Sign in to follow this  
hukri

Women travelling

Thanks for taking the time to clarify exactly what it means to be one who proffess belief in Allah, his messengers, the Quran, and the Last Prophet Muhammed (SAW).

To say this means to submit, willingly, and without no doubt, to the way of living perfect for us By Allah (Ar Rahman) under Islam.

It is not for us ever to question the valdity or the wisdom behind any of Allah's laws that are clearly defined and expressed in the Quran, or Stated by Prophet Muhammed (SAW). To do so relfects (possibly) a lack of knowledge, and or low Imaan.

hukri   

originally written by bulo:

salaam

correct me if i'm wrong, but what about the hadith that the prophet said something with the meaning that time will come women will travel from yemen to makkah alone afraid nothing but the wild animals, and the narrator said i have seen that happen, why did not he mention the mahram?

Does that mean that it is acceptable to travel on your own :confused:

Nur, I'm still waiting for you to try and answer my lil questions :(

Nur,

this is what's wrong with the muslims today. When someone has a different opinion than the majority.....their muslimness has to come into question.

First, I will not even bother to answer your questions. :rolleyes: Do not ask me what I don't understand or do ...as if to say that if I did know the reasoning behind it I would be 100% agreeable! That's not always the case. In this case, I know enough about mahrams for me to say that I don't agree with the concept.

;)

correct me if i'm wrong, but what about the hadith that the prophet said something with the meaning that time will come women will travel from yemen to makkah alone afraid nothing but the wild animals, and the narrator said i have seen that happen, why did not he mention the mahram?

just to to say that there is diffrent between mar'ah and mar'u.the first means woman while the second means person,and i think the hadith is refering to second one.

Gediid   

Libaax same thing here ,I just dont know why or how we as Muslims can bring into debate sacrosanct laws.I hope some people are not out to prove their intellectual and debating prowess at the expense of Islam.

bilan   

salaam

this is what i found from islamonline.net, and it makes sense, it is long but it is worth to read

The Travel Of A Woman Without A Mahram

Date of Reply 23/ March/ 2000

Question of Fatwa I am intending to continue my graduate studies in the USA next year Inshaallah in Dramatic Writing -a major that the Muslims all around the world badly need. But the problem is that I have no "Valid" Mahram to come along with me. My only accompanist is my friend at the university

Content of Reply The principle in Sharia is that a woman is not to travel by herself; rather, it is obligatory upon her to have as her companion her husband or a mahram. This ruling is founded on what was reported by Al-Bukhari and others from Ibn Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) that Allah’s Messenger (pbuh) said: “A woman is not to travel except with a mahram and a man is not to enter upon her except if she has a mahram.”

And it is narrated by way of Abu Hurairah that: “It is not permissible for a woman who believes in Allah and the Last Day to travel a distance for one day and one night without a mahram with her.” Abu Saeed narrated that the Prophet (pbuh) said: “A woman is not to travel a distance for two days without her husband or mahram with her.” And Ibn Umar narrated that: “She is not to travel for three nights, except if she has a mahram.”

Apparently the differences in narrations are because of the different petitioners and questions in which answers were given to them. Abu Hanifah preferred the last Hadith of Ibn Umar and was of the opinion that a mahram is not needed except in travels in which prayers are shortened (also reported by Ahmad). These hadiths include all types of travel, whether or not it is necessary, like visiting, trading, seeking knowledge, or anything else.

The basis for this ruling is not an evil assumption about the woman and her manners, as some people unreasonably think, but it is to take care of her reputation and dignity. It is to protect her from the desires of those who have diseased hearts, from the assault of a rapist or a thief. And this is even more so in places that the traveler must pass through, like deadly deserts, in a time when there is no sense of security, and where the places are unpopulated.

But what is the ruling on a woman, who does not find a mahram to accompany her in a legitimate travel, whether obligatory, preferred or permitted? And there is within her reach a group of protective men, or trustworthy faithful woman, and the streets are safe? The jurists have researched this topic whenever they discussed the obligation of hajj upon women, and they kept in mind the Messenger’s (pbuh) prohibition of a woman traveling without a mahram. Their thoughtful opinions include the following:

1. Among them are those who hold on to what is apparent from the mentioned hadiths, they prohibit traveling without a mahram, even for the obligation of hajj. And there is no exception to this rule.

2. There are those who make an exception for older woman with no desire, as has been transmitted from AI-Qaady Bin AI-Waleed Al-Yaajee, from the Maliki madhab. It is especially for women in general if we look at the meaning as was said by Ibn Daqeeq AI-Eid.

