Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

The Penguin-Style Hijab!

Rahima   

Marx, going by your name calling of the sisters choice of hijab, it's natural for someone to question your motive.

Why couldn't you make your point of brightness without insulting? We get enough of that already, we don't need our brothers making fun also. Very sad walaahi.

it seems it's not possible to have an opinion on style where the hijab is concerned. Can't a woman have a high Iman and a terrible dress sense all at once? I meet them all the time. LoL.

Rahima   

Of course they can Sheh, but the hijab is above ridicule. It's not just a piece of clothing, it signifies (or rather should) worship of Allah, and obeying of His command. When pointing out mistakes of sisters as with regards to her hijab, do so respectfully not full of cay calling it a penguin-hijab. As a woman who wears hijab, i find the comment extremely offensive, even though i don't wear that particular style.

Blessed   

Horta heedhe, we need to find a proper inoffensive name for that style, I don't really know what t call it myself. I say the Somali style but not only Somalis wear it.

Back to topic.. I was objecting to the premise that this hijab doesn't meet the conditions set by Allah and His Messenger (SAW) because of it's bright colour. Fashionista hijaabis wey iska duuban yihiin too markaa. I did not say that you can't comment on their fashion sense. Just that fashion doesn't dictate Islamic ruling. smile.gif

Originally posted by -MARX-:

If the whole point of wearing hijab is for modesty, why we do see this in all sorts of conspicuous and attention-grabbing colours and style....
but this type of a hijab is absurd and unacceptable. It doesn’t achieve its religious objectives nor does it promote modesty or humbleness.

p.s Sheh, have you been biting yourself a lot lately? Waan ku mind-xamanyey, baryahan oo dhan. :D

Originally posted by Rahima:

Of course they can Sheh, but the hijab is above ridicule. It's not just a piece of clothing, it signifies (or rather should) worship of Allah, and obeying of His command. When pointing out mistakes of sisters as with regards to her hijab, do so respectfully not full of cay calling it a penguin-hijab. As a woman who wears hijab, i find the comment extremely offensive, even though i don't wear that particular style.

I've seen women wear it well but mostly they don't. Something about Somalis makes them disinterested in good form, style and coordination. I don't only mean the clothing. Ever been to a Somali cafe or restaurant? Bound to be something to make you cringe. It's the disregard that gets to me.

Blessed, biting myself? No. Why inflict self-pain when there are others I could sink an incisor or two into. :D I am well.

Gabbal   

I do not understand. Is it not an individual Muslim woman's prerogative to choose how she wears her hijab? More importantly, what is the relevance and even appropriateness of calling any type of religious clothing "penguin-style"?

From what I have been able to judge of the discussion so far, it seems Marx is more concerned about how the hijab looks to his British-born peer then about respecting and understanding the right of a Muslim woman to wear what she deems is best emulating that which her God had designed for her and by that how to wear it. At the end of the day is this not the most important thing?

To be honest I have been particularly touched by Rahima's comment that read:

Why couldn't you make your point of brightness without insulting? We get enough of that already, we don't need our brothers making fun also. Very sad walaahi.

I just find it very unfortunate and even disappointing, to say the least, that the magnitude of what Rahima has voiced has not dawned on this character by the name of Marx.

Perhaps it is about time he reorients his priorities and chooses that which is more important; appeasing his Western-born peer's "sensibilities" or respecting and reaffirming the right of a Muslim woman to worship her lord the way she believes she can best fulfill His design for her.

If he chooses the former, well he will then in effect be free to pursue his bashing of the Muslim woman's Islamic attire because he will have outlined clearly his motive thus.

If he, however, chooses the latter the said individual would need to comprehend the irrelevancy of his topic as it is not up to him to condition for the Muslim woman, as much as communist societies would condition for their people, the manner in which the Muslim woman believes will best fulfill God's design for her.

Haneefah   

Half the things Marx utters cannot possibly be taken seriously (waa full of bile as he would likely agree) - most of you should know this by now.

Originally posted by sheherazade:

Something about Somalis makes them disinterested in good form, style and coordination. I don't only mean the clothing. Ever been to a Somali cafe or restaurant? Bound to be something to make you cringe. It's the disregard that gets to me.

Hehe, ma ila aragtey? I can't honestly recall one Somali restaurant with interior design that seemed satisfactory in my standards (in the West that is; I can think of pretty good upscale ones in old Xamar). Oh and the terrible dress sense, I sometimes wish I could approach some Faraxs and say, ya akhi what planet do you live on? sida isu dhaan!! Boqol colours and textures oon islahayn - stuck in the 80s Somali style would be an understatement :D