that the story occured is greenery pasture, that is why he opted to shot the movie at Mombasa, in addition to its coast.

The film even shows when Cawralla was writing a letter to express her love and that one day Cali would come rescue her. Our brother Horn Afrique indicates that the name was used for publicity. I agree with that but wouldn't it have been appropriate even so to give credit where it belongs.

What if Cilmi and Hodan was used instead, not to mention borrowing scenes from their true stories.