Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Sh. Sharif at his best--many thanks to BBC

Abtigiis   

Brofossore, we were in the same line and when I see the flock dewindle, it concerns me. Anyway, jibbo (wuu jibboday - means he goes with emotion). I actually was pulling your leg. Nothing serious.

Paragon   

Originally posted by Thierry.:

Mashallah very well spoken Sh Sharif is perhaps the only leader that is acceptable to Somalis from all spectrums.

quote:

Hadaba iga qor: If the Ethiopians leave within 120 days as stated, I will not only eat my words, but do so happily.

Kashafa I welcome your new stance lets weight patiently for the next 120 days what ever he outcome it is a win win situation for the resistance.

Scenario A: The Ethiopian leave and the objective of the resistance has been achieved.

Scenario B: The stay and all support will go behind the resistance.

PS Siyad, Yey and their likes days are numbered, the future belongs to the young Sh Sharif and his crew of young, intelligent, moderates whose aim is to implement Sharia in the long run.
Stop dreaming, D smile.gif .

I grant you that the Sheikh has spoken diplomatically well, as is usual with him, but I have some reservations about his promises on the deal. One thing I'll say is that if Ethiopia happens to leave today, they'll come back tomorrow. A man begged to leave for pity's sake will be back any time he desires, as opposed to a man forcefully expelled. The good sheikh's short-termist politician.

You watch and learn.

Thierry.   

Adiga magic badal badanida

You have point if they are forcefully expelled they wont come back easily into Somali soil again. But remember they said they would be out in 2 weeks and now we are almost coming to the end of the second year. I believe they have faced a stiff resistance and will leave limping. It is not out of pity that they will be leaving but out of desperation their imperialistic dreams are shattered.

The good Sheikh is indeed very wise he has used the resistance as a major bargaining tool. Remember they were about to walk out, when the UN and US rushed to declare the 120 day withdrawal. The US had the choice of settling for his demands or seeing Somalia fall into the hands of Al Shabaab (and believe you me the will do everything in their power to prevent that happening)

The Sheikh wants solve the deep rotted enmity between Somalis and come back and fight another day with equal men and military hardware. After all this is his long term goal is to establish Sharia in greater Somalia which partly is occupied by Ethiopia.

The fact that the world is concerned of the plight of our people and which indeed triggered the start and pursuit of this negotiation, first spearheaded by the PM NUR CADe and then reinforced by the UN special envoy for Somalia and Sheikh Sharrif, have led many to translate it as a manifestation of weakness and unconditional surrender.

Somali political analyst like Prof. Weinstein was quick to point out this, thereby discrediting some of the provisions of the Peace Accord. But what does this little-known Mr. Weinstein desperately wants to happen after this accord. It is simple to figure that out. He wants to create an irreversible rift between the 'Liberation Alliance' group and the Al-shabab spokespersons. He wants to severe all ties between the parties to the agreement and the concerned international community. He wants to prolong the suffering and misery of our people both inside and outside Somalia in the hope of seeing the TFG crumble before our eyes. But the TFG has survived many instances of failed attempts that threatened its very quest for legitimacy, reconciliation and the promotion of peace.

Emperor   

The Shariif was very convincing articulate and on to the point, I was more intrigued and mostly amazed or attracted by the time he gave the Somali people to answer their quarries than the answers...

I reiterate my earlier point, this guy has a great future and the potential to become one of Somalia's most memorable leaders of this disasterous era... Seeing his overall popularity and self composor what drives most of his opponents within the ARS are envy, hate-mongering and selfishness, they see him taking their most precious Jago they yearned for many years

Originally posted by Kashafa:

Reminds me of all the swooning that accompanied Obama-mania(AIPAC..sigh).

Jumped off ship already Kash? I thought we were on the same team. Even thought I understand where you are comming from, I think Kash may have vacated the zone too soon. :D Call it Obama's "first pandering" or whatever, but his comments at AIPAC have opened up what appears to be a ritualistic reminder from "doubters" that Obama is just not who we think he is. :D I disagree. Either way you look at it, McSame won't be a better alternative if there is any.

As for the topic, I think some of the comments on this thread capture the same sense of apathy as that of the "big belly" boys who cheer for an endless war over a peaceful compromise at fadhi-kudirir Cafes.

