Sign in to follow this  
Herer

Somali Sisters gone .........

I'm not quite sure i understand the purpose of this thread, maxa kaa wada "Do they consider their job ilbaaxniimo?"

Mataano are amazing women who went above and beyond to reach "the american dream"

If you call assimilation ilbaaxnimo, then i guess!?? :rolleyes:

Herer   

Originally posted by Fu-Fu:

adiga ilbaxnimo maxaad utaqaan?

A civilized person is one who respects his culture. A civilized person has several qualities such as polite, well-mannered, cultured, refined, sophisticated, educated, developed, etc.

"We drew inspiration from our childhood & SOMALIA" ? LMAO!

The dresses are GORGEOUS but there is NOTHING Somali about them! That is an outright ridiculous claim!

I would wear all of the stuff I saw, they were very nice. None of the stuff were (too) short. The only thing I'd do if I were them is make the models wear separate sleeves with the dresses (or long shirts underneath to cover the arms & neck area).

What I'd love to tell my fellow beautiful, ambitious Somali sisters is: you CAN be successful, amazing, gorgeous and do a lot of great things, without compromising your religion (i.e taking off your hijab or flashing flesh). If anything, people will respect you more.

Sisters, we can have it all! This world AND the next! xoxo

Herer   

Originally posted by G G:

The dresses are GORGEOUS but there is NOTHING Somali about them! That is an outright ridiculous claim!

I would wear all of the stuff I saw, they were very nice. None of the stuff were (too) short. The only thing I'd do if I were them is make the models wear separate sleeves with the dresses (or long shirts underneath to cover the arms & neck area).

What I'd love to tell my fellow beautiful, ambitious Somali sisters is: you CAN be successful, amazing, gorgeous and do a lot of great things, without compromising your religion (i.e taking off your hijab or flashing flesh). If anything, people will respect you more that you haven't changed your beliefs or values.

Good advice. JZK allahu khayr Sis.

Originally posted by G G:

What I'd love to tell my fellow beautiful, ambitious Somali sisters is: you CAN be successful, amazing, gorgeous and do a lot of great things, without compromising your religion (i.e taking off your hijab or flashing flesh). If anything, people will respect you more.

salaams

you're so right GG.. its not somali at all! no dirac anywhere :D but the dresses in the fall are really nice with a shirt or for at home or even if you're like me and you wear abaya since the fabrics she describes sound so lush.. a nice dress in velvet or silk and looooong not like these crazy trashy clothes you see in the stores.. hopefully you can get'em on amazon or somewhere

ameen walaykum assalaam

" a nice dress in velvet or silk and looooong not like these crazy trashy clothes you see in the stores."

Bint, I know! Lets hope they don't cost a fortune either! I personally can't stand new designers who dare charge as much as chanel et al. It's like, these old fashion giants have been there for ages, you know? They own the right to rip people off! And not only that but they're so good they make you hate everything they've designed at the end of the season. Now THAT is exceptional talent.

B   

These mataano are hot. M_aden_nur, get real. this is 2009.

knalmtalkinbout

Well done Ayaan & Idil! all the best with your future collections. And hope you help your wax-kala-jeedjeeda-o o-birbirqaya-wearing somali sisters dharka Siiriya iyo indonisia ha ka nastaane bale

Originally posted by Allamagan:

Well done Ayaan & Idil! all the best with your future collections. And hope you help your
wax-kala-jeedjeeda-o o-birbirqaya-wearing
somali sisters dharka Siiriya iyo indonisia ha ka nastaane bale

I'm not a fan of birbiriq but I dare say Somali girls in general dress waaay better than guys. I don't blame you though, you poor guys don't have anyone to help you, so you leave it to films like Save the Last Dance :D