Sign in to follow this  
hukri

Women travelling

Nur   

Bulo walaal

You write:

Originally posted by bulo:

salaam

correct me if i'm wrong, but what about the hadith that the prophet said something with the meaning that time will come women will travel from yemen to makkah alone afraid nothing but the wild animals, and the narrator said i have seen that happen, why did not he mention the mahram?

Answer:

I do not know why, but that fact is not a sufficeint and neccessary proof that the mahram concept is invalid.

Opinionated

Thanks for the clarifications walaal.

Nomads

The discussion diverged to a different but good direction, Alhamdulillah, it is no longer Hawiian punch, but aserious and a valid concept with possibly some exceptions like any other rule in the sharia.

Here I may add that before we debate a topic and a ruling, we must first all agree:

1. That we are all seeking Allah SWT pleasure

2. We are substantiating our views with Quraan and Sunnah since Allah SWT said:

" An in case you dispute over a matter, then refer to Allah ( QURAN) and his Messenger ( Sunnah) "

Secondly.

We must never forget the drivers of the sharia in Islam, to grasp the reasons behind halal and haran in Islam.

The drivers are:

1. Protection of faith

2. Protection of Life

3. Protection of Dignity

4. Protection of Property

So, no matter how clever we are in presenting our case and substantiaing it with proofs from Quraan and Sunnah, if the above Maqaasid of sharica are violated, then the ruling is invalid, because Islam can not be used to disabel Islam, nor can we use hadeeth to or Quraan to make a fatwa that endangers the life, health , dignity and property of people, that simply is not valid.

So said all of that, I am of the opinion that the rule on mahram is always valid, but, special circumstances have special rulings, these exceptions are only valid while the pressing matters are present.

It is also, true that women are allowed to make Hajj if they are a group of women, because here, with caution again, their life and dignity must be secure.

That is all today

Nur

Nur

bilan   

salaam

i never said it is not part of the islam :D , the reason i posted that hadith was sometimes women can travell without a mahram.

Jaabir   

Originally posted by Opinionated:

First, I will not even bother to answer your questions. :rolleyes: Do not ask me what I don't understand or do ...as if to say that if I did know the reasoning behind it I would be 100% agreeable! That's not always the case. In this case, I know enough about mahrams for me to say that I don't agree with the concept.

;)

"No one is blinder than those who dont want to see"

Xafsa   

I don't see where all this talk and debating comes into play. Either you believe or you don't. Allah takes care of his religion...why aa isku xabeebineeysiin?

Darman, you are wrong indeed. No one is blinder than the one that doesnt use his head.

If you made that comment to suggest that I don't want to see what all of u are seeing...then you are sadly mistaken. I do already see, I just choose to disagree :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Darman, you are wrong indeed. No one is blinder than the one that doesnt use his head.

If you made that comment to suggest that I don't want to see what all of u are seeing...then you are sadly mistaken. I do already see, I just choose to disagree :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rahima   

Sister opinionated without any of us resorting to personal attacks, the point is simple and the issue can easily be solved.

The general rule is, if a person claims to be a Muslims (i.e. one who adheres to the Islamic faith) then they MUST believe in all that is sanctioned by the religion, whether it is to their liking or not. This is Allahs religion and He has perfected it and most importantly there is no place for mere mortals to bring in their “opinions” on designated matters such as the maxram. If one was to dispute on the technicalities of the maxram issue that would be one thing, but to deny its total existence after knowledge (for ignorance would be a different issue) is to deny Islam basically. Like I said sister opinionated, don’t take it personally, but this general rule would apply to every similar situation irrespective of the parties involved.

You either believe or you don’t, it is that simple.

Rokko   

Originally posted by Rahima:

I think this sums up this whole arguement.

Opinionated, ya are taking this "disagree" thing to another level na'mean.

Walaal, who are you to "disagree"?

Do ya have a choice to disagree with the rulings of Allah and the Prophet and still call yourself a muslim?

bilan   

salaam

it is good to talk about these issues, but i think there should be a base that we all agree, i heard before i do not know who said it something that roughly translates to "if the religion was based on opinion then we would have wiped the shoe from the bottom(for wudu) since the bottom of the shoe is where gets dirty, but in the sharia we wipe the shoe on the top".

Whoa!!!

Seems like there's War in my favourite corner :(

Sister Ameenah summed up best for me:

Agreed walaal. You require a mahram when travelling abroad not when your going to work / local store.

hukri   

I just want to thank all of you who participated and shared what you had to say!...light have been shed on the issue and I really appreciate it!

Originally posted by Rahima:

Sister opinionated without any of us resorting to personal attacks, the point is simple and the issue can easily be solved.

The general rule is, if a person claims to be a Muslims (i.e. one who adheres to the Islamic faith) then they MUST believe in all that is sanctioned by the religion, whether it is to their liking or not. This is Allahs religion and He has perfected it and most importantly there is no place for mere mortals to bring in their “opinions” on designated matters such as the maxram. If one was to dispute on the technicalities of the maxram issue that would be one thing, but to deny its total existence after knowledge (for ignorance would be a different issue) is to deny Islam basically. Like I said sister opinionated, don’t take it personally, but this general rule would apply to every similar situation irrespective of the parties involved.

If you are mildly suggesting that I am not a muslim simply because I don't see it your way....then I feel sorry for you. So, let me shut up and follow everything I am told so I can be a muslim in your eyes. smile.gif

Raxmah   

I've heard many differing hadiths refering to women traveling with a mahram, I'm not denying the condition of a woman travelling with a mahram, you either beleive it or not, but somehow when all different madhabs have a different opinion it makes you doubt.

However, in my opinion with the changed circumstances of modern times, travelling has become a lot different from what it used to be in previous days. There are some travels in which safety both physical as well as moral is ensured. So, in such travels the mahram condition no longer applies. As far as the decision as to which journeys have become so safe is concerned, the traveller must decide for herself.

Taqwa   

Assalamu Alaikum Wr Wb,

It's the likes of some of these personalities that made me come to this website once in a blue moon. Since when do we question something that is beyond our mere understanding? A law that is in reputable must not be questioned. Having said that, why are you quarrelling with someone that will tell you the skies are green?

Allah (swt) says in surah An-Nahl, “Yunathilu al-malaikata bialroohi min amrihi alaa man yashaoo min aaibadihi an anthiroo anahu la ilaha illa ana faittaqoni" Meaning, Allah send down his angels with inspiration to his servants and to warn mankind that they should worship no deity other then Allah (swt) and that WE as Muslims should CLEARLY do our duty towards Allah.

P.S. By the way sister opinionated, please go and indulge your mind in Allah’s book before you make a silly opinion. There are things to question and things that should be left along. I'm assuming that your taking your nick name literally. This is cyber dear.