3. Some of them make the exception that as long as the woman is with trustworthy and faithful women, then the travel is permissible. Furthermore, some conclude that it is enough for just one free trustworthy and faithful Muslim woman.

4. And some concluded that the roadway must be safe. This is the opinion that was chosen by Sheikh ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah. He mentioned that Ibn Muflih in Al-Faroo' said: “Every woman can perform hajj without a mahram as long as she will be safe.” And he said: “This is directed towards every travel in obedience... Al-Karabeesee transmitted this from Ash-Shafi’i pertaining to the supererogatory hajj. And some of his companions also said this about supererogatory hajj and about every travel that is not obligatory, like visiting and trading.”

The proof of the permissibility of a woman traveling without a mahram is incumbent upon there being security and the presence of trustworthy faithful people. What was reported by Al-Bukhari is that during the final hajj of Umar Bin Al-Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him), he gave permission to the wives of the Prophet (pbuh) to perform hajj. So he sent with them Uthman Bin Affan and Abdul Rahman. Umar, Uthman, Abdul-Rahman Bin Awf and the wives of the Prophet (pbuh) all agreed to this. None of the other companions rejected what they did and therefore this is considered to be consensus.

Second is what was reported by AI-Bukhari and Muslim from the Hadith of Ada Bin Haatim is that the Prophet (pbuh) told him about the future of Islam, its spreading, and its light going throughout the earth. Among what he mentioned is: “The day is near when a young woman will travel from AI-Hira (a city in Iraq), going to the Sacred House with no husband accompanying her. She will fear none but Allah.” This information does not only prove that this will happen it, but proves its permissibility, because it was mentioned in a phrase praising the spread of Islam along with its sense of security.

Here I will state two additionally important precepts. The first is that the basis of rulings on acts of dealings is to focus on their meanings and purposes. This is the opposite of rulings on acts of worship. This is because the basis of acts of worship is just to worship and obey, before focusing in on their meanings and purposes, as was firmly established by Imam Ash-Shatiby, who clarified this and verified it with proofs.

The second is that prohibited things are not permitted except if there is a dire need. And things that are prohibited so that they can be an obstruction to evil are permitted during times of need. And there is no doubt that the prohibition of a woman traveling without a mahram is prohibited so that it can be an obstruction to evil.

It is incumbent upon us to look at traveling in our time. It is not like how traveling was in the past. It is not filled with the dangers of the waterless deserts, encounters with thieves, highway robbers, etc. Now traveling is by various modes of transportation that usually gather large amounts of people at a time, like ships, airplanes, buses or cars that travel in caravans. Thus, this provides plenty of confidence and reliability, removing feelings of fear for the woman, because she will not be by herself in any place.

This is why there is no objection for the woman to perform hajj within this safe environment, which will provide all the necessary security and contentment. And with Allah is the success.

hukri   

Thanks bulo!...but I still really don't have all the concrete answers I'd like to have...mean I want more of the yes or no answers...and then maybe go into depth on why...

bilan   

salaam

you are all welcome sisters, shukri sis i do not have the knowledge to give that kind of answer,maybe others can,but what i understood from this fatwa was as long as woman is travelling with group of people they can travell if it is neccessary,and no one has the right to deny woman to go to the haj because she does not have a mahram.

Adna   

salaam

here some in for that i found about this situation i hope it will help and it sasys clearly it's haram so here it goes.

The principle in Sharia is that a woman is not to travel by herself; rather, it is obligatory upon her to have as her companion her husband or a mahram. This ruling is founded on what was reported by Al-Bukhari and others from Ibn Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) that Allah’s Messenger (pbuh) said: “A woman is not to travel except with a mahram and a man is not to enter upon her except if she has a mahram.”

c And it is narrated by way of Abu Hurairah that: “It is not permissible for a woman who believes in Allah and the Last Day to travel a distance for one day and one night without a mahram with her.” Abu Saeed narrated that the Prophet (pbuh) said: “A woman is not to travel a distance for two days without her husband or mahram with her.”

slaam

Adna   

salaam

ooooooooooooooops didn't know that bulo posted the same as i did..... man did i search that or what,,,. should have read it before taking some time to find info. but any ways it's all good .. love ya'll.

p.s shukri what more info u wana hear then, if u can't take hathiith from our beloved prophet mohamed. ? i could be wrong but i think it says clearly that it's haram traveling with out a mahram i can't say yes or not but that is my understanding from the fatawa. please don't feel ofeneded if u do don't take it personal. i just wanted to help. love ya'll

originally posted by shukri

Does that mean that it is acceptable to travel on your own :confused:

Nur, I'm still waiting for you to try and answer my lil questions :( [/QB] Abaayo, here also what I found. It may shed a light on what is asking for:

Title of Fatwa: Women Traveling without Mahram

Date of Fatwa: 31/ March/ 2003

Date of Reply: 31/ March/ 2003

Topic Of Fatwa: The Travel Of A Woman Without A Mahram

Question of Fatwa: Dear scholars, As-Salamu `alaykum.

