Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Troll, Shah and Sheeko

I'm just pathetic when it comes to finishing books lately, always giving up halfway. If the story doesnt grip me by the throat by page 10, I'm gone... terrible habit. This was the fate of that Somali novel (Roge), 'The Joke' and Nadifa's book (although I reached page 40 or something on this book at least) :( .

Now that you were balling your eyes out on the train Ibtisam, I'm going to pick up Nadifa's book again... and leave my other book halfway (its called 'the 4-hour work week' and talks about how to free yourself from the 9-5 shackles using technology and globalisation - pretty cool book and an ex-boss, now a self-employed man who works half the year and enjoys himself the rest of the year recommended it).

Shidane getting killed made ibti cry??

the only sad thing in that book was the poor girl who got locked in the cupboard and nearly dead as result. everything else was plah.

Ibtisam   

^^Some people have not read the book you know, do you mind not telling them everything. And no, the bit where he nearly makes it but never quite get to meet.

Serenity it is a good book, I was willing him on.

Originally posted by *Ibtisam:

^^Yes, we all live next door to each other, and we have breakfast, lunch and dinner together too.

Ah that explains it! Marti marabtaan?

NGONGE   

Ibti, without giving much of the story away; when I finished reading that book I had the sick feeling that I've been duped. This was not a story about a young man's struggles or the amazing journey of life that he underwent. This was Nadifa being a typical Somali woman and going on and on and on about missing fathers and single mother households.

Though well written, entertaining, gripping and sad in parts, the final emotion I got from reading the book was that it was all nothing but KALAM FAARIQ. I hate stories that have badly concealed morals to them.

OK, stop it! I haven't read the book yet. This thread should now have a spoiler alert.

Serenity, I should warn you about reading the 4 hour work week, lol. I read it maybe 3 years ago and haven't been the same since. I used some of the ideas in the book. Check out his blog too.

Ibtisam   

Ngonge, lol I guess because as fiction goes, she had the limitation of sticking to her fathers story line, if he did that, not much else she could've done with it though.

I think the end was poor, but the rest of the book was good, emotional and so on so maybe the fact the ending was just bland is okay.

I did not get the idea that she was going on and on about single mothers and missing fathers. I think she glazed over it as the norm, along with wondering kids trekking the same route.

Sorry Sheh, we’ll stop.

Hey how you doing sheh?

Sheh, now I've no choice but to finish it before starting up again on the black mamba. Maybe we should have a catch up after I finish it - I would like to know how much of the principles you managed to apply and if you can be classified as the NR :D

Ibs and NG - maybe you should both consider sending Nadifa a critique of her book? I'm sure she would appreciate the far-off-the-mark analysis icon_razz.gif

lets ruin it for Sheherazade. icon_razz.gif

the only funny thing in that book is the comparison made between Haile Selassie and little Jama :D

Ibti - that bit was stupendously foolish (written)- none of it made sense.

The book was full of historical inaccuracies - the british were portrayed as good all the time. why were lots of northern somalis serving in the italian colony army anyway??

Serenity - who knew you were xaasidad icon_razz.gif

i did not like the paganism portrayal of the somalis and the swearing.

Ibtisam   

Sayid it is fiction, not a historical book :rolleyes: Bloody farah, did you think the jinns were real too :D