Sign in to follow this  
MoonLight1

Siyad Bare: A Dictator or a Dear Leader?

Paragon   

He was simply in the middle of corruption and chaos. The corruption was so disgusting that the military junta had to act, but then again the dictatorship got so disgusting that the civilians (warlords) had to act. And then the chaos so disgusting that the short-trousered lot had to act...

We are there.

Originally posted by J11:

The corruption was so disgusting that the military junta had to act

Jamaaloow, corruption actually became the most disgusting during Siyaad Barre. Corruption is what ultimately destroyed Siyaad's goverment. loool.

Paragon   

^I am considering all his time in power (from day one) as dictatorship. Not a good thing.

EDIT:

LST: Nothing left the scene. Corruption, dictatorship and even chaos will still present ingredients. Any strong government will have inherited these things once it's in full power.

Gabbal   

Siyaad Barre inherited a young, stable fledgling democracy full of hope and promise. The day Siyaad left Gedo and went to Nigeria, there was nothing left of that country.

Libaax, I was recently sent a just declassified CIA report to the US government on the eve of the 1969 revolution. What if I were to tell you Somalia in 1969 at the time of the coup was exactly what it was in 1991 but the only difference in outcome is due to the fact in 1969 there was a single no-tribal body (the army) that took over preventing tribal tensions from being realized whereas in 1991 there were a multitude of clan factions vying for power that realized the tribal tensions.

Siad Barre did not inherit a fledgling democracy. He inherited a broken system that was imploding on itself. Read the last paragraphi of this CIA report on October 21, 1969 and tell me if it does not describe the Somalia of 1991 and the Somalia of today. ;)

Once you read that observation, ponder on the time when Siad was called "Mr President" and he responded "I am not a president, I am the guard of Lazareti (Somalia's main mental asylum)." I certainly have a different perspective now.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/54644.pdf

Jamaaloow, combination is the key here and I think we all agree.

I don't believe Somalia in the 1960s was more "corrupt" than present Kenya. Adde, Sharmarke and Egal and Abdirashid were not more corrupt than the average politicians. If progress wasn't halted by dictatorship, the nation would have been on full sprint towards development. Dictatorship coupled with severe corruption destroyed minds, halted ambitions, delayed progress and left a horrible legacy of unprecedented chaos for future generations.

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Libaax-Sankataabte:

I don't believe Somalia in the 1960s was more "corrupt" than present Kenya.

Are you a historian now Libaax? From everything I have read, Somalia in the 60's was the most corrupt nation in Africa. What explains a man like Bidde saying I am 35 with 35 million shillings?

Are we now reinventing history and denying why the populace flocked to the streets in jubilation on the eve of the revolution?

Here are some excerpts to refresh your memory:

60s4.jpg

60s1.jpg

A quote from the next excerpt in the first paragraph; "Somali corruption astounded even Afrophiles" (people who would normally not be shocked by corruption)

Apostolopoulos.jpg

Let us not repaint history my friend Libaax, even if it might have been a time hailed as a clan heyday.

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Libaax-Sankataabte:

Corruption = Kenya

Dictatorship = Zimbabwe

Chaos = Somalia.

Pick one boys, and run with it.
:D:D

lol...libaax...waa su'aal da' weyn oo madaxa daalineysa! I think Kenya would be the best option though!

J11, brother how do you explain nin dadkiisii diyaaradihii dagaalka ee canshuurtooda uu ku soo gaday inuu ku difaaco ku laayey just to stay in power? reer-guuraaga ay cidda uu ka soo jeedo reer-guuraagooda ay dagaalaan(illeen reer baadiye waa dagaalaaye) inta xoolahooda dhaco, ragga qaarna la laayo qaarna la xiro, dumarka la kufsado, berkedaha biyaha ay cabaan ku shubtaan MIINO lagu xiro oo la qarxiyo. Is that what happened in 60s?

Inkastoon aamminsanahay in 60-kii musuqmaasuq gaamuray uu jirey haddana markii uu xukunka yimid 7dii sano ee ugu horreysey Siyaad (AUN) waa fiicnaa wixii ka dambeeyeyse dadka Soomaaliyeed iyo dalkii uu dhisayba isagaa burburiyey iyo wixii ka ag dhowaa ee la shaqayn jirey. Is-aaminid la'aanta iyo qabyaaladda waalan ee dadku caadeystey isagaa Soomaali u horseeday baan qabaa! Wixii ka dambeeyeyna lagama sheekayn karo oo waan wada ognahay halka xaal marayo.

So hilmaanka dhow halla iska daayo iyo saint buu ahaa, Saint hadduu ahaa Soomaaliya silic ugama tageen. Inuusan lacag xadin, inuu ahaa nin aan shisheeyaha dhulkiisa u oggolayn inay siday rabaan ka yeelaan waa lagu ammaani karaa.

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Abwaan:

Is-aaminid la'aanta iyo qabyaaladda waalan ee dadku caadeystey isagaa Soomaali u horseeday baan qabaa!

Jaahilnimada Soomaalidu salaysay astanteedu ninkaan baa matala. Adeer nin wayn baa tahay gola ayaanad dhex fadhidaa, waxmagaradka waxay aqaladoodu ku sheekeystaan mar danbe rag halasoo hor fadhiisan. Waana iga talo. smile.gif

Gabbal, you have posted a news briefing article which shows hints that Siyaad may have been plotting to overthrow the government way before the actual date. :D Not much else is there awoowe. Somali tribes were armed to the teeth since the era of the Mad Mullah.

Yes corruption was there, but whatever that was there became nothing after Siyaad Barre introducted his brand of corruption. :D

Your spin is noted! Having said that, I would stay away from clan accusations in this discussion awoowe.

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Gabbal:

quote:Originally posted by Abwaan:

Is-aaminid la'aanta iyo qabyaaladda waalan ee dadku caadeystey isagaa Soomaali u horseeday baan qabaa!

Jaahilnimada Soomaalidu salaysay astanteedu ninkaan baa matala. Adeer nin wayn baa tahay gola ayaanad dhex fadhidaa, waxmagaradka waxay aqaladoodu ku sheekeystaan mar danbe rag halasoo hor fadhiisan. Waana iga talo.
smile.gif
Gabbal waan ka xumahay in qabyaalad meel kula xannuuntay oo runtu ku dhibayso haddii aad caqliga iyo aqoonta aad ku faanayso leedahayna dadka ma aflagaadeyseen ee si karti ku jirto ayaad fikraddaada u dhiiban lahayd.

Hakugu taagnaato!

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Abwaan:

iyo wixii ka ag dhowaa ee la shaqayn jirey.

ugama jeedo dadka ay isku beesha yihiin balse Soomaali meeshay doonaan haka yimaadeene, kaadiriintii Kacaanka oo dhan iyadoo sida la hubo ayaandarrada jirta kuwa 19kii sano ee la soo dhaafay iyo maanta Soomaali horboodayana ay ka buuxaan.

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Gabbal:

Waxaad tahaan aqaan iyo waxaad u taagantahay!

lol...ok Mr yaqaanne! ha iska sii deyn!