Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

SOL Projection: Shariif wins the race for the presidency

Kool_Kat   

Maslax is the true star in all of this...Job well done...Good luck to him in his future political career...

Congrats also, and again, to Mr Dhaalal/Birbiriq, a.k.a. Shiikh Shariif - Mr. President...Hope he is the one to bring our, hard headed, people together...

Gabbal   

Duke, out of the 36 pages in this topic, half of it is contributed by you and some of your regional buddies displaying how are "avenged" by Nuur Cadde's defeat today. Yes, bitter is the right word. :D

Aaliyyah   

^ Yeah Koolkat I also congratulate maslax maxammed siyad. The man is split image of his dad my god. He was a down to earth typa man and spoke with class mashallah. Truthfully, He would have won if things were different. But, apparently we all knew what the results of this election would have been. And, definitely sharif shiekh ahmed is an excellent man with character and it seems he's a good candidate to restore the choas happening in somalia. I wish the best for him and lemme make more duca for him....

"ilaahay ha caawiyo sharif shiekh ahmed in uu dalkeena ka dhigo nabad iyo dal horumar iyo midnimo gaadha.."

amiin amiin amiin

salaam

Som@li   

Moderate Is Elected as President of Somalia

By MOHAMMED IBRAHIM

Published: January 30, 2009

MOGADISHU, Somalia — A moderate Islamic cleric was elected president of Somalia early Saturday morning by the Somali Parliament, which was meeting in Djibouti.

The cleric, Sheik Sharif Sheik Ahmed, headed the Islamic courts movement that governed the capital, Mogadishu, and most of southern Somalia until 2006. Some analysts had said they thought that Sheik Sharif had the best chance of all the candidates for president to unite Somalis, because of his Islamist roots and his acceptability to a variety of factions.

Parliament was selecting a replacement for the former president, Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed, who resigned in late December after four years in office. A former warlord, Mr. Yusuf had been widely blamed for Somalia’s deepening crisis and had been steadily marginalized.

The lawmakers broke into applause when Sheik Sharif reached the minimum number of votes needed for victory, 213, a little before 4 a.m. during an all-night session of Parliament. The legislators were meeting in Djibouti, just north of Somalia, under a United Nations-brokered deal to establish a unity government between the transitional government and moderate Islamists.

“I promise that I will serve my people loyally and neutrally without color or clan,” Sheik Sharif told the lawmakers after the balloting. “I call other Somalis who are not part of this peace process to join us.”

He defeated Gen. Maslah Mohamed Siad, the son of the former dictator, Maj. Gen. Mohammed Siad Barre, in the second round of voting. The outcome seemed likely after Prime Minister Nur Hassan Hussein withdrew from the balloting after the first round. He had been considered Sheik Sharif’s main rival for the presidency, but he withdrew after winning only 59 votes in the initial round.

In Mogadishu, where many people stayed up all night to follow the election on radio and television, people celebrated in the streets immediately afterward, with shots being fired into the air.

For Sheik Sharif, the burden of reconciling Somalia’s 10 million people and ending 18 years of bloodshed will be daunting. Most of Somalia is controlled by various Islamist militias, although some of the moderate Islamist groups support the government. The government itself controls only a few blocks of Mogadishu.

The Shabab, a hard-line Islamist militia, controls most of Mogadishu and much of the southern part of the country. It has denounced the election in Djibouti as meaningless, and on Monday captured the seat of Parliament in the town of Baidoa.

Somalia has been without a functioning central government since 1991, when General Siad Barre was removed from power and the army fell into the hands of clan militias, who turned on one another and left the country largely in anarchy.

More Articles in World » A version of this article appeared in print on January 31, 2009, on page A6 of the New York edition

Horn, adeer Nur Cade is dealt with, now whats your point? Nur what ever importance he had for you is sleeping and left nothing behind now and thats the end of him. What about your President Ahmed Abdi Salaan or was that another Gas moment of yours?. If we are bitter you must be on your death bed old boy.. :D

Vive the Republic.

AYOUB   

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

Duke, out of the 36 pages in this topic, half of it is contributed by you and some of your regional buddies displaying how are "avenged" by Nuur Cadde's defeat today. Yes, bitter is the right word.
:D

:D:D Yey's downfall seems to be a cloud hanging over every comment and decision the likes of Duke make. Apparently, they won it for Sharif and it's their silver lining. At least they're finally giving Nur Cadde credit for Yey's downfall - be it in a very back-handed way. As long as it gives them closure I'm happy to give them all the credit. :D

yey is history. a disgraced former warlord and somalia's number one traitor.

he deserves execution for his crimes.

my father fought in ****** war. if he were alive today i think he would have flown to yemen and personally hunt that munafiq down

hold your horses homies! the game hasnt begun yet! u hated him yesterday..now u love him..cuz hes your clan n u luv him.. shame on u.

we talking about africa..a 1yr rule is like a mircale!! 2 means u got the amxaar/christiis etc..with yaa.

so who is gonna protect him!! it aint gonna be u 4 sure?? cuz we r dizzy diaspora welfare feed morans who dont understand somali culture except what your clan tells u! for sure.

he be toast!! and u & will be at kfc saying... yo

he was a moran #2 after yeey in while!! 4 sure.

Juje   

Originally posted by General Duke:

I am happy that clown Nur Cade is gone now he can sleep. Now we celebrate, Sharif Ahmed long life and peace saxib.

Indeed, I can understand your felicitation in here sxb and it is childish behaviour of you as usual. However Nuur Caade left scene in a better picture than you anticiapated or even hoped for - rather than retiring couple of months agon and leaving Yeey in the helm, he has now gone and made sure that the country was in a better and able hands as far as security, safety and prosperity for the future is country Inshallah.

As a result Nuur Caade is revered and and set a benchmark to move the caravan forward. While Yeey chased from Puntland is looking for a cave to stay in for the rest of his live, unwanted and despised.