Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Sh. Sharif at his best--many thanks to BBC

This is by far the most advanced and solid argument anyone can ever muster to defend and promote the recent Jabbuuti agreement between Alliance and TFG. Cool, calm, articulate, visionary, confident and firm, and above all, well-conversant with Islamic history. That’s Sh. Sharif at his best. He takes calls, emotional calls, sits through one hour of grilling interrogations about why he entered and signed an agreement with the TFG. He faces not only angry callers, but also the tough Yusuf Garaad of BBC, and he handles both with exceptional intelligence and analytical rigor.

Among the things the good Sharif considers include;

1- Where Somalia is at today.

2- 18 years of civil war.

3- What the future could look like absence of agreement

4- International involvement.

He calls this agreement a triumph of peace. The fact the world supports Ethiopian withdrawal is a cause for celebration. He says. He admits the risk inherent in this agreement. Why some Somalis ally themselves with Ethiopia and give them legal cover for her invasion? A caller asks. That’s because, the good Sheikh calmly explains, Somalis are divided and don’t trust each other. These men who brought Ethiopia to our land need our help, the good Sheikh says, to save them and the country! The greatest win this Alliance can ever muster is to bring about complete Ethiopian withdrawal. And that is what this agreement could deliver. We must create a political and security environment/conditions where Somali unity and harmony can be possible again. And to do that, the good Sheikh says, we must compromise! Yaa Allah. That yaa Jammaacah is the man I want to lead Somalia. He hits all the right nodes with his unmatched eloquence. False parallels…he dismisses them all. Political conspiracies…he commits them to the flames. Assertions of Ethiopian being defeated…he just lets that one slip without agreeing to it. Siyyaasi and raggeedii at that!

Those who are after dabodhilifs and want to continue the fight even after Ethiopia withdraws will not like Sharifs take on that. What do they want (his own words), Sharif asks? To which Yusuf Garaad replies; we shall ask them to answer that question! When an angry Hargaysawi reminds Sheikh Sharif about Courts' hesitancy to reach agreement with TFG and the old man when the Courts were in a much stronger position than they are today, the Sheikh responds with a rhetorical question: do you think our previous position was better than our current stance? What about Accountability, a young emotional caller from Galkacyo asks the Sheikh? We will eventually get there…the Sheikh assures the caller.

Jammaacah, listen to Sheikh Sharif, and see to it to report us back if the good Sheikh makes sense to you.

PS…apologies for those who don’t speak Somali.

Sh. Sharif at his best

Castro   

Xiin, the good Sheikh says if the Ethiopians withdraw in the 120 days as agreed, there's no reason to fight. If not, the fight continues. I'm not sure what you heard that made you so excited.

The burden of implementing the bulk of this agreement, the Sheikh recognizes, is on the International Community and the UN in convincing the Ethiopians to withdraw. Now, the sponsors of this agreement (the West) have and continue to support Ethiopia. It may be this is their way of saving face and asking the Ethiopians to do the same.

This agreement, as one caller to the show indicated, is no different than what Meles has been saying all along: that he would withdraw his troops when UN troops replace them. Except now they have put an unrealistic date on such withdrawal.

The Sheikh is still good but he said little that was epiphany or euphoria inducing.

Kashafa   

^^ Just listened to the interview and choose to withhold my comments....don't wanna ruin your feel-good vibe, waa kuu jeedaa waad jidbaysantahay. Reminds me of all the swooning that accompanied Obama-mania(AIPAC..sigh). Ilaahay khayr haka dhigo, and may your disillusionment be a gentle gradual awakening instead of the jarring jolt I see coming.

Hunguri   

The best leader ever in Somalia. He is one in million. A wise,calm,out spoken,charismatic leader!. May Allah help him!

Fabregas   

@Warya Kashafa, this is a mashallah/clap hands thread! Sheikh Shariff is Nelson Mandela, Allahu Akbar, dee! :D

Anyone who disagrees with the good Sheikh is emotional, confused and cyber a Jihadist who wants to see a continuation( from the diaspora) of the war in Mudqdisho.

As for the so-called peace deal, there is no need to argue about the same thing endlessly. Suffice it to say Ulema and Resistance groups will make their positions clear on the Djibouti accords. We'll see marka waxay ay dhahan!

^ then i will apologize in advance for spoiling this love fest but the good sh. has lost all credibility with that worthless piece of sh!t deal ... and he has the gall to be still defending it.

I missed that program in the BBC but i'm sure he did well as i heard from many ppl. That doesn't mean i agree everything with him.

Kashafa   

Wayxaka yaa Barafasoor :D

Hadaba iga qor: If the Ethiopians leave within 120 days as stated, I will not only eat my words, but do so happily. Some of us, keen students of realpolitik, simply do not have the luxury of baseless optimism. Were it so easy to expel the Ethiopians. Were it so easy to put Humpty-Dumpty back together. Were it so easy to be a populist demagogue, telling a war-weary country what they want to hear, soothing their ears with rosy words of peace, tranquility, and dowladnimo.

Oh were it so easy. Hayhaat!

Hal mid ka fakar: Do you want a clean break with the past ? A meritocratic Somalia ? A Somalia where you fear no man but the Almighty Creator alone.

Or do you want Siad Barre 2.0 ?

Xiin iyo asxaabtiisa(ilaahay ha soo hadeeyo), waxay wadaan waa a retooled, updated, barely palatable Siad Barre 2.0, Waa hadee runta la isku sheegaayo. Question is, Can Somalia afford another Siad Barre regime ? Another 30 years of 'peace and stability', where scholars are shot dead, cities jet-bombed, wells poisoned, innocents disappear in the middle of the night, followed by all-out civil war. Some peace that. Will you, Barafasoor, as a Somali Muslim, be content, in laguugu qanciyo ninac iyo shukalaato, like a few paltry chairs in an Ethiopian-beholden Parliment, or the PM chair in a puppet goverment ?

No, my brother. We suffer today, so that we prosper tomorrow. A permanent(inshallah) lasting peace. We starve today, so that we eat our fill tomorrow. We fight today, so that our children and their children do not have to go through the horrors of the past 30 years.

A New Somalia ? or Siad Barre 2.0

Your ball, play it well, homes, play for keeps.

Anytime you find yourself getting all jidbo'tised by Shaykh Shariif or Shaykh Xiin's hypnotising words, just remember this here quote:

Those who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

Benjamin Franklin

another version:

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to
purchase
a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Abtigiis   

Brofossore Geljire warkaagu waayahan waa ila-liqaa!! let us hope it is an anomaly. Bal jibbo ah unbaa ilaahay kugu saliday.

Thierry.   

Mashallah very well spoken Sh Sharif is perhaps the only leader that is acceptable to Somalis from all spectrums.

Hadaba iga qor: If the Ethiopians leave within 120 days as stated, I will not only eat my words, but do so happily.

Kashafa I welcome your new stance lets weight patiently for the next 120 days what ever he outcome it is a win win situation for the resistance.

Scenario A: The Ethiopian leave and the objective of the resistance has been achieved.

Scenario B: The stay and all support will go behind the resistance.

PS Siyad, Yey and their likes days are numbered, the future belongs to the young Sh Sharif and his crew of young, intelligent, moderates whose aim is to implement Sharia in the long run.

Fabregas   

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tolka:

Brofossore Geljire warkaagu waayahan waa ila-liqaa!! let us hope it is an anomaly. Bal jibbo ah unbaa ilaahay kugu saliday.

bal maxad iga ratba? Focus on the issues at hand, bro! Don't worry about cyber posters! :D

ps. wth is jibbo?