Let us give Shariif a chance ... that is my take on this.

^^Let us give Sharif a chance.....

Castro, Sharif’s discussion will make a difference in the way this agreement is defended and promoted. His reasoning will convince many folks who continue to sit on the sidelines of this tragic Somali saga. While many just do and die, some feel the need to ponder, think, plan and execute. And if you listened between the lines of this interview, as it were, the central theme of Sharifs’ discussion was his clear focus on the big picture of Somali conflict. That’s why he chose to articulate the agreement he signed in a strategic framework of transitioning the country, and buying time to remove Somalia as a whole from other nations sphere of influence.

If you still remain a doubter, let me leave you, and Kashafa, with this little anecdote.

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a figure in the distance. As he got closer, he realized the figure was that of a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean. Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?” The youth replied, “throwing starfish in the ocean. The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them in, they will die.” “Son, “ the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t possibly make a difference.”

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said, “I made a difference for that one.”

Sharif, with all the nay-sayers shouting at him from near and afar, latched onto his mission of making a difference for the millions of Somalis who suffer as a result of this civil war, adeer. If he succeeds, it's a win for all of us. If he fails in this one, he will try again, I am sure, to reach out again, and again till somalia is peaceful again.

Castro   

Yes, let us give the good Sheikh a chance. But the Djibouti agreement has very little chance: it was literally back to the drawing board from the moment it was signed. I'm just a little afraid the good Sheikh is being used by those who see his value for reasons different to those that we do.

Inshallah khayr.

Edit: Did I mention I welcome and support this agreement? But only in so far as it is viable and feasible given the circumstances on the ground. Closer scrutiny will force you to reach the same conclusion atheer.

N.O.R.F   

The Shiekh was basically answering questions posted in this forum after last week’s agreement and a good job he did at that. I like the part when he stated that there is resistance through fighting and resistance through politics.

Paragon, Castro and Kashafa, it is time to play ‘the game’ gents. The game of politics for another 120 days or so. Much will be aired in the coming months, much will be said, discussed and a lot of finger pointing will occur. Jostling for position, seeking favours, sympathy and support among other nations will be the prime objective of the opposition.

Let’s be patient and hope for a positive outcome.

AYOUB   

Right or wrong, I believe Sheekh Sharif has the people's best interest at heart. It's regrettable he did not convince the rest of the "alliance" before setting off to Djibouti. Then again, he might not have made it to Djibouti if he tried too hard. :D Ethio troop withdrawal is a positive move - and doesn't matter if it's a face-saving pull-out. Sheekh Sharif believes the whole equation changes if there is no Ethio muscle behind the warlords let's hope he's right. If the pull-out does happen, the people might at least be able to come to the streets and demand what they want - be it Shariah or war crimes trials.

N.O.R.F   

^^He was very canny in not answering the war crimes question. I'm sure he doesn't want them (war criminals) to try and do a runner just yet :D

-Lily-   

The Sheik sounded sane which is more than you can say for most Somali politicians.

I’m just disturbed by those who continue to call for fighting from their comfy screen desks, going about their every day tasks, their families safely living decent lives outside Somalia. When your children are being blown apart, regardless if it is by Resistance fighters or TFG or Ethiopian troops, you have little time to worry about ideals & principles. We should give whatever works a chance and worry about the details later on. Even if it has the slightest chance of success we should have hope.

Baashi   

Sweet! Welcome on dirrin board :D . Give it a try, it might work. Dirrin proponents of SOL’s optimism carried the day :D .

How sweet it is to hear him invoke Hudeibiyah treaty -- a clear precedent -- as a justification for negotiating peace!!! How sweet! That salvo was for the enlightened folks’ consumption. As for the rest he seemed to be saying that they deliberated on the issue and reached the conclusion that ‘house divided against itself cannot stand’.

I dare say it is highly unlikely for having blue helmets deployed within the timeframe spelled out in the agreed text. Sharif made a huge mistake for not making clear that the 120 days is not a feasible timeframe and that clause is not a make or break clause. There will be logistical hiccups associated with UN troops deployement. He and his wing need to be flexible on the timing issue. Awoowe whatever it takes to evict Tigre mercenaries should be the motto.

How many of the warmongers in the house are for extending the timeframe if doing so will attain the ultimate goal -- evicting the Tigre out of Somali soil?