Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

Death of Gaddafi: A Lesson but not for Dictators

Abtigiis   

The killing of Muammar Gaddafi, by NTC where the N stands for Nato, is a clear warning to leaders in third-world countries, whether dictators or democrats. They should not mess with western interest, especially when they are sitting on valuable natural resources. Algeria’s Buteflika is not likely to fear US bombs nor does the small royal family in Bahrain lose sleep over the simmering anger of its populace when the sun sets tonight. In Africa, Meles Zenawi may feel the heat, not so much because he is worried about his people, but for his reckless audacity to look to the East. Bashar Assad is trembling but that is mainly because he is an enemy of US and Israel. Ali Abdalla Salah shouldn’t unnecessarily be concerned. In recent history, only two Arab leaders were deposed and killed by their people –Saddam Hussien and Gaddafi. In both cases, Western powers did the job. In Africa, it is almost a similar story. Mobutu, Mengistu, Idi Amin, Bokassa, Hissien Habre were all ousted after falling out of favour with their western handlers. It is therefore misleading to flood newspaper pages and TV screen with talk of how the fall of Gaddafi should act as a lesson to tyrants who refuse to listen to their people.

The exception to this might be Tunisia and Egypt, but it is clear even that wouldn’t have been achieved if the west decided to side with the dictators until the last minute. Seeing the inevitable, the imperialists felt it will cost them less to be seen to be in sync with the people’s wish and ambush the genuine aspirations of Egyptians and Tunisians at a later stage. It was a mere tactical strategizing than a genuine will to support democratic governance in the subject countries.

I admire Gaddafi today. Not because he is a hero; he was a bad leader. He was a killer too. But he said he will die in Libya and he died in his hometown. It has now become customary to tell stories of cowardice of dictators when they face death, but the man knew he will die in Sirte and refused to negotiate until the last minute. The sewage they display as his hiding place could have been only a place where he sat next to, as the fighting raged. It is a common human urge to duck bullets and the bravest of men will do that. Having seen his son –Mutassim- smoking and drinking water just before he was killed, his face didn’t show fear. We all know the cerebral paucity of Gaddafi and his sons and they may have made the wrong choice of burning their own hometown which they built from dust, but they haven’t betrayed those they urged to fight for the family. The worst is to ask others to die for you and evade death at the last minute. Greed for power, fear of retribution from his enemies, and poor judgment could have led Gaddafi to make such a fatal and foolish choice in the end, but it could also be because he, wrongly, believed he is dying for a cause. And whatever cause they believe in, I respect men who die for their principles. In life, his name resonated with maverick intransigence; his death echoed with obdurate defiance.

History is written by the victors and it will soon be heresy to say one good word about what he did for Libya, but he has built the infrastructure (some may argue wasted much more than could have built more), built the biggest artificial lake from the aquifer of the dry desert and provided free education. He was good for some, bad for others mainly in Benghazi. Many will be silently morning his death tonight in Libya, but we don’t hear about them because the vanquished are fearful. As for Libya, it is a transition from looting to another looting: from a native looter to a foreign one with Guns and phoney international charters!

Last, how the NTC ragtag moor.yaan dealt with Gaddafi and his family in the last minutes, coupled with how they killed Abdilfatah Yunis, military leader of the rebels few months ago, point to their true colours. Libya will not miss Gaddafi, but it will also not fare better with these psychopathic and medieval militants who are flying with borrowed feathers. They will soon find out their joyride to Tripoli, which they mistake as a fierce struggle, won’t bring much happiness after the demise of Gaddafi as they massacre one another like the USC did in Mogadishu. They acted like rats in the end, although they said they aren't. They must be worried that Nato is leaving them now. Unease lies in the head that wears a borrowed crown, someone said, and I agee!

nuune   

Excellent post yaa AT&T, indeed, in the end, they acted like rats because they were rats all along, and Gaddafi warned about them acting like animals, even worse than animals

Ps: What did the Harare newspapers said about Gaddafi death, I know all South African Newspapers were in defense of Gaddafi and offering condolences.

Coofle   

I just Admire This ......Allaw yaa uurkayga qala oo, Qudha uun la iga jarin,,,,,,,This is what I felt about the issue...

What Allah gives, Allah takes.

Ultimately Gaddafi is to be blamed for the sort of culture of lawlessness and savagery that transpired including the one that took his live. 42 years of acting like a GOD created a false impression of invincibility for him and his family. If his incoherent book is any measure of the thinking of the late Gaddafi, Libyans have indeed endured 42 years of hell.

