Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

August 26th/28th, Sunday/Tuesday, Speaker Selection ---Somaliaonline Coverage

Somalia will select its first post transition speaker on August 26th. This is very important event as it signifies the end of an era. The Parliament will convene its session in the capital city where the rule of warlords once reign supreme. Also, the election of the speaker will either enhance or dim the chances of some of the presidential candidates. For example if Dr. Galayr or MP Xidig wins the speakership, Prof. Abdiweli, the sitting prime minister and one of the serious contenders for the top post, will be eliminated on technicality. Likewise if Prof. Jawaari wins the speakership, Sharif Hassan, the outgoing speaker, will be eliminated as a presidential candidate. So in a way, the contest for Somalia's parliament speaker has garnered excitement and interest from political analysts.

Waa inoo halkan yaa jamaacah. If you have live coverage links please post it here.

Libaax Sankataabte, awoowe soo aruuri wixii links ood hayso ama heli karto . There are Somali news portals that may be allowed to broadcast live from the session .

The Candidates

Prof. Jawaari, a former Barre regime figure , and a native of Bay and Bakool region, his candidacy is rumored to be supported by Sharif Ahmed, the current sitting president, to deliver a fatal blow to Sharif Hassan's bid for the top post. His popularity in the political base remains to be seen. He is up against the well oiled political machine that is Sharif Hassan. The political psychology of moving up on the ladder and vying for the highest post for his community as proposed by Sharif Hassan's presidential candidacy could prove a hurdle for Prof. Jawaari. However, as Sharif Hassan's political nemesis increase in number, so do the support for Prof. Jawaari from other presidential candidates constituents. It is hard to predict how he will ultimately fair in this contest.

Dr. Galayr is a former prime minister of Arta government, respected academic, and controversial politician. His candidacy is by far the most interesting as it stirs the pot in a way that could reset the political variables quite significantly. If he wins it will be the first time the block settles for less than the two posts of the country ; president or the pm. Some say his candidacy is inline with what the International community envisions for the country for the first four years--muzzling the big clans in order to rebuild the trust amongst Somalia's various community. His candidacy has immediate effect as well for if his wins, it will be a huge political come back for his Khatumo base as it knocks Prof. Abdiweli out of the race, and rubs Faroole's political sore points ...

Political ramifications aside, whether he has the real math with him is hard to tell. Sharif Ahmed will probably support him if a bit weary. Sharif Hassan will not lose much in supporting him as it solidifies his candidacy, narrowing the field. Farmaajo and Abdiweli will fight real hard to shut him off , and will probably be able to convince large block of the constituencies to work against him. In any case, Dr. Galayr's candidacy is a not to be take lightly and is indeed a very serious development. How he fairs in the contest is very hard to predict.

Abwaan;860273 wrote:
Xiin sii wad sheekada, Cali Khaliif-na ku soo dar, naga daa cayaartee.
:D

waryaa dont remind Aw Xiin the family wont be running the country..lol

But seriously though the concept if power is very skewed in the Somali.

Abwaan   

So far, I would give my vote to Dr. Gallayr. I am sorry Jawaari. I know that you have an experience and good qualifications, but I don't want a muqayil speaker. I want someone who would advocate to abolish this drug, later on when the time comes Insha Allah.

Duufaan   

you better add Juriqle too, Faroole and Gaas camp already gave up their president and PM ambition and running for the speaker of house behind Jurile. As it stands now it is Galaydh vs Juriqle backing by puntland

Mooge   

Abwaan;860288 wrote:
So far, I would give my vote to Dr. Gallayr. I am sorry Jawaari. I know that you have an experience and good qualifications, but I don't want a muqayil speaker. I want someone who would advocate to abolish this drug, later on when the time comes Insha Allah.

majority of people would support someone with personal shortcomings instead of a divisive and unethical one who will sell the office to highest bidder and divide the country. remember Obama smokes sigaar and Bush never did. loool.

by the way, jawaari doesn't eat Khat. you have been given wrong info. or should i say you made it up on SOL to cover your support for galeyr. loool. stop slandering the man ninyoow waxan dhowr jeer ban ku arkay adigoo ku celcelinayee.

ka qalee odayga ninyoow.

Abwaan   

Mooge;860297 wrote:

by the way, jawaari doesn't eat Khat. you have been given wrong info. or should i say you made it up on SOL to cover your support for galeyr. loool. stop slandering the man ninyoow waxan dhowr jeer ban ku arkay adigoo ku celcelinayee.

ka qalee odayga ninyoow.

:DMooge, I have not made it up runtii. You know I don't do these kind of things. Beleive me I have heard it from a dozen individuals who know him well including former neighbours. Obama and Bush drink too and I know that, but we are talking about Somalia issues over here not US. I have noticed that Gallayr has become closer to diin in the last few years and I am sure you will agree with me on this, if you know the professor. Gallayr is not a saint and so are many who are in Somali politics, but I do think that he will do well in this post. After education and experience, Gallayr is hated by Ethiopia which is another reason that he should be chosen. Anigu waan ka dheeraadaa whoever is closer to Addis.

Duufaan   

mooge

A historic pro colonial group, from the day EU colinal arrive to somalia to this day, which has close relationship both malazawi and mahiga are calling some else unpatriotic, that is unfair. Galaydh is more patriotic and more clean anybody farooles camp.The personal attack of Galaydh will not going to work

Somalia   

Duufaan;860305 wrote:
mooge

A historic pro colonial group, from the day EU colinal arrive to somalia to this day
, which has close relationship both malazawi and mahiga are calling some else unpatriotic, that is unfair. Galaydh is more patriotic and more clean anybody farooles camp.The personal attack of Galaydh will not going to work

I want some of that you are smoking.