Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

‘East African Accent’ Is Offensive

'East African accent' is offensive At second glance, the University police chief's description is disingenuous.

In recent public safety alerts, the University of Minnesota Police Department has consistently utilized the phrase "East African accent" as a descriptor of criminal suspects. But what does this phrase entail? Is its use necessary? The use of the expression is at best superfluous, leaving many perplexed as to why it is used so often.

The e-mails, sent by the UMPD on Feb. 23, 26 and March 20 all contain the suspect descriptors, "a black male, between the ages of 25 and 30, with short, curly hair." This is the particular set of information University police Chief Greg Hestness should have had in mind when he announced, "We seek to fulfill our obligation to provide our community with required information," in his March 24 letter to The Minnesota Daily.

However, the same e-mails from the aforementioned dates needlessly contained, "The suspect(s) spoke with an East African accent, [or] spoke to each other in a foreign language with an East African accent." Is every victim a linguist? Do they have a linguist on site to determine whether the suspect enunciated the English language in an east, west, north or south "African" accent?

The use of the phrase East African is distasteful, offensive, unnecessary, and it is by nature stereotyping. The expression presents a two-pronged dilemma for certain members of the University community. First, it condenses the diverse region of East Africa to a single ethnic people. Second, it burdens the Somali minority with those implications.

Chief Hestness explained in his letter that the UMPD is "open to description suggestions," which at first glance reads as an encouraging prospect. But is it really?

What the statement likely meant to say is, "We are open to being provided with a politically correct method in which we can openly marginalize a people." The suggestion is not one to take seriously. Now let us think of a polite way to curse.

Guled Ibrahim

Somali Student Association president

Paragon   

Erm, OK. Got it.

BTW, Somalia is not East Africa? Not even Eastern Africa, according to the old geo lessons I took during ninteen kalayaaccii.

So, Soomaalida need not be offended. They have a charming Horn-african accent.

PS: What's up with the geo-knowledge of Americans horta? :D

Cara.   

I'm not sure what this person is complaining about. If a suspect had a British accent, should that be left out of the description? What if the suspect was wearing a kilt? Would including that be offensive to Scots? Do you have to be a fashion designer to describe a kilt?

I'm pretty sure that, given the alarming number of young Somali men who are in Minnesotan prisons, law enforcement officials can recognize an "East African accent" in their sleep.

Jacpher   

^^I don't think the issue is just the accent from what I am told. Waxaa la sheegay the UMPD got too many "East African" descriptor in their emails. For every make up kit stolen in university grounds, email is sent containing east African word. Reminds me of channel 5 news using the "East African" to describe uptown murder suspect. The Minneapolis Police said they were looking for African-American suspects not East African immigrants. Nimankan UMPD dhibkooda ma yara. Ciyaalkana dambi iyo shiddo ma daayyaan.

Ibtisam   

Originally posted by Cara.:

I'm not sure what this person is complaining about. If a suspect had a British accent, should that be left out of the description? What if the suspect was wearing a kilt? Would including that be offensive to Scots? Do you have to be a fashion designer to describe a kilt?

I'm pretty sure that, given the alarming number of young Somali men who are in Minnesotan prisons, law enforcement officials can recognize an "East African accent" in their sleep.

A better question is what does the EASt African Accent sound like? I assume they mean an accent when they speak english, this can differ from person to person depending on how easy they can pick up other languages, how old they are or pis*sed off or happy, length of time outside of East Africa, educational background etc. I just don't think there is an accent which we can agree is East African, might be better to narrow it down to countries and tribes icon_razz.gif:D

Lol@"East African Accent." Yeah, with all the police go through, I think they and they only know what "East African Accent" sounds like. Maybe they should do a study. Lol.

On a serious note, they probably mean African Accent as in thick accent even though most of the boys who they wrestle with have more of Black accent(with all the insults and half sentences much respected in the black gangs community) than African.

B   

does this mean all minnasota forum members speak with East African Accent!?

raula   

As an alumni of U of M-I dont understand why these kids (SSA) start ranting and throw out the racist card everytime UMPD involves somalis. Really? take a look at the cedar riverside area, that place is infested w/gangs and "pests" :D

As for Guled-pardon me -as a former SSA member/chair-U of M. You dont have to resort to defending these bandits. Realize that we somalis have acculturated to the American way-good and the ugly-so lets face it and be responsible for our actions and model perhaps some good citizenship. So many times, i have seen disruptions involving the somalis around campus and within and no one has called to condemn them except voice their concerns of being "stereotyped". intaad somali ceeb uu diideysan (pun intended) baad ibtilo isku soo jeedin doontan. waa la yaab wale!

(along the same lines of the topic): this is how far we have come to be knowledgeable about respect for the law/policies/rules/regulations/norm. A woman who was flying international was supposed to be at the airport to check in and what not-3 hrs ago (somali ofcourse). She arrives 45 minutes before her flight leaves w/3 69/72/56 Ib bags w/2 little ones that weight about 50Ibs each. As the receptionist assists w/weighing she is asked to pay fee for the overweight bags, while she checks her flight status. Receptionist realizes, that the flight has borded already and cannot be changed. When told that, the somali lady and her friend start bombarding the receptionist with their half-baked english, while cursing under thier somali breadth that the woman is being racist. The receptionist, frustrated with all their cumulated problems (arguing that they dont want to pay for the bags & that being called racist)gives up after trying to find a connection flight to NYC but to no avail. The other friend-who is not flying-calls the receptionist-haa naagtan caadi ma ahan, xaley bey kasoo deregte, maba doneyso iney shaqeyso..waa kadibad..ahey anigay nugu ciyaareysa... :eek:

war ileen bal daya..simply, who doesn't know to go early to the airport for overseas bound flights? Marka my point is: simple things, if we dont follow the rules/or even curse the hand that is helping some of us and giving us bariis (I know some say-haa isaaqada Allah. s.w. baa bixiya..nacam...but through what channel?)how are we going to respect each other or follow the law of the land.

Originally posted by Sayid*Somal:

Dhis = this

Tu'Alif = 12

Lambar = number

Tis = any word that ends with a S

can't think of anymore now - but will update later.

also don't forget

Shit = sheet (some guys in high school had a lot of fun asking the teachers for a 'shit of paper')

Cara.   

^For me it's apparently the letter T, among other things. The way I say it screams qaxooti :D

Ibti, 'East African accent' is already PC-talk for Faaraxs. In Minnesota:

Asian = Hmuong Chinese;

East African immigrant = Somali.

And yeah they could probably pinpoint your accent to Burco by way of East London icon_razz.gif

No doubt about it, Jacphar. I'm sure there are legitimate issues of stereotyping and bigotry for Twin Cities folk to deal with. I just think a more thoughtful approach is needed than making a fuss about police email nomenclature.