Sign in to follow this  
Viking

Women 'get blame for being raped'

Viking   

2005/11/24 00:35:53 GMT

Rape case collapses over consent

A rape case has collapsed after a 21-year-old student said that she had been too drunk to remember whether or not she had agreed to have sex .

The woman had alleged she was raped by fellow student Ruairi Dougal in a hall of residence at Aberystwyth University.

But High Court judge Justice Roderick Evans directed the jury to reach a not guilty verdict, on the basis that drunken consent is still consent.

Mr Dougal, 20, had told the Swansea court that the sex was consensual.

The woman said she passed out after drinking too much.

Swansea Crown Court heard on Wednesday, that the woman alleged that Mr Dougal, from County Donegal in the Republic of Ireland, had raped her in a corridor outside her room in the halls.

She told the court that she was sure she would not have consented, and if she had wanted sex she would have opened her flat door and taken the man into her bedroom.

But defence barrister Stephen Rees argued it was impossible for her to be sure she had not consented because she could not remember.

After she gave evidence, Huw Rees for the prosecution said he was abandoning the case.

Judge Mr Justice Roderick Evans then instructed the jury to find Mr Dougal not guilty.

During the case, the jury had heard how the female student drank vodkas before attending a party at the arts centre on the university's campus.

She became ill and a member of staff asked Mr Dougal, who was working as a security guard, to walk her home.

She told the court she could remember little else apart from lying on the corridor floor and briefly emerging from unconsciousness to be aware "that something was happening".

Drunken consent

The woman complained to police two days after the alleged attack, but it was not until police interviewed Mr Dougal that she was told that she had had full sexual intercourse, the court heard.

"The prosecution has taken stock, in light of the evidence revealed in cross examination," said Huw Rees.

"The question of consent is an essential part of the case. Drunken consent is still consent.

"She said she could not remember giving consent and that is fatal for the prosecution's case."

Story from BBC NEWS: Source

Published: 2005/11/24 00:35:53 GMT

© BBC MMV

Castro   

^ Our topic poster is confusing the difficulty with which rape case pass through the legal system with the share of the blame the victim has. By posting the article above, he is insinuating that success in the courts is predicated on the sobriety and 'proper' dress of the accuser. He may be right but that only shows that his ilk are everywhere. He is further insisting that blame is shared because the victim is unable to remember whether she consented or not.

To each his own, I say. I'm out of this topic.

Originally posted by Johnny B:

The psycology of rapists is funny, i´ve seen a Swedish repport where a great per cent of rapists admitted that they would
walk away
if the victim went, "
yeah, give it to me ,you lil yummy thing, give it all to me
".

So ,
it takes only 3 words to break a man´s ego.
Is it in ?
?

Some here seem to forget that the topic is about the BLAME on the victim.

Lol, Ngonge. The last thing on my mind would be a rapists ego. I'm not sure I'd have the presence/lack of mind to try that method if attacked. I prefer something a little more hands on. I took self-defence classes loong ago. I didn't do it so I could use pop psychology with an attacker but to cause PAIN and debilitate the bast*rd.

Baluug   

We shouldn't even be arguing like this. We all know that rape is disturbing, senseless, and Xaraam, and that regrettably, it is a thing which is happening all too much and doesn't seem to be something that will stop. But we all have to be vigilant, careful, and keep on the straight path, and insha Allah better our chances that we won't be involved in such a heinous act, whether perpetrator or victim. Nuff said.

Cara.   

She became ill and a member of staff asked Mr Dougal, who was working as a security guard, to walk her home.

She told the court she could remember little else apart from lying on the corridor floor and briefly emerging from unconsciousness to be aware "that something was happening".

That is truly revolting. Woman gets sick, security guard comes to her aid, woman becomes unconscious, woman later finds out security guard had sex with her while she was unconscious.

If that's not rape, I don't know what is.

But I'm sure Viking isn't denying that it is rape, only that the woman is not to blame.

The problem with this whole discussion is that some are confusing the responsibility a woman has to keep herself safe, with whether the woman is to blame for the rapist's actions. In other words, would you give a rapist a lighter sentence because his victim was drunk or flirtatious? In the end, as this story, demonstrates, that's all that matters.

What a preposterous and irresponsible suggestion. Women are not responsible for getting rapped nor is what they wear legitimise their rape.

You can chuck out of the window what woman wears as deterent because we KNOW that is not a deciding factor in rapes. Both modestly dressed and scantly dressed women have almost equal chances of getting rapped. If not, then we should assume that is the case. The best defense against any crime is overbearing due diligence. NEVER take chance, always assume the worst. Any woman can get rapped regardless of how she dresses should be the working assumption. Because the stakes are that high.

A topic of interest to me is animal rape. There two types I wanna discuss.

1. Animals raping other animals. How should we protect these victims and bring justice to the rapists? Who should a raped lioness or dog contact to file a rape charge? At the moment there is NO place for them to go, I think that is a great injustice.

2. Humans raping animals. This takes the prize of underreported crimes. The number of raped goats alone is astronomical. Yet not a sinlge individual has been arrested for raping a goat. This is one of the greatest tragedies of our era.

Zafir   

Why is only rape that important to you, what about the ongoing murders that take place every day? What about the po cats (so Poor, they can’t even afford the other ‘o’ and ‘r’) being thrown from buildings making look like an accident, cutting their miserable **** life’s short.

What about the dog that’s being forced to have sex with women, that is being dragged to different set everyday? Isn’t even given the choice of blonds and brunets, but is able and willing to have sex or even rape some of his own kind. And to add insult to his injury, he don’t even get paid for being apart of this picture. Sucks doesn’t it.

Then there was the case of Mr.LaxWa$e, I don’t this dude personally but I think to get a name like that as sir/nick name, he musta done a good number of on pretty lil female sheep. Just imagine, his grandson going “Granpa, why is your name laxwa$e?†and him going “ I know what ya thinking†:D

But as Socod badne stated the broader issue here still stands. Where do we go from here?

Viking   

Originally posted by Castro:

^ I should have known you had an agenda all along. Silly me.

Originally posted by Castro:

^ Our topic poster is confusing the difficulty with which rape case pass through the legal system with the share of the blame the victim has. By posting the article above, he is insinuating that success in the courts is predicated on the sobriety and 'proper' dress of the accuser. He may be right but that only shows that his ilk are everywhere. He is further insisting that blame is shared because the victim is unable to remember whether she consented or not.

Waryaa Castro,

You are just full of it mate! 'Ilk' iyo 'agenda' maxaaa keenay? I mereely posted the article because it had somehow to do with what the people who took part in the servey thought.

Since we are talking about RAPE!!!...what about "SEXSOMNIA"...have a read the story below

MAN GETS SEXSOMNIA:

A MAN aquitted of sexual assault because he suffers from "sexsomnia" will have his case reviewed by authorities.....

Source

Would like to hear what X quizit will say about this fella :D

Cheers

Simply_I   

This is getting worse by the minute lool? :D

Wallahi Allah magaciisa aan ku dhartay i have not witnessed such an incident.

Ocean lived across the oceans so my relationship with him was to have someone very far that i can talk to about my problems and dont have to see.

Talo the name says it all, he seemed to be such a wise man but little did i know.

Mukhtar was into science so i was going to get a few tips.

So thanks for the honor friends!!

At least now i have more ajir waiting for me when i go to the hereafter.

Katrina   

Ocean lived across the oceans so my relationship with him was to have someone very far that i can talk to about my problems and dont have to see.

Need a translator, please??