Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

Condoms... what do you think?

It has become a regular for Aid organisations to pump in condoms into the Somali society under the pretext of "save sex"...

But by asking yourself, is there such thing as "save sex" back home as in the western context? It is totally "Xaram" and this is where the Aid organisations failed to see.

Late last year they brought to Somaliland similar kind of shipment of "condoms" as they are doing in Puntland right now. There was a hot debate between the doctors and the religious people, as well as involvement by the Administration and the general public. The selling or importation of "condoms" were later banned by the ministry of Islamic faith (Waasarada diinta iyo Awqaafta).

Today, we see the same organisations doing the same thing in Puntland.

What is your opinion on this topic.

Suldaanka, when the religeous stablishments in Somaliland, Puntland or the South try to accuse some western organizations of promoting safe sex with condoms as a gimmick to spread fornication, immorality and other things, their accusations have some merit. I may sound cynical, but I suspect the real issue is not about AIDS but it is rather an attempt by others to somehow entertain the idea of sexual freedom in the land of the Somalis. Clearly, in this case, condoms mean something much more than mere protection.

Let me just say this. The distribution of condoms is not the answer for combating the spread of AIDS because it does more harm than good on educating the folks in our country about sex. It creates confusion among many. It leads to people becoming less fearful of this deadly disease. If young, uneducated, poor Somalis with no strong Islamic faith are told they can take measures to avoid AIDS and other terrifying diseases by using a condom, the immoral act of having sex with someone other than a marriage partner will become far more rampant thus spreading the disease even more.

Of course AIDS is a danger to our society, but don't you agree monogamy, celibacy or testing are far more affective ways of slowing down the spread of AIDS?

My thoughts.

Sakariye   

Suldaanka

There was and is a chance of people living in those areas who did or are doing now sex outside marriage, and since all people are not good and obeying the law of islam "Sex outside marriage is Xaram", my thinking is that whoever helps them with protection is doing a good job. I dont think this will encourage people to commit sins or anything unless they desire, this is totally a good way of stopping the spread of STD deseases

I hope you understand this.

Samafal   

Suldaanka, when the religeous stablishments in Somaliland, Puntland or the South try to accuse some western organizations of promoting safe sex with condoms as a gimmick to spread fornication, immorality and other things, their accusations have some merit.

I agree.Condoms might work for the western society but not somali people. The mentality is totally different. anayways Somali people dont need condoms, they need food and more food

Warmoog   

Suldaanka,

I think the focus should be put on long-term solutions because giving people condoms is a quick fix. In distributing them, two wrongs are being done. Firstly, people are being given the tools with which to commit sin without worry. And secondly, they're being given false hope in a product that's not always effective. If condoms don't prevent pregnancy 100%, how can they be expected to prevent diseases?

In my view, the expenses being incurred in shipping and distributing them is a waste of money, which can be put to better use. Talking to people, encouraging celibacy and monogamy, giving them helpful pamphlets, or posting flyers and signs educating them about sexual health are better options. Moreover, I think Somalis really have to start encouraging each other to visit doctors and have check-ups because it seems like many people hate doing so. They're afraid of what they'll hear and often times they'd rather not know if they have something or not, in which case they run the risk of passing whatever they may have onto others.

Salaama.

Som@li   

Sultaanka

i believe providing comdoms is a way of encouraging people to committ Zina, and about the recent shipment of condoms, they may be infected with HIV.

I agree with you all but as the shipment has been done measures are to be taken to find a solution. If they are distributed freely they promote zinnah to our ppl. What can be done is have them be distributed in the hospital to married couples. As Yasmine said they are not %100 fool-proof they can be used as a birth control method. Thus if Allah wants a child to be granted shall be so without taking pills,...other unislamic birthcontrol methods.

there is a great islamic formula which is kula ma yu'adii ila haram fahuwa haram ,meaning anything that may lead to haram is haram.what i am trying to say is that we all know that zina is islamicaly haram,alot of people may stayawayfrom fornication simply becuase it is haram,but there are other who rather do not want to commit zina for other reasons,for example fear of ibarassmen,fear of pregnancy E.t.c, if by any chance those people find way to cover up thier diry action ,they will without hesitation commit it.i think west are so jealousy about our values,islamic values,i am saying this becuase if you look statstic about the AIDS,you will find aout that none-moslim population contract it far more than moslim populations,even country like somalia where there are no medical organisation to overlook bears clears evidence of what i said.

they want to creat as one of you suggested the concept of free sex.

that is an ecceptable to us .we shouln't let them do.

Kruella   

I don't think condoms are in any way corruptive to the morals of our society. People are the main corruptive force. The way I see it, promiscuous attitude in somali societies have existed way before the introduction of condoms by the Aid workers or by native doctors. Men/women went somewhere for business/pleasure, got their groove on with some stranger came back home and unknowingly infected the partner. The only way we can use the condom is as a tentative tool to prevent the spread of AIDS in the sexually active crowd. Coupled with an education in Sexual health (something that is in a weird way taboo)and tell plp that condoms are certainly not the best protection and the most effective way and we must as always preach abstinence. However, it is a HUGE mistake to cry foul and exclaim that the west is trying to infiltrate their dirty morality in our society by the means of condoms. Even if plp were taught about abstinence, high moral Islamic values and avoiding promiscuity, there is always a group of people who will practice sexual freedom so they should be aware that condoms are at least an option. But on the other hand, I agree that condoms are introduced under the pretext of AIDS but it's mostly in order to control the births in our societies and limit the population. That works out for the western forces, less people to cause political rukus. Keep in mind that like most of you here I do believe that it's better not to cover the wound with band "aid" but to take care of the root of the infection.

