Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

The Art Of How To Dress

The Art Of How To Dress

( Originally Published 1902 )

The fashion of attire is a question of the passing day; its esthetics is a question of the ages. Persons of taste will avoid the ridiculous, whatever may be the demands of fashion, yet will not vary so far from the prevailing custom in dress as to expose themselves to ridicule from singularity.

Dress has in it some of the essentials of the fine arts, and to be well dressed requires other requisites than the possession of wealth and a good figure. Good taste and refinement stand first; all other essentials come second. To dress well, the qualities of color, harmony, and contrast need to be observed, and a trained and artistic eye is as essential as a sensible and well-balanced mind. Dress, to be in good taste, by no means needs to be costly. Fit, proportion, and harmony in shade and color are the objects to be observed, and while there should be a reasonable consideration of the dictates of fashion, no person of sense will follow fashion blindly, to the neglect of the essentials of adaptation to figure, face, and occupation.

A Well Dressed Woman.

Some one says that "as a work of art a well-dressed woman is a study." The toilette of such a person is always well-chosen, with consideration of its purpose, and is always adapted to the situation, whether it be breakfast-room or ball-room, promenade or reception. If she loves bright colors, and they agree with her complexion, they will be as harmoniously arranged as the tints of an artist. If subdued colors are demanded, she will not let any desire for display lead her into the use of garish tints. If she is young, her dress will be youthful ; if she is old, it will avoid showiness. She will always rather follow than lead the prevailing fashion, and in no event will permit the costume of the day to lead her into violation of good taste and common sense.

The golden rule in dress is to avoid extremes. To affect peculiarities of costume shows a lack of good taste, while it is not less unwise to follow fashions which are unbecoming to the special person. Ladies who are neither very young nor very attractive in appearance will do best to wear quiet colors and simple styles ; while those who are not rich can always appear tastefully dressed, if they exercise care in the choice, and display skill and judgment in the arrangement of materials. A dressmaker of good taste is an essential to good dressing. The dressmaker is a woman's good or evil genius, and may do much to make or mar her position in social circles.

Baashi   

QL,

Speaking of fashion, lately, I’ve been going around wearing mucawis, saandals, long-sleeve shirt, and my must-have bakooro. My wife thinks I look cool in them. My American friends find it very interesting and I got folks mostly strangers wanting to strike a lil convo at the starbucks where I sip tea.

The thing is though my Somali friends find it very strange. They discourage me not to wear it. Some call me reer baadiye :mad: . They think I’m weird nomad...war bal Shaqsii ka tali you would think Somalis would relate to a guy like me and Americans would find my dress style weird and strange.

Anni waan yaabey bal maxay iga rabaan mey iska key daayeen :D

Lol@Bash Bro I cant fault you there you doing what we should be all doing and that is lead rather than assimilate. In these kudos to you for highlighting adifferent kinda fashion and Im pretty sure once they weather permits and you wear your Abo cumaar wind permitting too ofcouse, Im sure you could easily be American Idol and A somali villain. Just shows you why we will never been anything but Mundane n shortsighted cause we want what others have and not what we got. Kinda reminds me of running away from ones own shadow. Waa Ariin layablee

Viking   

Quantum Leap,

Some things have changed nowadays...

If she is young, her dress will be youthful ; if she is old, it will avoid showiness.

...middle aged women (generally wesetrn) try all they can to look like teenagers.

Baashi,

I think that is cool! The westernised individuals who think they are modernised usually shy away from traditional dressing. I applaude leaders like Mandela, Obasanjo, Gaddafi and Castro who don't dress like westerners with suits but instead have their own styles.

Paragon   

Lol@Baashi

War ninyahow aniga, when I first came to Boqoradda Carrigay ka taliso, I wore my macawus but couldn't get peace with it. My non-Somali friends from work would just pull it down curiously, so, intii anoo khabaar moog ah layga xayuubin lahaa, waxaanba is iri, tar-galka iska xiro

QL - I am thinking of adapting the 1900s Dress codes, I just wonna get some shaxaad from Boqoradda iyo ehelkeeda.

Baashi   

Looooooooooool@Jamal...before "xayuubis" there is xod-xodosho right? War ninyahow carrigeyaga la iskuma saqajaamo maxaa yeelay ninkii safaad nin kale ula yimaada sheeko "cowboys" la dhaho aa la tageysaa. Annaga fariidam aan ku noolahey ee ninyahow isaga kaaley halka caraweeladu ka taliso oo noogu imow the land of the brave...the cowboy way! Maradaad doontid yaa xidhaneysaa kaliya waa in kalsooni aad leedahey.

Awoowe raggu wali ma sheekeysan dee...xaal waa sidee mise annaa kuu imaada. Rag waa shaah oo sadexda hore ha iga cadeyn...that means the whole thermuuuuus is not enough :D

Pacifist   

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never was fond of macaawis, but to each his own.

Just b/c its a Somali thing doesn't make it cool though IMO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is their something you are fond of that has to do with men??? 4REAL...

feebaro

Walaal take easy stop depickting on DA

You guys seem to make her a Man Hater

Am not sure what the situation is here but i have noticed that a lot of people are calling on her

Brothers and Sisters

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:

The Prophet said, "A man set out to visit a brother (in Faith) in another town and Allah sent an angel on his way. When the man met the angel, the latter asked him, "Where do you intend to go?" He said, "I intend to visit my brother in this town". The angel said, "Have you done any favour to him?" He said, "No, I have no desire except to visit him because I love him for the sake of Allah, the Exalted, and Glorious." Thereupon the angel said, "I am a messenger to you from Allah (to inform you) that Allah loves you as you love him (for His sake)."

Muslim

Paragon   
Baashiyow Adeer, sowtaa aan bilaabey 'thread' cusub. Waa inoo halkaas sxb. Ragga waa inuu isla shaahaa oo iska war-dhuraa, oo isla dha-dhanshaa warka dhuuxiisa.

Tuujiye   

Xasna you are right sis I shouldn't pick on her like that.

Am not sure what the situation is here but i have noticed that a lot of people are calling on her

But sis why don't you ask why? why is everyone saying the samething about her before you jump and diffend her sis...

J11 xagee baa lagu shiriyaa awoowe. Qoodhaa iyo xeradayee.

Wareer badanaa

Feebaro,

You must be suffering from a bad case of fever. But if it will make you feel better, I've worn dirac about 3X in my life.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

oh crap!

That will only make me see anti-somali.

Will this never end.....!

Hey Shaqsii...tis good to see you posting, but fashion tips from 1902? Maxaa ku qaaday? :eek:

Baashi,

Oh dear. The cat is officially out of the bag awoowe. I should have guessed you were an Old Age Pensioner! And to think I used to fancy you! redface.gifredface.gifredface.gif

Baashi   

AS,

Ahem! it is okay darling...I'm just in the late 60s and I'm in shape with a lot of dawg :cool:

Don't you get embarrassed...u hear! I'm heart broken now...I keep losing them shuut! :D