What are the rulings concerning the woman’s taking permission of the husband if she wants to leave the house and her traveling without a Mahram (husband or close male relative)? Jazakum Allah khayran.

Name of Mufti: European Council for Fatwa and Research

Content of Reply: Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His sake.

Islam cares for the dignity and honor of woman. Because of her weakness and vulnerability to being targeted by vile men, Islam is keen to close the doors to such situations by insisting that a woman should not travel long distances or stay away from home by herself unless she has taken adequate safeguards in order to ensure her own protection.

Answering your question, the European Council for Fatwa and Research states:

“1. The ruling concerning the woman’s taking permission on leaving home:

It is incumbent on the woman to inform her husband when she wants to go outside her home. However, the woman’s leaving her house to work, study or run errands for the home and the children does not require but a general consent on the part of the husband, and the wife does not have to ask permission every time. The matter is subject to common tradition. If the wife’s going out of the house is to visit a family not known to the husband, or if her going out entails staying overnight outside the house, the permission of the husband become necessary. If the husband refuses, the woman shall not go out. Muslim morality also requires that the husband should tell his wife if he wants to travel or stay overnight outside the house, for she has the right to know her husband’s whereabouts when he is absent from home.

2. The ruling regarding a woman’s travel without a mahram

This is primarily unlawful according to the hadith of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him): “A woman who believes in Allah and the Hereafter shall not travel for (a period of) a day and a night unless accompanied by a mahram of hers.” (Reported by al-Bukhari and Muslim)

Depending on this general text, some scholars are of the opinion that a woman should not travel by herself. Other scholars stipulate that her travel is permissible in the company of a trustworthy group of men or men and women. The prohibition conveyed by the hadith is justified by fearing that the woman may be exposed to mischief or temptation if she travels alone, bearing in mind that the dangers of travel were numerous in the past. Caliph `Umar ibn al-Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) allowed the Prophet’s wives (Mothers of the Believers) to travel for Hajj with a group of believers and sent with them `Uthman ibn `Affan and `Abdul-Rahman ibn `Auf.

In the hadith of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) to `Adiy ibn Hatim we read: “If you live long, you will see the woman travel from Hirah (a city in Iraq) to circumambulate the Ka`bah fearing none but Allah.” (Reported by al-Bukhari)

This confirms that the cause (of the prohibition) is fear (of insecurity). If security is guaranteed and fear is no more present, a woman may travel, particularly nowadays when travel has become easy, whether by air, train or coach. In all these means of transportation, company is available and security is realized for the Muslim woman.

This is in respect of the woman’s travel from one town to another or from one country to another and her arrival on the same day of her travel, whereupon she finds company providing security. If the journey requires staying overnight in a hotel on the way, or the journey is intended to perform a certain task that requires residence for a certain period, the woman, in this case, is supposed primarily to travel with a mahram of hers, or reside for the required period with a Muslim family in that country to avoid the likelihood of temptation or mischief the woman may face.

Finally, the Council urges parents to bring up their daughters and the husbands to educate their wives according to the guidance of Allah, for a Muslim woman will certainly follow the guidance of Allah steadfastly if she has received her due amount of education and instruction and has learned the rulings and rules of Shari`ah and has comprehended her religion.”

Do keep in touch. If you have any other question, don't hesitate to write to us.

Allah Almighty knows best.

NinBrown   

Salama calaykum

I think the question from sister Shukri has been anwsered so i Wont...but i will point out to OPINIATED is that what its been talked about here is not from some philosopther or a socioligist or some nobody opinion..its the rulings from the prophet SAW.. and as mentioned above islam is a religion of all times, all people and all generations..so when you say an statement such as

'In this case, I know enough about mahrams for me to say that I don't agree with the concept.'

...is wrong because following the laws of the Messenger who has been sent to us, namely the Final Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), who was sent to all of mankind. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you (O Muhammad) judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept (them) with full submission”[al-Nisa’ 4:65]

I hope you understand the concept now..i realise your NICK is opiniated..but there are certain things like faith which you should not bring into deripute.