Salamz

BN   

Salaam,

Flooding our nation with cheap western condoms are hardly the solution to the Aids epidemic. They are widely available across Africa; yet this is where two thirds of HIV/AIDs victims reside. Since the vast majority of the population of Somalia are youth, we must look towards abstinence, along with education(with an Islamic focus), in the fight/prevention of these diseases.

Also, one must only look to our neighbors(Djibouti, Kenya and Ethiopia), to see the path that awaits us if we do not take strong, immediate, and sustained steps against the spread of STD's.

Wasalaamu Alaykum

Here is an update on the story:

Shixnad Kondom Ah Ayaa Maanta Lagu Gubay Goob fagaare ah Magaalada Boosaaso

112 Kartoon oo isugu jira Kondomka loo isticmaalo Galmada Ragga iyo Dumarka ayaa manta lagu gubay toga Baalade ee Koonfurta kaga began magaalada Boosaaso.

Shixnadaan Kondomka ah (Salfatiivo) ayaa dhowaan laga soo rogay dekedda magaalada Boosaaso, waxaana ka aloosmay muran xoog leh oo u dhexeeya Maamulka Puntland iyo Culimada Diinta, haseyeeshee shir ka dhacay xarunta gobolka Bari maalmihii la soo dhaafay ayaa lagu go’aamiyey in gebi ahaantiisaba la gubo.

Radio Midnimo

Full Article

Kondoomkii Boosaaso la keenay oo la gubay, dad aad u badan oo dawaaday gubitaankii..

Waxaa shalay magaalada Boosaaso lagu gubay kartoomo ay ku jiraan cinjirka loo isticmaalo galamada ee loo yaqaan Kandoomka kadib markii ay maxkamada darajada 1aad ee magaalada Boosaaso ku amartay in la gubo gebi ahaan waxyaalahan.

Kartoomadan oo ay ku jiraan Kondoomka ayaa ahaa kuwii ugu horeeyey oo noocda ah oo si ganacsi ah loogu keeno dalka ayadoo ay si weyn uga horyimaadeen inta badan shacabka oo ay horkacayaan culumaa'udiinka magaalada oo si weyn walaac uga muujiyey ka ganacsiga iyo faafinta cinjirkaan kondoomka oo ay ku tilmaameen mid anshax xumo iyo isutaga xaaraanta ah kor u qaadaya oo dhiiri gelinaya.

Maxkamada ayaa sidoo kale sheegtay in Kondoomkan uu yahay mid dhiiri galinaya isutaga xaaraanta ah sidaa daraadeedna aysan banaaneen in dalka la keeno.

Go'aanka Maxkamada ayaa u eg mid si weyn taageero uga helay shacabka magaalada oo soo dhaweeyey go'aankan ayadoo aad ka dareemi karto sida weyn ay dadka uga soo qeyb galeen gubitaankii kortoomadii ay ku jireen kondoomka.

Note: Maxamed Ahmed

Bosaaso, Puntland

Full Article

BEAU_MEC   

Regardless of what our personal beliefs are, those who are going to have sex are going to have sex. Somalia is no different from any other country in the world. I think our people should be educated about condoms, distributing them is a different matter all together. I do understand that it may promote unlawful sex, but then again those who will indulge will indulge no matter what. Although it is a sensitive subject i think that condoms should most certainly be available to the Somalis. I for one am pro condoms, although I am not in nay way condoning unlawful sex.

Then again somebody rightly stated that condoms are widely available in other parts of Africa in which the the spead of STDs and STIs continues to rise. It is a tricky subject for a country like Somalia, but I dont think banning condoms will encourage abstience. In my opinion it will worsen the situation.

@ +

lol   

Hold up folks! I thought the educated Somalis ruled this part of the cyper world but your this belittled arguments makes me wonder if I am really right to assume as such. Coz you all sound like the ignorant self-righteous so called Islamic scholars I have encountered in Puntland.

Everyone back home or in diaspora, knows that sex outside marriage is ZINA and Xaram, nonetheless that doesn't seem to stop them. THEY ARE DOING IT. The percentage of AIDS infected among Somalis is on the rise, and if we don't take swift steps in creating awareness then half if not more of the population will die in a decade or two. Protection or Condom is one of the ways to atleast slow down the spread of AIDS people's minds have matured enough to know that AIDS is indeed a reality. Majority of the Somalis back home think that AIDS is for the gaalo, and that a muslim will never get it. Go figure, they are dying by the dozens.

To my knowledge condom is a bliss and should be encouraged, anyone with a strong Imaan will not be astrayed by a simple rubber. And the assumption of any gaal who extends helping hand, has a hidden agenda is jaahilnimo. So please folks!

u definitley aigt in my book condom! try-me, abaayo, we got alot miss quided wannabee culimo these days!

have u ever noticed these days every ***** is playing the wadaad game! lord have merci! them buggers will going straight u know where!!!

not to disney but downtown jahanama!!!word to all abusers!!!