Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

In aid of Somali Orphans: Sisters Fundraising Event

Malika   

^Maya. Well,I found myself in a shaash saar on Saturday night,nice food and atmosphere. I am sure the family was wondering who I was,especially how anticipative I was on the dance floor. :D , I just tagged along a friend's friend. redface.gif

Oh,well.

NGONGE   

^^ How come in my long life on this earth I have not come across a bride sareer la saaray? Are you pulling my leg there, Dumaashi?

Ibtisam   

^^Nope I swear. The girls will tell you soon enough. redface.gif

P.s. BEcause you don't really mix with somalis and if you do, you keep to family.

P.s. Reer Burco are too ilbaax, or baadow to do any such thing. Thank the lord.

Fabregas   

aren't they usually womens events? were all the women get up and perform a ritual by putting a scarf or something on the women/bride?

nuune   

Ngonge, shaash saar usually happens one week after the aroos, waa todobaad bax, after labada is aroostey ay soo daaleen, and all women with the exception of girls would come to the aroosada gurigeeda, and put all their shaashs(ganbo or whatever they have in their heads) on top of the women's head untill it builds up to a mountain :D

NGONGE   

^^ Never heard of it done by Somalis (by others yes but never Somalis). You live and learn I supppose. So, nuune, how does the 'sareer sar' one work? :D

nuune   

^^ lol@sariir saar, lets wait for Ibtisaam since she came up with that term, never heard of Sariir Saar, yaaba u baahan in sariir la isa saaro, dadku ma curyaamiin baa :D

Haneefah   

^ :D . Acuudhubillah. I've heard of a jaahili custom that used to be common in the North which freaked me out as well, perhaps that's what she was referring to.

Ibti, honey,well done! Barakallau feekum for the wonderful event I am just finding out about; it takes a tremendous effort to pull these types of events together, so may Allah reward you all and benefit those for whom the funds are intended.

old man- Tossing the bride@ the matrimonial bed? Yes

Ahh todobaad bax…all round fun, better than the wedding if you ask me..

p.s custom surrounding todobaad bax apparently dictates that;

1.) Bride +Groom should not be seen in public for 7 days.

2.) A family member will drop in occasionally to bring them food/clean the house for 7 days.

3.) You can kinda guess what their meant to do in those 7 days.

4.) they Bride has her todobaad bax where the women surround her with shaash… blessing of some sort is issued/ mess up her hair and proceed with some serious buranbuur session. * All this takes place @ the bride’s family home.

Or did someone lie to me?

Malika   

^LOL,honeymoon somali style dhe!

Ngonge,shaash saar is an initiation of the young bride to the status of a 'married woman'. If you remember in the past young women didnt wear scarfs,only married women did.Traditionaly the shaash is only worn by married women,and during this initiation,its only those still married to their first husband get to be the first to put the scarf on the young brides head.Raaliyo kind women are encouraged to put scarves on the bride,and those two/three time married are no so encouraged..lol

There would be buraanbuur singing,eating of xalwo iyo macmacaan..oh,also some uunsi burning session,pleanty of dua's.

Ibti,do reer burco do the xeer fuurka so mahaa? How do you feel about that one,I actually think that one is more explicit and rather rude.

Ms DD   

Sariir saar weligey ma maqlin..but it sounds great/fun...(oh is it with audience though? cos that could put the spanner into works)

Shaash saar should be done by the ultimate raalliyo whose husband is so pleased with......if there are any left. Which perhpas explains the divorce rate among our communty.