Now what the rebels did is abhorrent and detestable, and it shows their level of ignorance of basic humane treatment. The faith whose adherence they claim prohibits the savagery they recorded. But again they are uninitiated youth in the matter of war and its rules of engagement. They are excitable , young men with no military or administrative training, brought to the fore by a sense of deep injustice. They did what they new the best, they have shown what they've accustomed for and known, which is a raw force and brutality. In other words, their savage acts were straight out of late Gaddafi's script.

But one has to respect the man, he did what he said he would do; die fighting for his power. He remained true to his words. Just like Sadam before him, he faced death in the most honorable way. His dead corps might have shown around as a trophy, but the man has indeed died a dignified death. He did not do what the last Muslim Morish Kind did: give the keys of Alhumra Palace to the conquering Christian couple with a humiliating bow. No! Gaddafi died a different death.

Libya is similar to Somalia in an unbelievable manner; sizable country with small population located on a very strategic maritime trade route with a population deeply divided on clannish lines. But they are different in fundamental way; they have a natural resource that the world wants. Whether that will play to their advantage or against them remains to be seen. But I am not optimistic on their future.

PasserBy   

Gaddafi was a bad person. He fueled so many of the civil wars in Africa, especially in west and central Africa. That said, the way he died was unjustifiable in so many levels. . I am afraid his death is the beginning, and not the end of Libya's ordeal.

Typical as apologist for the late dictator of Somali do, whether vocal or behind closed doors, they blame Somalis destruction on the rebels and ignore the elephant in the room. How AT&T started from Gadhafi and ended with a swipe at USC carefully side stepping the difference between the two dictators; one dying in a Nigerian toilet, defeated, a refugee in a 3rd world nation. Whilst Gadhafi died in his home town standing by his word. If you want to compare the two rebels, be fair and do the same for the two dictators or else your creditability will be question and everything you write will be taken as a paragraph from the O manual and dismissed.

Malika   

Thanks A&T for this thread- I havent managed to even watch the news today - I knew this was coming, but somehow it just seems to shaken me. I am actually disturbed by it. I still remember the Eid day that we watch Saddam's execution - it kind of haunted me for a while.

Anyways - Inna Lillah waa inna illahi rajcuun..

I found this clip hilarious, kinda sums up all those ****** that have been regurgitate by Western Media - worse more is listening to the radio callers..Oh my! idiocy to the max.

I disagree with your belittling the achievement of Libyan people in getting rid of Gaddafi. You are forgetting the sad end for Gaddafi was exactly his reward for the way he treated his own people for 42 years. He showed no mercy and receive none. Nato helped but it was the bravery of Libyan people who ultimately get rid of the tyrant.

Those of us who live in the west should appreciate how the western countries are concerned with human rights violations and if some leaders continue to brutalize their own just to stay in power, than outside intervention will become inevitable. The question you should ask is why these third world countries do not respect basic human rights?

Som@li   

He was a tyrant , ruthless who never gave mercy to many innocent people, and one can say, this was coming for him.

But we can all agree, he stick to his words, and died in style.

A lot of savagery coming out from the NTC, it can get worse or better for Libya now

Malika   

^Perhaps the savages needed to be ruled with an iron rod - they showed their true colours. As for him being a tyran and ruthless - is your information through the western media? Ama you know something else...if so baal direct us to the source.

The only two Arab leaders with balls - got annexed. They had to humiliate them - just to show the world they can. The Libyan rebels would have not dare get anywhere near Gaddafi it it weren't for NATO and the western allies.

Gaddafi, rest in peace - you have left a void in Africa.

Saalax   

I dislike dictators. Gaddafi though died in his own country like he said unlike Siad Bare who fled to Lagos Nigeria.

Jacpher   

^Start inserting the victim card here? Unlike Qaddafi, Somalis wish Siyaad Barre was here to keeping the demons in the box so the world wouldn't be seeking solution to the twenty year old civil war.

Let's not start glorifying Gaddafi for all we know he wasn't innocent. Far from it, he was a dictator who brought hell to his people. And a tyrant that dragged the country down into ruins.

ATT: In essence, dictators and the people are secondary to the interest of the powers that be which sadly Nato & UN serve well.

Allaahu akbartooda igu daran. Acuudi biilaahi. Jaahilnimo lagu dhuftay badownimo results such a barbarism. Si walba qof wax u galabsada ma istaahilo in saas loola dhaqmo, siiba odey wareersan u egyahay inta yar uu ka muuqdo cajalka. Hal dhaamo ku dhex jiro maala waaye. Eebbaa ma magangalnay, shartoodana Reer Liibiya Rabi haka qabto.