Sign in to follow this  
-Serenity-

Troll Corner

Malika that’s funny indeed, I guess I underestimated the power of the integration project one forgets who one is when one is busy conforming. Well mukesh did wonders or shall I say the 2 pills and 2 coffee and 20min power nap I took…ma getting old I need all the help I can get.

Well in both accounts there were dashing/professionals/rich now am no fool I know those kinds need to be retained within the community whenever I come cross them I like to hook them up with someone within the community its only fare such people should not go wasted anyway but this two were on another level of there own…..am no longer practicing am just shocked….conformity is a sin in my books

STOIC   

CL, I have few Somali friends who are professional and non-professional -Doctors, Xamaliis and some even working for the world bank and going around the globe and the whole nine yard-and they all drink! There are millions of Muslims around the world who drink and practice Islam. Sure the drinking instinct may drive these individuals into non-practicing mode, but I have yet to see them reject Islam completely (as in your case). As the twig bent, so shall the tree grows. These individuals who have tendencies to drink may have acquired them as a result of the environment they are around. I can testify to you that many Muslim kids start Drinking in college parties, but this is not excuse only an avenue that made it easier for them .I’m sure they have a brain and mind of their own when they make a decision to drink.The mind absorbs upon which it is feed.Some of the people that drink are not bad people they are only wrapped up in a bad addiction. As I have analyzed the experience of my friends in retrospect I think it is not great think to look into only the negative side of the person as there maybe many positive aspects that make up that person. ;)

Malika   

^Ah well,I dont want to sound all high and mighty here,but despite all the glory they possess they arent good enough for the community,weakness isnt an attractive attribute to me..And Islam doesnt need them anyhow![in response to their comment of no longer practicing]..

They drink is a problem in my book, but what shocked me was “I am no longer practicing” that’s outright rejection of Islam, how can one reply to that….

Malika   

^I would have done the same,probably add..Goodluck!..Lol

Awlugeeye,indeed these bad habits are formed due to enviroments people are exposed to,but thats just an excuse,its still weakness..We have all been exposed to drinking,drugs and all sort but its the choices one makes in order to comform is the problem..

STOIC   

“I’m no longer practicing” could mean that they don’t do all the obligations of Islam like praying and fasting, but they may still believe In Allah. I don’t know the situation of your acquaintance, but this could be that they are acknowledging the resistance of their inner soul of practicing the religion at this point of their lives. They maybe cut off from their religion now until they surrender their lifestyle. There is no guarantee that they will be back to their religion, but maybe there is a potential coming back to the fold. I can understand that I maybe erroneous here for suggesting an imposable explanation, but we don’t know until they explain themselves as to what they mean when they said so. I can understand that there is neediness on some of you guys to see every Somali to be perfect Muslim, but the world is not like that.

Stoic I don’t think every Somali to be perfect I think most are hypocrites, but I draw the line on certain things for you to tell me you’re no longer practicing Islam is big big thing and I was not going to question the man any-further he can save himself.

Malika   

Brother Stoic,being a Muslim means one who has submitted to the will of Allah and follows his words[accepts Islam].That means following the teaching of the quran and the sunnah of the prophets full stop,there are nor if or buts here..

There is no excuses,if one utters the words he or she no longer practices Islam they mean they do not believe in Allah...

Your right,the world isnt all white and black and all Somalis arent perfect followers of the deen..but doesnt mean we shouldnt be shocked if one crosses the line!

Ibtisam   

I don't see the big deal, many people drink and still believe in god. Some people drink, knowing it is wrong, but because it is a weakness, others drink because they feel like having a drink or it gives them a boost when they need, others do it for social reasons. The higher up the ladder you go, the less time you spend with your community and Muslim people. You find yourself in new circles which drinking is a norm or even expected, and it becomes a normality in your life.

I was reflecting the other day, the change I've gone thorough in recent years. I remember when I was 15/16 I would not go and sit somewhere if people were drinking, or attend parties or even go to eat in restaurants where they serve alcohol. Fast forward to 2008, I've been in events, eating out with friends and co-workers who at times get so drank I have to help them into cabs, I’ve gone away on conferences where by 11pm, I had to retreat to my room because drunkenness brings out the worst in people. I've gone so far in accepting the alcohol consumption within the Muslim community and the Somali community, that it does not even offend me when people offer me a drink, nor does it bother me what or how people drink or what nations/religion they hail from. Drinking is a sin, like any other, there is nothing that makes it worse than other major sins such as fornication or stealing. Frankly I don't see the big deal. a sin is a sin is a sin, so unless you are going to quiz every sinner there is no need to pick on a specific sin.

CL go to Somali, you will see drunken teenagers.

Malika   

^She didnt have much of an issue with the drinking per say but the bluntly declaration of not practicing Islam no more.

Ibtisam   

^^If someone does not believe in God for whatever reason, they are free to say so, they have no shame in front of Allah and deny his existence, why would you expect him to fear you (as a human) or be embarrassed to tell you?) It is a perfectly valid declaration to make, people have the right to disbelieve and declare their disbelieve. Being Somali does not equate being a Muslim

P.s. I think you guys are jumping the gun a bit, he said he does not practise Islam anymore, nothing about I don't believe in Islam anymore. It is the same as saying I am a non practising Muslim (I know it makes no sense, because the essence of Islam is practice in its nature) but you would not say that this person in a no longer a Muslim would you?

ohh lord@ibti and stoic...

I don’t care if he drinks or not I know my share of somali drunks hell my mum used to tell me even somalia back in the days had bars….i know that’s nothing to be shocked by but the statement is what threw me off

Malika   

Ibti honey, one can not declare not to be practicing and yet be a Muslim.The whole essence of being a Muslim is to follow the guidance of the holy Quran.Islam has two guidances one it teaching us about what do and the other is teaching us about how to avoid those things we are not to do..[i hope am being clear here]..So if one claims they do not practice Islam then they cant be fully Muslims because they are denying the a whole essense of being a Muslim..

In the matter of what people do,but yet are muslims indeed am so aware of their hypocracy, by God I too do have my moments of hypocracy.. :(

Ibtisam   

^^Logically yes, but you as an individual cannot take someone out of the fold of Islam, if they are not practicing, the Culamah say that if the person, believe in Allah and Mohammed and the revelation, but is not practising out of laziness or whatever reason other than disbelieve, we cannot say they are not a Muslim. If I remember correctly there are two ways of going out of the fold of Islam, both require intention. but allah knows best, I will try and dig up the evidence if I get time inshallah.

But I agree, the essence of Islam is practicing.